The Dream of a Warringtonian.

algy

Has anyone read "The Dream of a Warringtonian" by Arthur Bennett, published by the "Sunrise" Publishing Company, Warrington 1900. I believe it is describes a

dream travelogue of the author's time travelling down the ages from Roman

occupation through to an incredible vision of a

transformed Warrington in 1950. His model is obviously - as

he acknowledges - H G Wells's 'Time Machine'. and also Morris's

'News from Nowhere'. It contains a mass of information about how Warrington

was constructed and reconstructed through the ages, its street names and old

buildings, and implicitly, about how Warrington looked in 1900, and also a

mass of names of local worthies and locations stretching back to the middle

ages. I am informed there are two fold out maps in the book, one of Warrington in 1465 ( see below) copied from the publication, "Warrington in M.CCCC.LXV." by William Beamont, Esq. "A Contemporary Rent Roll OF the Legh Family, In The Possession Of Thomas Legh, Esquire Of Lyme Park". The latter publication I have skimmed through, unless you are a trained Historian, is quite deep in content dealing mainly but not entirely with landowners and Tenants, however there are occasional clues as to what Warrington was like in the 15th Century, I certainly was not aware before reading this that Warrington had a Windmill situated on the East side of Warrington Heath somewhere about where Crosfield's Street is now, I digress, I have enquired at Warrington library and they have three copies of " The Dream of a Warrington" however they are not available on loan, so the search goes on.

Copy of the 1465 Map of Warrington, I'm afraid it looses clarity on magnification.

warringtonTownship1465.jpg

Sounds a fascinating book Algy and one that I would love to read.

If the library have three copies why can't one be available for loan or if they are a bit fragile or they are worried about them being lost or damaged then SURELY they could scan one and make it available electronically or in a print out ?

I guess the books are in the same storage area as the 1000's of wonderful old photo's that have been gifted to, or acquired by, the library and museum which show Warrington's past history and life that we don't get to see either.

I just found one possibly for sale in a bookshop in Altrincham but alas £125 is a bit out of my pocket's price range but maybe within yours Algy. Can I borrow it or read over your shoulder if you buy it or find another one :D:wink:

Dizz, Iv'e scoured the net and like you found the one in Altrincham but at £125 there is no way I could shell out for that, the wife would have me put down if she found out, another one on offer in the States was up for the equivalent of £250 I assume that was a first day cover. The problem appears to be that there was only ever the one issue with no reprints. A couple of UK Universities have copies in their libraries but only for student in house reading. I am really desperate to get my hands on a copy as I am reliably informed that it gives an insight just what the living conditions were like down the ages. So Dizzy the search goes on.

So pressure the library Algy ... you have already said they have 3 copies and you want to read it !!

Why can't you, have they said why ?

I presume they aren't keeping them safe so that they can sell them at a later date and as they seem not to ne stored at Chester archives or in the salt mines then it should be no rason why you can't read one. :cry:

So pressure the library Algy ... you have already said they have 3 copies and you want to read it !!

Why can't you, have they said why ?

I presume they aren't keeping them safe so that they can sell them at a later date and as they seem not to ne stored at Chester archives or in the salt mines then it should be no rason why you can't read one. :cry:

Dizz, I can read them, but only if I am prepared to sit in the reference section of the library and I am not prepared to sit there and read a book of over 200 pages in installments, they have also stated that I may photocopy pages and that I cannot understand, as they are so unique and old, the damage that would occur to the spine of the book from forcing pages back would be unrepairable, however although many of the people employed at our libraries are in general very helpful, occasionally whilst on the telephone you hit on one that is downright obstructive. I have located a copy in the US of A that is $18 approx £11 plus $14 postage (total around £21) it's condition is described as used with some edge scuffing to the covers due to shelf wear and has two signatures written in the fly leaf otherwise the reading pages are perfect and the fold out maps are undamaged, so I need to contact the seller and discuss detail, can't hang about though as they appear to be as rare as "Rocking Horse Poo" and don't think I shall better the price. I shall keep you posted.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Surely if they are willing to allow a copy to be photocopied, digital scanning would be much better. This would be a "one-off" and make the contents available for any interested party. I think Dizzy's suggestion makes so much sense!

I would also love to see the map reproductions and read some of this, having already obtained numerous ancient Warrington documents and pictures since living in the Ring O' Bells for more than three years.

Surely if they are willing to allow a copy to be photocopied, digital scanning would be much better. This would be a "one-off" and make the contents available for any interested party. I think Dizzy's suggestion makes so much sense!

I would also love to see the map reproductions and read some of this, having already obtained numerous ancient Warrington documents and pictures since living in the Ring O' Bells for more than three years.

Dave, since my original post I obtained an original copy in good condition via ebay sourced from California for £14 inc just over £4 postage, well worth the money seeing as those for sale in bookshops in the UK were silly money, well worth a read, Arthur Bennett got a lot of his predictions correct.

Copy of the Legh Manuscript Map.

003.jpg

If you want the original 3.48MB jpeg image (it should print out well as it enlarges on screen with good clarity) just PM me with a contact email address, or I could drop you a copy of when we go to shopping.

Dave, since my original post I obtained an original copy in good condition via ebay sourced from California for £14 inc just over £4 postage, well worth the money seeing as those for sale in bookshops in the UK were silly money, well worth a read, Arthur Bennett got a lot of his predictions correct.

Copy of the Legh Manuscript Map.

003.jpg

If you want the original 3.48MB jpeg image (it should print out well as it enlarges on screen with good clarity) just PM me with a contact email address, or I could drop you a copy of when we go to shopping.

Many, many thanks for that. Not at home at the moment, but I will try a printout as soon as I can. It looks fascinating. We left the Ring O' Bells last May, unfortunately, but still live in Warrington, near Padgate.