Warrington Town Centre Old Postcards from early 1900's

Dizzy

Some old postcards from showing Warrington Town Centre- postmarked and sent early 1900's. A bit hard to read on here so I have typed out the messages. Words in [ ] are ones I couldn't read.

Note the dates shown as that of the postal mark

BridgeStreetTran1909.jpg

Dated 30 Nov 1909

Addressed to

Miss Secker

c/o Mr Hewitt

113 Westgate

Wakefield

Yorkshire

Dear [Adela?]

Many thanks for the funny P.C.. I don’t wish to be a taxi driver if they get treated in this way that is no place for a lady. I rather enjoyed the joke. I do hope trade is getting brisk. I am sending you this so you can see where our shop used to be it is now two doors further down the street. I have marked it perhaps you will notice the sign and our window is now where they cross is on the one. Louis came to see me on Sunday and brought the bike and I am so pleased with it. I do wish you were nearer. He sends his love to both so do I [?] good time coming up. Keep smiling. Kind regards to [father? + Percy + Aunt [?] [?]to.

Lilian [?] [?]

-----------------------------------------------------------------

sankeystreetpostcard1908.jpg

Dated 5 Nov 1908

Addressed to

Miss Secker

c/o Mr Hewitt

113 Westgate

Wakefield

Yorkshire

Dear [Adela?]

I am so sorry to have been so long in replying to your pretty P.C. but I have a great deal more work to do now so not so much time on my hands as previously. I hear you like our photos and and glad you do. I will not forget our promise when I get all of them. Will you ask Lilian if it is my turn to reply to her as I cannot remember but fancy I ought to. Are you getting ready for Xmas I expect you are and hope you will be very bust in the shop. I hope [Luther?] is quite well and you and all at home . Louis has had a bad cold but now improving I am glad to say. Give my love to Lilian and Auntie sending [?] to both of your. Would like to see you again. Keep smiling

[?]

--------------------------------------------------

BridgeStreetTram1918.jpg

Dated 6 Jan 1918

Addressed to

Miss [?] Bates

Post Office

Twyning

W [?]bury

Gloucester

Dear [?]

This is where I was with Aunt Jane yesterday it is a very busy place but shud not like to live there.

Ruth

------------------------------------------------------

oldhousesChurchStreet.jpg

This isn't a postcard but might aswell stick it in this section.

This was one of the busy general stores on Bridge Street in the early 1900's - it more recently housed JJB Sports until becoming one of the many empty and closed down shops on Bridge Street.

WHodkinsonLtdBridgestreet1900s.jpg

Great postcards Dizz, and that is definitely Walking day, at a guess I would say late 1940's or early 50's.

Heres a couple of photos of your Hodgkinson Shop.

1903-4 Bridge Street still has not been widenened as the photographer would have his back to the old buildings, we know this as tram lines have not been laid further than Hodgkinson's (right of picture) and catenary wires have not yet been put in place.

1908WarringtonBridgeStreetlookingtowardBridgeFoot.jpg

About 1905 prior to the completion of demolishing the old buildings to complete the widening of Bridge street. Hodgkinson's on the left of picture.

WarringtonBridgeStreetbeforethewidening.jpg

Baz, as soon as I read your post, I said "Oh yea, Toft's bakery", but I'm blowed if I can remember any details. I have a vague hunch that they had some horse draw delivery vans around town, with fancy painted logo and name on the side - I may be dreaming.... It was definitely known, so someone on here with a better memory than me, will know.

My godmothers maiden name was Toft and apparently they had a very successful bakery on Bridge Street ..... Only ever found one mention of it on a website. Anyone have anymore info?

Baz, How's this for a bit of detective work, I found Toft's Bakers in the 1871 Worral's Warrington Directory and also the 1895 Slaters Warrington Directory, both directories give the address as 98 Bridge Street, the Feathers Inn was at 96. and Lipton's shop at 100 Bridge street, so No 98 Toft's was on the upper corner of the junction with Bridge Street and Friars gate. SEE BELOW:

1871 Worral's Directory.

1871WorralsWarringtonDirectory.jpg

1895 Slater's Directory.

1895SlatersWarringtonDirectory1.jpg

Here is Toft's Bakers shop No.98 Bridge Street on the corner with Friars gate, with the "Feathers Inn" at No.96. Although there is no name above the door, on enlargement of the photo confectionary can be seen in the window.

1887BridgeStreetbeforewidening001.jpg

On the opposite corner is Lipton's High class Grocers and Tea and Coffee merchants at No.100 (displayed above the door) across the street,

LiptonsGrocersShoponthecornerofFriarsgate.jpg

Fantastic Algy.... thanks very much. I'll add them to my ancestry tree!!

Baz, since my last reply I have found three more links to your Toft family, you may be aware of them, however just in case here are the links:-

http://web.mac.com/magss/Mags_Confi_WebPages_1/HTMLFiles/HTMLFiles_06/John_Toft_P4670.html

http://web.mac.com/magss/Mags_Confi_WebPages_1/HTMLFiles/HTMLFiles_01/Amy_Toft_P4680.html

http://web.mac.com/magss/Mags_Confi_WebPages_1/HTMLFiles/HTMLFiles_04/Florence_Ada_Toft_P4679.html

Good luck.

algy