What got you watching Warrington Town?

Gary

In a bid to try and increase the crowds at Cantilever Park I would appreciate some market research from existing supporters to find out what enticed them down to Cantilever Park so we can do more work in those areas.

To those who have considered it and not gone yet what do we need to do to entice you down?

Took my son and his friend to watch a match a couple of years ago, enjoyed the game and the atmosphere so much we are now regular season ticket holders.

Attend most matches home and away, although a bit awkward on Tuesday nights for long distance away matches.

Seems a lot more personal getting up close to the football, players and management than any premiership games I`ve been to, much more enjoable.

Look forward to match days and get very dissapointed when other commitments get in the way.

Ian

When my son was about 9 years old, he said he wanted to see a proper football match rather than one you watched on the television.

“OK” I said “We will go next weekend”, with visions of Anfield or Old Trafford going through his mind he waited with bated breath for the weekend to arrive.

On the next Saturday afternoon, we left home with the excitement bright in his young eyes.

When we arrived at Cantilever Park, or The Field of Dreams as we now know it, he was somewhat disappointed, but we continued through the single turnstile to be greeted with such warmth and enthusiasm by the fans, club officials, and even the players, that we were hooked and have been ever since.

We have continued to support town, through relegation, promotion, good results, and appalling results. We have even been there on cold, wet, foggy Tuesday nights in November when the temperature has dropped to below freezing and the ground feels even emptier than it does on a warm Saturday in August.

I think my first match was about 5 years ago. Priced out of the Premier league which i wholly admit was my first love (season ticket holder for a club down the road for many years) and also the atmosphere. I remember the days of swaying on a terrace, good hearted banter, singing oh and a few skirmishes at away games. Yearned for proper football rather than sanitised commercially driven football played by footballers more interested in their weekly salary and car being driven.

Growing up of my son and the need for him to experence "proper footie" drove me to attend. A few games first few seasons, grew to most home games, grew to most homes games and the odd away game last season to now season ticket holder and most local away games (work permitting).

If we want people down there, i dont think success is necessarily the key although it no doubt helps. My first few years werent anything to write home about, but last year was good. Facilities are key, familiy friendly and a community atmosphere.

Runcorn last night was a good example. 304 turned up for a midweek cup game and with all due respect to that trophy not the most important cup.

Get the kids interested and you create a legacy for life I think.

Tommo on the cover of Worldwide. My mate pointed it out and we decided to go. First game was Clitheroe, which began my impressive home streak... of not going to a game that we scored first in.

I suggest give us more than a small paragraph 5 pages from the back of the Guardian, for a start. Occasional back-page even, when the Wolves have a rare off week and we have a even rarer good one.

My elder brother and his mates started to go down, so one game (V Irlam Town, 1991-92 season) mum made him take me along. While he was not impressed, I was. I then went back the first game of the next season, and having won both games, I quickly became hooked. I got seriously involved after the events of summer 1995, helping out in the 'green thing' before moving over to the turstyle with a hole in the roof, and stayed there for a decade.

As Adrian said, if you can get the kids hooked.

Fascinating feedback - keep it coming - for those of you mentioning getting the kids hooked we have stepped that up massively this year by printing 2,500 free season tickets for school kids aged under 12 which allows them to bring along two adults for a fiver!! Great value.

We are compiling a database of these youngsters as well so we can keep in touch with our potential new fan base.

We have also teamed up witht he Collegiate and Priestley and the bus company which allows free admission for all their youngsters.

Just need them to get hooked like you guys now! :wink:

I got hooked after agreeing to sponsor a Liverpool Snr Cup semi-final v Liverpool about 5 years ago - over 1,500 on the ground and it made me think that a town like Warrington deserves to have a successful football team.

I helped put together a board of directors who over the past four years have worked hard to getr the club on a sound financial footing.

There is still a long way to go - but we are in a much stronger position that we were four years ago and all the old historic debt has now been cleared.

We are attempting to embrace the whole community with our new community development officer and hopefully the club can start moving up the league tables over the next decade.

I applaud whats been done so far and i am in no way critical of this. However i think we can do more and i appreciate fully that it costs money to do that.

I think we shoudl look at the 12-16's. Thats when I recall becoming really aware of football and started going regularly. perhaps getting the secondary schools down to play a match before the main feature. Or a few of the players paying a visit?

Just a thought.

I applaud whats been done so far and i am in no way critical of this. However i think we can do more and i appreciate fully that it costs money to do that.

I think we shoudl look at the 12-16's. Thats when I recall becoming really aware of football and started going regularly. perhaps getting the secondary schools down to play a match before the main feature. Or a few of the players paying a visit?

Just a thought.

Hint; Avoid GSHS... I only know 7 people who would go and not take the mick

A certain teacher who is a regular got me and my brother to come down to bamber bridge (i think!) at home the season before last. This is now my second full year of being a season ticket holder. Proves the theory that if we can drum up support in the schools we can boost the fanbase. Between the teacher and myself we encourage my mates to get to games with us, i had 9 or 10 come along with me to the curzon game at the start of the season.

A certain teacher who is a regular got me and my brother to come down to bamber bridge (i think!) at home the season before last. This is now my second full year of being a season ticket holder. Proves the theory that if we can drum up support in the schools we can boost the fanbase. Between the teacher and myself we encourage my mates to get to games with us, i had 9 or 10 come along with me to the curzon game at the start of the season.

Hope you can get them all down on Tuesday night for a rare home game!

Wakefield or possibly FA Cup replay!

Hint; Avoid GSHS... I only know 7 people who would go and not take the mick

And you know absoltely everyone's opinion at GS I presume? :blink:

Anyway, tbh I went first becasue of this site. Not being of Warrington breeding, and a recent incomer, I knew little of local football, but after reading some stuff on the forum, I headed down, to find I could sit in the stands with a pie and pint in hand and watch a game of football not being controlled by an ego-centric ref who would favour the big team.

Enjoyed it immensly I have to say.

What would get more going? Just raise the profile, I imagine there are plenty in this town who know very little about the club, the large poster in the Golden Square centre is a big start, perhaps another one outside tesco might be even better? :twisted::wink:

Since I go, yeah...

Anyway, if you tried to get that sort of age group you just end up with people who already support United, City, Arsenal, Leeds, Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton and Stockport who can't be bothered with us because "They play in the pub leagues, don't they?" (Or words to that effect.)

Try to aim at the primary schools instead, I reckon.

Wire Warrior, you seem to have lots of good ideas, why not join the Supporters Club, for only a pound, for kids, here the fans get together and discuss all things Town, and if any ideas, suggestions or queries comeabout, they often go forwqard to committee level. You sound like just the type of person we need. Its only a pound, and you also get discounts on certain items in the club shop as a member too. See me or Jerry in the Club Shop at any game