Car parking

Wireboy

Just something on my mind that I thought I could get of my chest. I am interested to see what other forum users think.

When visiting a family member/friends house. Do you park outside their house if empty or do park outside next-door, a few doors down or even further?

The reason I ask is that the last couple of months outside my house has turned into the visitor car park for the street. I am watching cars pull up and then visit house's next door or even a couple of doors down when outside the house they are visiting is empty.

It seems word of mouth has spread to park here when visiting. I don't know why they pick on my house. It is not a "natural" parking spot by being on an end or off road a little bit. It is just a normal house in the middle of the street.

I have two cars myself. So when someone is outside my house my car has to go outside someone else’s. If I know which house the visitors car belongs to I try to park outside there's to prove a point but sometimes this is 5 doors down.

What adds insult to injury is quite a few of the houses in question do not own cars so outside their houses are always empty.

Recently is has got so bad they now park outside my gates and I have to knock on several doors trying to find who it is so I can get out. An apology is never offered and I am losing patience.

You would have to see it to believe it. Imagine a long street with very few cars parked on it, then one house with 2 cars outside in front and another outside the gates with surrounding houses being empty. None of which cars belong to me.

I get on very well with all my neighbours and I have known them a long time and it is not them but there visitors but I am starting to get pi***d off not being able to get up my own driveway.

I have always made my visitors park up my drive or outside my gates to avoid upsetting neighbours but I am starting to think I am a mug for doing this. I know you have no legal right to park outside your own house but surely they can’t block the drive way? Where is the common decency and courtesy from these people?

Am I being an old grump or do some of you sympathise?

Your thoughts please. :P

Yep your being a grump. :D

It could be some bizarre logic being applied that goes something like… well most on the road don’t own a car and so wouldn’t understand how frustrating parking can be, so they park in fron of yours knowing you’ll understand! You need to be hyper careful because getting yourself wound up about other peoples parking is as I said on another thread a sign that your life’s getting boring. :shock:

I almost have the reverse problem in that I have a big drive so never need to park in front of the house. I constantly tell my neighbours visitors to park in front of mine rather than directly on the tight bend in the road., (it’s a safety thing) but they just wont do it.

My advice is to go and talk with your neighbours and explain your issue. They’ll probably call you a grump when your gone but it might just help. :P Other than that, go crash your car, quit you job and walk out on the wife and very soon you won't care about where others are parking. :D

Bill :)

Certainly I sympathise. It s a growing problem which will only get worse You can play silly beggars and trap them in, but there are no winners.

If I have the same trouble I leave my car outside my own house which perhaps sends out a message. In our street we have a couple of rogue white vans which are over-large and park anywhere. At the end of the day what can you do?

Parking right on junctions is another growing problem where I live. I blame the planners from the early 1900's - not building garages.

Happy days

I get out a lot Bill. One of my points is when I come back from being out, I can't get up my driveway and have to play the guess a door game to find who's car it is.

I know I am being grumpy but I don't think I am asking much to be able to get in and out of my driveway as I please.

Once my blood pressure comes back down after not being able to get in my driveway again this morning, I will be a calm as a breeze. :P

Wireboy

Was only kidding of course. I'm fortunate now that I live on a road where everyone has a good-sized drive so the only cars parked on the road tend to be visitors but I can sympathise with people like yourself that have parking difficulties.

We tax cars according to their engine size, maybe we should have a tax on the length to encourage shorter cars.

My grump is slightly different. Why do people with driveways park, not only on the road but up on the pavement instead of using their driveways? I know they park on the pavement to avoid obstructing the road, but when this means that pedestrians have to walk on the road it can be very annoying. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Probably cos, if they used their drives, some Richard Head would park across it thus blocking it. Most terraced housing areas were never designed with car ownership in mind and if one property has more than one car, you've got problems, as there is no "right" to park outside on a public highway in any case. Generally, most decent neighbours respect each other's parking habits; but visitors to local shops etc tend to fly park without any regard to access/exit requirements of locals. As for parking on pavements, which is technically illegal, if folk parked on the street, you wouldn't get a fire engine or bin wagon down them. All part of our love affair with the car. :shock:

I had to smile when I saw Harry's post. I know of two white vans in the Grappenhall area that are frequently parked on the junctions at each end of the aptly named Cross Lane.

I have also noticed on occcasions that it would be impossible for a fire appliance to access this area. I don't know what the fire service would do in such an instance but I would hope they would just ram there way through and charge the owners of the obstrucive vehicles for any damage done to the fire appliance.

I do sympathise with you as I live near the hospital and until they introduced parking permits it was not unknown for me to have to park two or three streets away let alone houses away. Even now the wardens do a good trade in parking tickets.

Some even park under the signs that say parking permits only and then moan when they get a ticket.

When all the residents of our street are "in" there are about twenty cars parked in the street. Considering that there are only twelve houses it does make you wonder where they all live. And if next door but one has any sort of a celebration then they can have seven or eight cars turning up with various family members.

One really DRASTIC solution is to print off a few A4 sheets politely explaining your plight and then using a good contact adhesive paste it over the drivers side windscreen. It gives them something to read whilst they spend the next hour or so trying to scrape it off. :twisted::blink:

Unfortunately there is no such thing as "your parking space" unless you have a permit system and even then it doesn't mean another permit holder can't park ouside your house. We all pay road tax and if there is space to park there is nothing legally you can do to stop anyone parking outside your house. Parking across gates may be another issue as that is classed as blocking access I believe

Where I live, I live in the corner of a close and don't have a "front " to park across as my property is only as wide as a few cars where it meets the road and all that is open onto the drive.

That doesn't stop the neighbours parking and blocking our cars in.... A sharp word normally solves the situation though....

And as for your idea on taxing car lengths Bill..... you can bugger off with that idea!! :D

I'm sure you would soon get accustomed to another sort of 'smart' car baz :wink::lol:

Parking can be a pain but like already pointed out you do not have a right to park outside your own home. Don't I know it at times... but on the whole people are pretty decent around here and we all try not to take others spots by parking outside houses where we know the owner usually parks. Others do at times which is a pain but I must admit I tend to ignore visistors as there's not much you can do about those other than to have an inward whinge occasionally and then move our cars later when they have vacated the spots. They have to park somewhere.

However... if I had a drive and someone was parking across it then I'd be blummin' annoyed that's for sure. Although it is not illegal to park across a driveway the highway code does actually state you must not do it.

So if I was you Wireboy I'd have a bit of fun and print myself a selection of signs to put near my drive starting with the nicer 'PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A DRIVEWAY AND AS SUCH I NEED ACCESS TO IT... PLEASE DO NOT OBSTRUCT... Many thanks for your co-operation.

... and then they would get progressively worse until the idiots got the message :wink:

Wireboy, I am probably the last person on earth to give advice about someone parking in front of your property, I am pretty laid back in most things except anyone encroaching on my space especially parking in front of our property, guaranteed to send my blood pressure soaring, so do what I do and rant and rave in private, because as one of the others said confrontation will only bring escalation. If you can't handle it the only option is to move. :blink:

Oddly enough that’s just what I was going to say. If something winds you up in life then you’ve either got to do something about it or move away from the problem.

We used to live opposite a nice green so never a parking problem but the litter was awful. For twenty-six years my wife picked the litter up but it wasn’t getting any better (take note Geoff Settle) and the stress was starting to get to her. In the end, we decided to move and our quality of life since has improved tremendously.

What I said before about getting out more was said in jest but there is a goodly amount of truth in it.

PS Nil desperateum illegitium carborundum. (don’t let the bar stewards grind you down) :lol:

I am not too wound up by this. It more frustrates me than anything else. It just seems some people have no idea about parking. That or they don't care.

If I lived down a terrace street with limited parking I would understand it but I don't. I live in a large street with a slightly larger than average semi-detached.

I know I have no right to be outside my house but it just amazes me sometimes how people park outside mine then walk past 1,2,5 houses that are empty to arrive at there house of choice. But parking across my driveway out of order as there is absolutely no need for it. (If you saw the street you would understand)

I will get over it. Just another of life’s little niggles and as Bill rightly says I have lots more to worry about.

Just wanted to see what you other forum users think and what would you do and how to approach it.

I 'm pretty sure in the near future something else will make me grumble and I will focus on that. :P

I am not too wound up by this. It more frustrates me than anything else. It just seems some people have no idea about parking. That or they don't care.

If I lived down a terrace street with limited parking I would understand it but I don't. I live in a large street with a slightly larger than average semi-detached.

I know I have no right to be outside my house but it just amazes me sometimes how people park outside mine then walk past 1,2,5 houses that are empty to arrive at there house of choice. But parking across my driveway out of order as there is absolutely no need for it. (If you saw the street you would understand)

I will get over it. Just another of life’s little niggles and as Bill rightly says I have lots more to worry about.

Just wanted to see what you other forum users think and what would you do and how to approach it.

I 'm pretty sure in the near future something else will make me grumble and I will focus on that. :P

Think Semtex !!!