What was this building called?

algy

I'm not ignoring all the other replies, but Dizzy is correct, it is the former Wesleyan Chapel, Upper Bank Street, with the pupils of the Ragged Sunday School posing for the picture, the photo was taken in 1908. the street that the building frontage is on is Upper Bank street with the side street being known as "Cloth hall street".

I feel another BAFTA speech coming on

God only knows Wireboy as I wasn't even looking for it. I'd like to say it was my expertise in local history .... but it was a complete fluke :oops:

I was trying to find some old roads in the 1900's near to where some of my ancesters once lived as I've been doing my doing my family tree for months. I thought others of the same family and/or people they married may have lived nearby as people tended to do those days in adjoining streets but wasn't sure about a road name that popped up so I looked at map to see if it was near them ...... and there the was the 'ragged school' just starring me in the face. :shock:

I've never seen it before let alone heard of it so I thought I'd just throw it in as a guess as it seemed a bit spooky that it should just be there. I was awaiting my 'Dont be daft Dizzy you Dunce' reply :shock:

Creepy and weird is all I can say.

I didn't find any more relatives but at least I learnt someting new today ... thanks Algy :D

Arty said The Wesleyan Methodist though so I recon he would have got there first if I hadn't taken time out to do a bit more of my family stuff :wink:

Here's the image that 'showed' it to me........ top left corner

raggedschool.jpg

• 2 weeks later...