Urgent you MUST read this

Bill

A friend of mine has just revealed a rather alarming story but knowing I post here, he asked if I wouldn’t post anything as the police and council are looking into the matter. I’ve given this some thought and feel that in the interests of public safety I need to make people aware of this.

My friend keeps a few chickens but last night one had its head ripped off not by a fox or a domestic animal but by a wild African Genet that’s clearly either an escaped pet or from a zoo. The Genet is not that much bigger than a large tabby but it’s a wild animal that will attack if approached as my friend found out.

So as a matter of utmost urgency and without wanting to spread panic, people in the Woolston and Paddington areas should be on the alert and to advise children not to approach this animal if they come across it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/30/Genetta_tigrina.jpg

Bill :)

:shock: I thought it was a joke until I clicked your link Bill. Is that the actual one that had a go at your friend and his chickens.

My mother-in-laws garden was covered in feathers every morning last week which she thought was odd and she lives in Paddington :unsure:

Would it come out in the day or just at night? Might be worth keeping the doors closed just incase.

Thanks for the warning !

Sorry.. I did try my best not to reply

That pictures from Google. I've sent Gary some of the the actual pictures. This happened less than quater of a mile from your mother in laws house so it could well be the same animal doing this. There are also loads of mink here by the brook and they'll kill anything they get near.

I've just had an update on this and it is indeed an escaped pet. None the less don't be fooled by it's cute appearance.

Thanks for your updates Bill.

Working on this for front page news but awaiting some feedback from the authorities.

I have also removed the general chat item if you are wondering as it makes it appear twice on the front page links which doesn't look right.

Anyone visiting the forum will see this thread as it flags up all new posts within the last 24 hours for people who are not registered.

There must be an awfull lot of cat in that one Baz. The one that ate my mates chicken could never be confused with a cat, it has a long face and a huge stripy tail like a lima. Like most exotic animals, they do cost a lot of money and I think this particular one cost the owner £1000 apparently.

I hope it's found soon for obvious reasons but I do hope it's somehow caught safely and returned to it's owners unharmed.

On the off chance that someone does see it but maybe can't email you for whatever reason Gary who, or where, would be a good place to ring at the time of the 'spotting'? ie police? RSPCA? or other? Thanks

The best person to contact would probably be it's owner Mr Brough on 07792878303

BTW did you know that your mother in laws next door but one neighbour has a fleet of five cats which more than likely explains the feathers in the garden.

Bugger, you did it again now I'm going to have to reply. Don't you dare tell me off :P:wink:

To the left or the right Bill as you are looking towards ? Had no idea and have never seen any of them pottering around. The dog has never noticed them either... thankfully :unsure:

Thanks for the number I will pass it on tomorrow incase anyone sees the little Genet (not that many of them seem talk to each other very often around there but worth a try eh?)

Apparently it was recaptured last night so you can rest easy now,until it escapes again that is. :blink:

I hope you are not just saying that to shut me up Evils as there is nothing on the news page cos I just looked :unsure:

If it has been caught (safely and unharmed I presume from what you say) then that is fantastic news and I'm sure the owners will make sure it can't get out again as they must have been worried and a somewhat shocked that it had killed the chaps chickens. I guess it was just doing what animals do.... instinct, survival and all that. No conselation to the chicken owner though :oops:

So come on Bill/Gary update please soon !?! I need proof as I'm still not sure if Evil's is teasing me.... just remember the 'budgie' and how long I spent trying to find its owner and worrying about it :lol:

Apparently it went back for some more chicken last night as we thought it probably would but this time there was a fox trap waiting for it. Well at least the poor little thing isn’t going to starve or freeze to death now and my mate’s chickens can sleep easier.

I’m not so sure I agree with the thinking of people that would want to keep a wild animal like this on a lead and also, I really do hope that something I saw briefly on the Guardian site before it was deleted and locked wasn’t true. Can’t repeat it for obvious reasons. :(

:lol::unsure::oops: I'm starting to feel really sorry for it out there on it's own, lost, in the cold and rain..... :( I wish my son hadn't shown me this video now they are so lovely :(

Dizzy, my good friend arrived on Saturday, from South Africa.

We went out yesterday and I told her about the Genet. From what she said, it's far from cute, apart from appearance.

As she correctly said, it's a wild animal and she described it as 'ferocious'. I would agree that they are 'cute looking'and OK when left alone. However, she was really concerned about small pets and children who may have encountered it.

I sincerely hope that the animal wasn't returned to the original owner, who failed to look after it responsibly!

There was nothing to say that the owners weren't looking after it properly though nor was there any mention as to how it escaped. Lessons now learnt maybe ?

Was your friend just referring to wild ones and are they as dangerous if they have been born in captivity and raised in a different environment though ? (ie not actually wild as such and bred as pets'). I do realise that some traits cannot be removed though.

Only asking as you can buy them 'locally' just as you can also buy spitting cobras (and other highly venomous/dangerous snakes) and also crocodiles, scorpions, monkeys, skunks, meerkats and more.

I thought my lad was joking yesterday until he showed me and NO he is not having any of them although he was as shocked as me when he saw what we could buy.

Surely there must be some sort of licencing and/or home assessment/sense checks before people can buy certain animals not only to protect the person but to protect the poor animal too.

We got to the online checkout and delivery address without any sort of advice being given as to what we were actualy buying. Maybe that came later but obviously we did not go further than that as one 'monkey' in the house is more than enough for us :lol:

Hi Dizzy,

When I referred to the animal as not being looked after responsibly, I didn't mean that its needs weren't cared for, I was more concerned that it wasn't kept securely.

I don't have a problem with people keeping this kind of pet as long as they don't end up roaming the streets, as this one did.

You may have a point about the animal being 'milder' if bred in captivity, we didn't progress the conversation that far (I was driving and we were in heavy traffic at the time). I can only say that my friend was shocked that someone would want to keep such an animal as a pet, referring to it as a 'wild animal'.

I do feel that it wouldn't take long for the animal to become feral when it ended up having to feed itself, though.

Hi Shiela

Sorry I mis-read your post a bit. I agree with what you say although I do think it seems a bit to easy to buy certain animals especially the more obscure ones.

As for little Genet, I thought it had only escaped the other day but seems it must have managed to feed itself (other than the chicken) as it had apparently been on the loose for 10 days.

And yes Cleo they do sell 'those' too but I'd rather not be reminded thanks and no I wont be putting one on my xmas list :lol: