Warrington Flood Defences

Geoffrey Settle

I attended the 2nd consultation meeting in Latchford last Wednesday evening organised by Cllr Maureen McLaughlin and held at St Hilda's Mission on behalf of the Warrington Nature Conservation Forum.

The was a general consensus that the Environmental Agency had taken on board the suggestions and concerns from local residents who had attended the first consultation held at the EA - HQ in July.

A couple more points were raised on Wednesday and these have been taken away for them to consider before they submit their planning application and bid for the money required from the Government. With partners contributions this will amount to just over £20 million.

Changes since the 1st consultation include moving the proposed new entrance a few meters to provide better access and landscaping. Fewer trees will now be cut down because they are using a different technique on part of the embankment to build the wall using sheet metal. There will however still be a massive tree loss along the roadside - but the protection of the 2,000 homes on the other side of Knutsford road is the primary goal.

It was a stark reminder to see photographs of the 1990 flood that showed how close residents came to being another Carlisle. I know from my experiences of organising the Chris Vose 10km how close another flood came to ruining the event when it flooded the athletics track that was to be my finish area.

The trees should come down anyway as they are very old and likely to fall in a high wind.

The pictures look worst than it really was. IMO, the worst hit area was along Chester Rd were the waters was nearly a foot deep.

Also, this "consultation" has been going on for a few years now but there seems to be a finishing line in the far distance.

The pictures look worst than it really was. IMO, the worst hit area was along Chester Rd were the waters was nearly a foot deep.

Gosh that brought back memories Peter. I remember having to drive along there on my way home and the water was upto the bottom of my car door. All I could think about was my engine stalling and having to abandon my car an paddle home in the murky disgusing coloured water. Thankgully I didn't have to.

I cant remember Chester Road it flooding any other time though, has it?

Gosh that brought back memories Peter. I remember having to drive along there on my way home and the water was upto the bottom of my car door. All I could think about was my engine stalling and having to abandon my car an paddle home in the murky disgusing coloured water. Thankgully I didn't have to.

I cant remember Chester Road it flooding any other time though, has it?

I don't think it has apart from 1990 but I've only lived here for 30 odd years.

I was interested pleased to see that they would be doing work at Spittle and Padgate brook in and around Cinnamon Brow - especially as I live on the other side of the road from Spittle. If the flood water of Solway Close had been another foot or so last year then we would have been next to go under :oops: .