COME ON YOU GUEST'S - PLEASE REGISTER.

algy

You should stick to proper forums then Bill :P

This one is pretty secure now thanks to the hard work of Gary and his techy bods (I may be eating those words later but have just touched some wood to be safe :unsure: ).

Some spammers/spam bots register on forums. I believe that many are advertising bots although some are malicious and just out to cause problems. Other spammers and bots then look for them and it gets worse. There is often nothing really to stop them registering using names that 'look' like they are genuine ie derivitives of google, bing etc etc.

A good forum, with decent admin setup, and spam filters in place (oooh and moderators of course) should easily stop them though as they are pretty noticable by their IP addresses or advertising / links / etc.

I monitor some websites I have done just out of interest and there are certainly some odd bots about these days. They aren't doing any harm on these though but they could do if say there was a forum or the websites contact email address was in text and searchable :wink: Never have your email address like that or they can spam you or spam others and pretend to be you apparently :shock:

Clever really though and I often wonder why the people who create these things don't actually put their brains and skills to a better use :wink:

I have so much more to learn and maybe one day I'll be clever enough to be a rogue bot or a spammer :lol:

Bill... you could get yourself a part time job it you point it out to them :lol:

Peter... where are you looking as I rarely look down. What is the point in looking down if you are the last or current poster. I always look forwards, upwards or occasionally sidewards :lol::wink:

Maybe Peter... but until you actually say which icons you mean I can't answer you.

If you mean the ones next to where it says 'share this topic' then they are for 'sharing the topic' in facebook, twitter etc, email, printing and downloading. Pretty self explanatory so I guess you don't mean those :P

Maybe Peter... but until you actually say which icons you mean I can't answer you.

If you mean the ones next to where it says 'share this topic' then they are for 'sharing the topic' in facebook, twitter etc, email, printing and downloading. Pretty self explanatory so I guess you don't mean those :P

I know what they are for but what are they? Apart from Twitter and FB, I haven't heard of them. Have you or anybody else?