Purpose of this building & where was it?.

algy

Gosh that's a hard one Algy I have no idea.

Wondered if the thing on the roof may actually be behind the building rather than on top of it as old photos can be a bit 'odd' at times.

Wild guess... was it somthing to do with the fire brigade and that was their training tower? (probably one of my more stupids moment there) :oops::lol:

Pretty sure it was on the corner of Sankey and Winmarleigh street, though I don't recognise the 'scaffolding'. Guardian office next door but one, with a kind of warehouse in between. When I remember it, it was a tax office of some kind, - motor taxation and registration for Warrington.( all those ED's)

Happy days

Was it a bank?.... although not sure what the two large 'garage' looking doors would have been for on the left.

If not that could it have been a post office (or is that classed as being the same as a car tax place which was wrong). Dizzy daft reasoning... the garage doors could have been for delivery vehicles or horses and carts. Not sure how they delivered post in those days :oops:

Wireboy was going down the right track but Dizzy 'nailed it.

Warrington's first purpose built town's Post Office built 1877 closed in 1908 when the 'New' Post Office was built in Springfield Street.

In 1881 the Post Office started to convert some of it's telegraph service exchanges for use as telephone exchanges, the arrangement of the four masts on top of the buildings would suggest that that has taken place here in Warrington!.

I amended my reply as an afterthought. In the 50 and 60's it was definitely the motor taxation office. Keys were lodged at the police station so that they could trace the owner of any offending vehicle during the night - in those happy days, most vehicles were local.

A golfing friend told me it then became a housing department.

Happy days

Well I'll be damned and that's two I've managed to get now :D

Mine was a complete guess though because Harry mentioned car tax which made me think of post offices and I couldn't think of anything else.

Happy to donate my point as Harry knew where the building was and also what else it had been used for and without his comments I wouldn't have made a wild guess...so he can have 1/2 and Wireboy/Bill mentioned telegraph/telephone pole so 1/4 each to them as I thought it was a fire brigade training tower.

Does that remind anyone of a Bafta speech :unsure::lol::lol:

No Dizzy. Saw the topic this am, knew it was on Sankey Street/Palmyra Square, opposite the Old WG because I had passed it many times, but before I could answer was called downstairs. Been a busy day today, one way and another.

No Dizzy, doesn't sound like a Bafta speech because you forgot to thank you mother and father and your husband and your son for their support and the cleaning lady and the man who cleans your windows and the person who walks your dog 3 times a day and the men who empty your bins and.......

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: