Warrington Wolves receive the Albert Goldthorpe Team Award

Wirewire

According to the club website, we were awarded this trophy.

"Warrington Wolves were presented with the Albert Goldthorpe Team award this week by RFL President John Whaling at a ceremony held at the Galpharm Stadium, Huddersfield.

The Wolves have had a record-breaking season so far finishing top of Super League for the first time since its inception back in 1996, beating the best Super League points difference record set by Leeds in 2005 and recording their best defence of the Super League era conceding only 401 points, to name but a few season statistics.

Wolves' Head of Coaching and Rugby Tony Smith said: "It is a great honour for the club. The nature of the award shows not only do we have good players as individuals we also have numerous contributors to great teamwork which has led to us picking up this award."

The Albert Goldthorpe Medal award was introduced by Rugby Leaguer & League Express in the 2008 season to honour Albert Goldthorpe who was English rugby league's first superstar at the turn of the 21st century. The award commemorates the centenary of the feat of Goldthorpe in leading Hunslet to become the first club to win all four major trophies in one season in 1908.

League Express reporters cast votes after every Super League game in the regular season to determine the winner awarding points to individual players which are then collected together to determine the club winner."

Just need to cap it off by getting to Old Trafford and winning the Grand Final.....

I beg to differ Gary...Huddersfield were only allowed to play to their best on the night because of the Wire tackling and general effort put in. They are a one trick pony by their spoiling tactics around the ruck...grabbing arms,gang tackling and lying on in the tackle...When referee Ganson made it plain he was having none of it by whistling up frequently in the first few minutes they were screwed. They are second only to the Pie Eaters in these spoiling tactics...The Wigan coach is leaving these shores, perhaps he should take the Huddersfield coach with him for the greater good of the game...Thank goodness the Wire coach won't have anything to do with these negative tactics. I can remember reading in the press during the last close season that a directive was being issued to referees to clamp down on this boring negative stuff but last night was the first time I'd noticed it being applied. Better late than never Mr Ganson. Perhaps refrees will get on the Wigan case ASAP.

As a footnote I was humbled by some Huddersfield fans last night displaying a congratulatory banner for the Wire praising us for this season. It must have took took time and effort to make it and was nothing less than magnificent.I think the Wire club should show some appreciation in an official manner. How about,say, a thousand free tickets for the Huddersfield fixture at the HJ whenever we meet them next.

I beg to differ Gary...Huddersfield were only allowed to play to their best on the night because of the Wire tackling and general effort put in. They are a one trick pony by their spoiling tactics around the ruck...grabbing arms,gang tackling and lying on in the tackle...When referee Ganson made it plain he was having none of it by whistling up frequently in the first few minutes they were screwed. They are second only to the Pie Eaters in these spoiling tactics...The Wigan coach is leaving these shores, perhaps he should take the Huddersfield coach with him for the greater good of the game...Thank goodness the Wire coach won't have anything to do with these negative tactics. I can remember reading in the press during the last close season that a directive was being issued to referees to clamp down on this boring negative stuff but last night was the first time I'd noticed it being applied. Better late than never Mr Ganson. Perhaps refrees will get on the Wigan case ASAP.

As a footnote I was humbled by some Huddersfield fans last night displaying a congratulatory banner for the Wire praising us for this season. It must have took took time and effort to make it and was nothing less than magnificent.I think the Wire club should show some appreciation in an official manner. How about,say, a thousand free tickets for the Huddersfield fixture at the HJ whenever we meet them next.

I agree with you Safes - we were VERY GOOD tonight and just didn't allow Huddersfield to perform - I think the game said alot more about us than it did Huddersfield, and I'm glad Ganson sorted out the messing about at the play the ball early on to allow a more free flowing game.