Interview for a job?

observer

Heard a tale of a youngster, who applied for a job at a call centre; being interviewed "on the phone". Now I can see some advantages in this, mainly disfigurement or ethnicity couldn't be issues. But, some of the questions may be, EG. Are you gay, bisexual or staight - now what precisely is the relevence of such a question when choosing an employee? :unsure:

Telephone interviews are common, particularly where the main job activity is, er, talking on the phone.

Now I can see some advantages in this, mainly disfigurement or ethnicity couldn't be issues.

What a strange thing to say.

Are you gay, bisexual or staight (sic)

The answer, of course, is "none of your ******* business"

Maybe that's what they were looking for.

Well over here they tell you to fill out an application on their website - and they MAY get back to you. Absolutely no personal touch at all, unless they want to interview you. They are not to ask those sort of questions(sexuality, race, religion) and can be sued for doing so.

EG. Are you gay, bisexual or staight

The correct answer to which is "yes" (well the engineers answer that is. Totally truthful, but giving no information that is useful) :mrgreen:

The best job interview I ever had went along the lines of "Two of everything you were born with, good you've got the job, start in the morning 8.00" :shock:

Well over here they tell you to fill out an application on their website - and they MAY get back to you. Absolutely no personal touch at all, unless they want to interview you. They are not to ask those sort of questions(sexuality, race, religion) and can be sued for doing so.

They have to ask those sorts of questions over here....especially in the likes of the Public Sector; just to ensure they are employing enough blind, one-legged, Asian Lesbians to fill their quotas

Velly funny Obs-san :) :smile: Actually it was a bit of a culture shock for me as my previous 2 ships had been a 220,000 DWT OBO and an 86,000 DWT crude carrier. So going to Eastham and seeing this toy 1700 DWT product tanker sitting there was slightly mind blowing :shock: :shock: :shock::wink: :wink:

• 2 weeks later...