67 more sleeps

Dizzy

Only 67 more sleeps from today until xmas day (providing you only have one sleep per day of course).

So are you excited?.. are your kids or grandkids getting excited ?.. are you making plans or is your other half? ... have you started shopping yet ?... bah humbug ha ha ?

We've not even had halloween or bonfire night yet so why do we need a sleeps countdown to xmas day although 67 doesn't sound many does it.

Opps sorry.. I guess we didn't have one until now :lol:

Sleep well :D

I did actually say 'only ONE sleep per day' victor. Wake up :lol:

So just for you benefit..... 'one daytime sleep is probably ok as long as you then have no more and stay awake all night.'

Do I sense one of your spreadsheet caluclations looming :lol:

Asp... how about you take him off on your ship and deposit him somehwere, I'll be happy to pay any expense :D

Christmas, still my most favorite holiday by far. I was surprised to find that people have different scenarios, some give presents on Christmas Eve. We always had Christmas presents on Christmas mornings and Christmas Eve was the most exciting time ever. Hanging an empty pillow case on the end of the bed and waking up at 2:00am ( !!!!) and finding it filled, "Dad, dad !!!, he's been !!!." Wasn't long before Santa started to come around 7:00 am. I'm still counting the sleeps.

When did Halloween become a holiday in the UK? I had never heard of it until I came to the US in 1970.

Are the shops in Warrington decorated and stocked with Christmas goods yet? :blink:

Went to town the other day, not much sign of it there, all the garden centers have been at it for a few weeks now and the big one Bents at Glazebrook have almost all their Christmas stock in place.

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between Xmas and Christmas (apart from the spelling - Peter, obs, Lt, Bill, Dizzy, Victor and Cleo although I don't think you have your degree in sarcasm. :wink:

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between Xmas and Christmas

In the older days people couldn't write. In late December the poor would go to Church to celebrate the birth of Jesus and in return they received a bowl of rice from the wealthier Masters of the town. To show they had received their rice and to stop them going back again they had to sign... but they couldn't write... so they marked a X next to the MASter's name so it became knowsn as X-MAS :D

Years later it was changed and became knows as Christmas (for reasons we are all aware) but habit or tradition has remained in poorer and less educated circles and as such it is often still referred to as XMAS by them :wink:

I won't be counting down the number of sleeps but I will be looking forward to the break and having the family round, (mind you they all come most weekends but not all at the same time.) Christmas is the one time I can fully relax, safe in the knowledge that the factory is closed and I won't be greeted by all manner of problems when I return.

In the older days people couldn't write. In late December the poor would go to Church to celebrate the birth of Jesus and in return they received a bowl of rice from the wealthier Masters of the town. To show they had received their rice and to stop them going back again they had to sign... but they couldn't write... so they marked a X next to the MASter's name so it became knowsn as X-MAS :D

Years later it was changed and became knows as Christmas (for reasons we are all aware) but habit or tradition has remained in poorer and less educated circles and as such it is often still referred to as XMAS by them :wink:

:shock: That almost sounds plausible! :lol:

I am still a big kid when it comes to Christmas. I love the food, drink, lights and everything else to do with Christmas.

I often get laughed by my family, as I am more excited than the Children.

I always see Christmas as a great get together and a good break when otherwise we would be doing nothing in the poor weather at that time of year.

Unfortunately, my job needs people 24/7 365 and I am always nervous this time of year as we find out who is working what over Christmas. I have worked several Christmas's and New Years and it is no fun. :evil:

• 1 month later...

Ok so it's now only 35 sleeps, 2 hours, 12 minutes & 22 seconds left now (take away the time it has taken me to search that and type it of course)

SO EVEN LESS NOW.

So have you started to make plans yet, or are you still trying to opt out and leave it to someone else? Have you (ot your appointed representative) started your pressy shopping yet or are you still thinking there is ages to go and CBA :wink:

We bought out first one today and had to go to Liverpool for it... so much for shopping locally I guess :oops:

I'm organised. I'll be on board Sarnia Cherie and have my dinner cooked by a professional. No booze though, but then again no hangover either :D :grin:

Asp, is it maritime or company regs that stipulates a no alcohol policy on board UK ships (passenger excluded) and roughly where will you be on Christmas day, just so I can raise my glass and wish you "A Merry Christmas" :D .

We aren't strictly "dry ships", but the restrictions put in place by the company, at the behest of the oil majors who in reality dictate policy, are such that any amount of alcohol consumed would potentially cost your job should an incident occur. Even if you weren't involved in said incident! So in my opinion my job is worth more to me than having a can of beer so I abstain. I do make up for it when I get home though!

As for where we will be on Christmas Day, could be anywhere around the UK coast or even NW Europe, but anchored off St Peter Port Guernsey would do me!! :D :grin: :D

We aren't strictly "dry ships", but the restrictions put in place by the company, at the behest of the oil majors who in reality dictate policy, are such that any amount of alcohol consumed would potentially cost your job should an incident occur. Even if you weren't involved in said incident! So in my opinion my job is worth more to me than having a can of beer so I abstain. I do make up for it when I get home though!

As for where we will be on Christmas Day, could be anywhere around the UK coast or even NW Europe, but anchored off St Peter Port Guernsey would do me!! :D :grin: :D

Good luck and may your wish come true Asp. :D