It's all going ON in Warrington

Gary

I agree that longer trading hours could breathe new life into the centre, if they were coupled with cheaper/free parking and cheaper bus fares. As it is the town centre becomes a ghost town at 5pm (and most bus services disappear) and only comes to life again when the night revellers appear. :blink: :blink: :blink:

Maybe the council could provide incentives for restaurants/other eating establishments to move in in some of the empty units on areas like bridge street? Imagine how much better it would look if it was tidied up with outside seating, terraces etc, with the long term aim of making it like the area in the trafford centre with all of the restaurants in them. It would take some investment, but we would end up with something warrington doesnt already have which would attract people to warrington and would make money

A few years ago I heard they were going to turn the old fish market area into the main restaurant area. All of those units were to become eating units. It was a good idea as the whole square could have contained everything for everybody as it is big enough and it would have been like the Trafford centre with them all being in one place.

The location is spot on and that would bring people in as it does at the Trafford Centre.

It seemed to be making progress with Nando's, the Italian "Ask." The Barley Mow which has always been there and a coffee shop and baked potato shop but then no more moved in and now there is an unequal balance of empty units, a bank and restaurants.

I think it would be a good idea as in nice weather they could sit in the old fish market with entertainment set up in there. It would also let visitors to the town know where to go for food and the banks and other little shops in there could move to Bridge street.

I am not a personal fan of Primark but I can see the potential of that shop in town. If that doesn't bring life back into Bridge street, nothing will.

This word "free" this and "free" that, keeps appearing - nothing is "free"; if you want free parking, free bus fares, cheaper T/C rents and rates etc - the money has to come from somewhere; and what better way to get it - by taxing the out of town developments that have sucked the custom out of the T/C in the first place. :roll:

Gary

I challenge you to make me to want to come into Warrington but your going to have to come up with something so radical it’d knock my hat off at a dozen paces but the energy efficiency road show doesn’t quite do that.

Bill :)

Sorry Bill - in responding to this I accidentally deleted some of your original post! :blink:

Please tell me what would make you come into Warrington town centre.

Gary

I challenge you to make me to want to come into Warrington but your going to have to come up with something so radical it’d knock my hat off at a dozen paces but the energy efficiency road show doesn’t quite do that.Bill :)

Would a free ticket to Oktoberfest drag you in Bill? :wink:

Yer yer yer. I fell for the promises of a free pint from this bloke once before and can’t believe I did it again. Maybe free beer is the answer, that way we could all get drunk and not be bothered about anything. :P

As I was saying I don’t think there’s a simple answer to this one. Golden square almost doubled the number of retail outlets in the town so given the town didn’t double in population the sums don’t add up.

I go to the beer festival once a year. I go when I need new specs or I need some new cloths (about twice a year maybe) and that’s about it.

Weekly none town stuff would be shopping (Sainsbury’s), swimming (Woolston or Fordton), cinema (Westbrook) and pub (Stockton Heath). Change any of these though and someone else looses out.

The only out of town stuff I do is my skydiving and the once in a blue moon meal out with the wife.

Bill :)

Free parking, free parking, free parking.

Oldham council have made all of their public car parks free every Saturday from now to Xmas.

Oh, and leave the bl**dy roads alone!!!! We don't need traffic lights on roundabouts, we don't need months and months of delays on the A49 just to swap a perfectly serviceable roundabout for a crossroads, the access to the Golden Square car park should have been got right first time - or at least should be rectified at nights, there's no point having a multi-year programme of "improvements" inflicting years of delays and inconvenience on the people of the town if the town centre will have died by the time it's finished.

Free Up the Parking get rid of Parking Wardens. Good suggestions both. Make the Market car park more accessible, it's a pain in the butt trying to get into it via Bridge Foot.

Abandon Rod Kings default 20 mph speed limit aspirations for the entire town.