Muammar Gaddafi is dead!

algy

In my opinion the death of the Libyan dictator is only the beginning of the troubles in Libya, over the last four decades this despot has managed to keep a lid on the cauldron of simmering hatred between a tribal system that has a deep and underlying hatred for each other, I really hope that I am mistaken, however I think the problems here are far more contentious than those of the likes of Iraq, let's see if the US can manage this one (albeit from a distance) without getting her fingers burned. No doubt we shall become involved costing us lives and financial responsibility that we can least afford.

I sincerely hope you are both wrong.

Up till now the new government has appeared to be sensible in its approach. I really hope that this overthrow of Gaddaffi means that Libya will become a country where all prosper and not just the few.

Good wishes to them.one.

If the MOB was anything to go by yesterday then I fear there maybe a lot more trouble to come out of Libya.

I know Gaddaffi had done wrong and had been a menace for the world over the last 42 years but I found the images yesterday very disturbing.

Watching him get torn apart by a bunch of animals is not going to the new government any favours. I had no sympathy for Gaddaffi with the Libya uprising because of his past, however, he should have been taken into custody, tried and hung from the gallows. Not torn apart by a bunch of animals.

I know passions were high and if I had lived under Gaddaffi's regime I may have been part of the mob. But I think Gaddaffi facing the humilation of a trial and ultimately the death penalty would have better served justice.

It would also have been advantageous to question him on IRA funding, the WPC shooting and the Lockerbie bomb.

Mob justice should not apply to any sides no matter what the justification.

I hear what you say Wireboy and it shouldn’t have happened but imagine what he would have been like in a court. The longer any kind of dictator remains in power, the more detached and God like they get. I doubt he’d have coughed up anything about the acts carried out in his name anyway so in a way, I think they’ve probably done us all a big favour.

As for the people being able to govern themselves after forty years of dictatorship, yep that’s going to be incredibly difficult but there is hope and a genuine will for change. Most importantly, the people seem to accept their dilemma and the fact that they may need foreign help to get them through the coming years.

Bill :)

Had Qaddafi surrendered Libya to the NTC after the taking of Tripoli and even upto the storming of Sirte, he would still be alive now to stand trial for his crimes. But he vowed never to surrender and to fight even unto death and that is exactly what happened.

Maybe the rebels should not have dragged his body through the streets but, intoxicated by their triumph at liberating Libya from the tyrant (and don't forget he was a tyrant) drag him through the streets they did. I have not seen any video of that act and I don't think I would like to see any but I will not condemn the rebels for having done so. What relief they must surely have felt to know that at last they were freed from the clutches of this murderous tyranical despot!

could be a while then Cleo......

As for Gaddafi, he got what he deserved. He certainly did not deserve the dignity of a trial nor the chance to try and defend what he had done for the past 40 years.

As for the future; no doubt we will be funding another £10billion round of airstrikes when the next Libyan leader gets out of hand.....

Now they're (the media) wringing their hands over what's going to happen to his body - the new Gov in Libya won't want a shrine - so perhaps cremation and scatter the ashes in the desert? :unsure: :unsure: One bonus in all this, the 2,000 Libyan community in Manchester may now go home! :wink:

I didn't say unskilled did I? Builders, electicians, plumbers - all skilled work. And it's not only unskilled workers unemployed in the UK and you know damn well it isn't. And I do know for a fact that many foreign workers with those skills were employed in Libya prior to the onset of the revolution, my own grandson being one of them as an electrician but there were many different nationalities working in Libya. They will be needed even more now.

I doubt many people would want to go and work in Libya for a long time regardless of whether it used to be their home land or not.

Still just as risky IMO even though Gadaffi is apparently dead. Still a lot of others who were on his side alive and kicking and who will want revenge and just as many on the other side too who will oppose them and who seem like an equally brutal force if you get in their way.

Different world and rules all together and not one that I'd like any of my family to be part of. Sorry :unsure: