New litter picking scheme

Geoffrey Settle

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I move to where I live now, I lived facing onto a green that was the local meeting place come football and cricket pitch for the whole of Woolston. For twenty-six years my wife went out every single day come rain or shine and collected a bin sack full of rubbish because she just couldn’t bear looking at the stuff strewn across the field.

In all that time, not one neighbour offered to help or even thanked her for what she did. The council didn’t have to pay for the daily cleanup (apart from voting day) so naff all ever got done about it because she had simply hid the problem. And that’s exactly what your doing by doing your bit, you’re making the problem look less than it is.

What really gets to me about the whole littering thing is through this twenty-six years, the press would run their annual press releases statements about new council initiatives on littering. Just ask Gary if there’s ever been a year when the council hasn’t issued one, you can almost check your calendar against them. It’s all a big game that goes round and round like bloody groundhog day so when Geoff pops up with his harebrained ideas excuse me if I’m less than impressed.

Bill :)

Bill it doesn't matter what I, your wife or Dizzy do nothing changes in your eyes or those of observer and never will so I don't understand why you are still involved in this discussion? :?:

I have given examples of the various options, explained briefly why the one used by Halton is not seen as a valid one by the police - I don't think that I have yet sort or got a definitive response from WBC officers as to whether or not they would want the powers executed by Halton Officers which broadly are along the lines that you advocate.

Are you implying that I should shut up shop posting on here and elsewhere simply because it is your hypothesis that I am purely seeking publicity (is it no wonder that NO other councillors post here using their real names except Cllr Paul K?).

You and other posters would be the first one to bang on if I or Paul did or said nothing as councillors and rightly so.

I know I am in a no win situation because being a councillor carries with an automatic sentence one way or another from the public and the opposition - but then that has probably always been the case. After a year I am starting to understand and live with the pressures and restrictions.

Therefore I will continue with my misguided ways and carry on litter picking and looking for new approaches. After all if Sir Richard Branson and Lady Thatcher didn’t crack the problem than what chance have I got.

I do get satisfaction of picking up less litter from day to day, it does look tidier and yes it is very frustrating to have to keep doing it. I belive that it is a useful exercise whilst walking my pup - and it stops her being injured or sick from what she stands on or eats.

I am though very grateful for people like your wife who fight against the litter louts by giving up their time every day, they need your support not ridicule because that is the impression you are giving.

Geoff, Bill is right in what he is saying. There is none as blind as those who don't want to see, and that includes WBC.

A saying applies here and that is, "Don't preach to the converted."

I would suggest that those who post on here are mostly of an age where they were taught not to drop litter.

IF, you have some really bad litter areas, have a word with Cllr Richards. He might be able to get you some help. Otherwise a campaign through the groups and schools in your area will raise awareness of the problem.

I know where you are coming from, but at times you do sound like a Lib-Dem.

Geoff, Bill is right in what he is saying. There is none as blind as those who don't want to see, and that includes WBC.

A saying applies here and that is, "Don't preach to the converted."

I would suggest that those who post on here are mostly of an age where they were taught not to drop litter.

IF, you have some really bad litter areas, have a word with Cllr Richards. He might be able to get you some help. Otherwise a campaign through the groups and schools in your area will raise awareness of the problem.

I know where you are coming from, but at times you do sound like a Lib-Dem.

That's going on and Poulton North is not that bad really for litter I just want to make it better. Recently I've been working with the legend who is Phil Chadwick (waste management education officer) - I joined him at Cinnamon Brow Primary school a few weeks ago during his three day workshops for the school. He is brilliant and like a Billy Connolly without the swearing - I believe that he has visited ALL Warrington schools spreading the message and talking to parents when he has the opportunity - he was telling me at BEamont High School last FRiday that he is also doing talks to any community groups that want him to speak to them about this and recycling - so that is the positive and good face of WBC.

You and Bill know me well enough over the last 10 yaers, I just speak my mind despite the threats on and off this web site :evil: - you get even more wen you become a councillor :oops: as Gary can testify :D

Hope that helps.

Hey I met that Phil Chadwick once and spoke to him a few times on the phone. What a great bloke he is and so very helpful and full of life. He got me my litter picker when the canal bank used to be a mess from time to time and I couldn't find a litter picker anywhere and he even dropped it off for me.

Prior to that I used to use a long stick with a hool taped to the end to try and spear it of flick it back towards me through the fencing. Now that took a bit of doing :lol: Much easier now with my 'picker' but to be honest it doesn't get as bad as it used to so I don't do it very often now.

Great chap, and if all council workers were as enthusiastic and as nice as him I'd never moan about them again. He gave me some little books on waste recycling and using up left over foods too :D

Anyway I digress....

Can I ask those of you who seem intent on having a go at Geoff for the fact that he and others (like me) pick up litter if we see it blowing past or lying around etc.

If there was some litter outside your home or say on the floor in a park near a bin WOULD YOU ACTUALLY PICK IT UP or would you just leave it ?? :unsure:

I've come close to that a few times but always managed to make them see the error of their ways and avoid a black eye 8) .

So Geoff you ask why do I hound you over things like this? I’ll tell you. The only way that’ll ever fix this problem is to use the law to punish the offenders. It really is that simple. Now I can’t change the law or the way it’s implemented, that’s the job for our elected representatives i.e. people like you. What I can and will do is to bring this issue into public arena in the hope that some of what I suggest may rub off on others if not you.

On a personal level, I do think far too much of what you do here is aimed at political self-promotion. There’s hardly a post from you that doesn’t namedrop or include some casual mention of committees and meetings you just happened to be attending. Who are you trying to impress with stuff like this? And btw, Paul Kennedy never ever used the forum for his own ends and as a result earned great respect.

So Geoff in a nutshell I think you’re an ok bloke and I’d even buy you a pint but I find your views so odd and out of touch with mainstream thinking, that I question how you could possible claim to be a representative of the people.

Bill :)

Nice one Bill, I only quote people, committes because councillors are always deemed to be doing sweet fa and corrupt thieving idiots. All I am doing is just just giving reference as I have been trained to do as my part of my adcademic training over the years - I don't think it does any harm but then I'm in the minority on this site.

If that offends you then so be it we are all entitled to our own view. :huh:

As for being odd too right I am and so is everybody else on here in my view it would certain be dull if we were all the same and shared the same views and opinions - we are afetr all part of a discussion room.

Mines a lime and lemonade when we meet again as I'm still keeping to my new years rsolution made 10 years ago to give up the sauce. :mrgreen:

.....All I am doing is just just giving reference as I have been trained to do as my part of my adcademic training over the years - I don't think it does any harm but then I'm in the minority on this site.

Are you saying that you are in the minority because of your academic training Geoff and that the rest of us are more than likely thick and lacking such training, skills or brains.

Ooooh how rude Geoff :shock::lol::lol::wink:

Are you saying that you are in the minority because of your academic training Geoff and that the rest of us are more than likely thick and lacking such training, skills or brains.

Rude me :mrgreen: no if I was I would be very specific - :twisted: I'm no adcademic I leave that to the teachers and professors of this world who are very good at put downs - I should know from the mass of red ink that used to go across my english essays. :unsure:

"And the wooden spoon award goes to........................." :twisted:

I'll get me tin hat ready now.:rolleyes:

"And the wooden spoon award goes to........................." :twisted:

I'll get me tin hat ready now.:rolleyes:

Was it something I said :unsure::lol:

Just as a side note I'll have you know that my mum once hit me over the head with a wooden spoon when she was baking as I was being a rude grump... she did warn me.. and yet I carried on.

Be warned and never understimate the powers of a woman and the force of a wooden spoon OUCH. The two should not be allowed to be together so maybe it should be awarded to someone else :shock:

How much do you pay for a bag of litter?

Reminds me of the early 1950's when I was a kid and me and my siblings used to go round collecting salvage which we took every week to the box works for recycling. There would always be a queue of kids with sacks of salvage which would be weighed and we would get a few coppers according to the weight of the sack. Some crafty buggers would put a brick or two in their sacks to make them weigh heavier. :lol:

A e-litter website. Surely you and Obs are joking Geoff but I can never tell with you two :shock::lol:

Typical council long winded way about doing things though, involving more costs, time, loads of talk and more resources than actually necessary.

In the time it would take (person A) to report it, and for whoever receives the emails or messages (persons B) to then pass it onto the litter picking team (persons C) who would then have to go out and pick it up.... it would either have been blown away or picked up by someone else. :P

My suggestion would be that Person A who has the time to report it should just have taken less time and picked it up themselves :wink:

Just think if everyone who is still chatting on here about this went out and spent that time picking up a bit of litter the streets would already be a far tidier place.

By the way for areas who have a problem with litter in your own area I think you can report it though the council's own website or you can contact Cllr Geoff and other similar beings via their email addresses/contact details also available on the council's website and elsewhere.

Or even via the numbers on all the newsletters that come through our doors saying 'can I help you'. D

o you do newslettering in you area Geoff or go door knocking as that may be a really good way of getting your local little helpers.

Anyway I'll pop out first thing in the morning to find crisp packets or disgarded chip wrappers or an empty bottle to compensate for the fact that I have just taken time to post on here and I will also pick up disgarded doggie bags if I see any to compenstate for my slight sarcasm. Usually I just do it without mentioning it though ahh well, time are clearly changing.

I shall of course also be wearing that tin hat that everyone mentions between now and then :blink::wink:

You can try the following

01925 443322

contact@warrington.gov.uk or call in at the

Visit Contact Warrington on Horsemarket Street

Or

Use this following form

eLitter

And yes I've picked up two bags this morning mainly pop cans, crisp packets and bottles the litter bin is full - also trying to get all the Wickes flyposting signs removed - the one on the A49 by LA bowls should have gone by now.

Ahh I didn't know their link was already called elitter or have you just renamed it Geoff :lol::wink:

Now fly tipping... that IS one of my pet hates and something I have had to deal with a few times as I couldn't resolve it myself. There are just some things that you can't or wont pick up yourself for various reasons (no dead animals I hasten to add although there is an option to report dead animals on the councils's website I see :cry: )

Like I say I have had the odd occasion to have to report fly tipping in our area. Always done through the right channels via the council and often told that once I had reported it, it would be 'passed over' and an officer would then come out ot identify if it was on council owned land and had indeed been fly tipped. Why would they not take my word that it was on both accounts? If they found 'so' they would instruct one of their other department workers to then come out AGAIN and remove it... Hopefully within a maximum period of 10 days :?

I have found from past experience though that posting photo's of the offending items on here (and also of potholes which seem to follow a similar box ticking exercise) certainly speeds up the whole process and also gets noticed by certain councillor's who are always willing to help me if necessary :wink:

This forum can be really usefull at times :D

I'd just like to add that we are in for another harsh winter very soon apparently so does anyone have problems with ungritted roads in their area that any councillor's reading may take note on and may be able to help us with sooner rather than when is too late or the grit has run out :wink:

Anyone got the real primary and secondary gritting routes for this year ... Cllr GEOFF ? :D

Thought I'd just ask that as before you know it you wont be able so see your litter for all the snow and ice :shock:

My son has an I-pod but he just listens to music on it, plays games, checks out funny youtube videos or chats on facebook. The minute I unplug my pc he is 'gone with the wind' and cut off from all other androids.

I never knew ipods could receive emails I thought only Ipads could do that... silly me :oops:

I may just send my laddo and email now and tell him to tidy his room or threaten him with a visit from "Geoff's Army of New Age Wombles". You up for that Geoff :wink:

I'd just like to add that we are in for another harsh winter very soon apparently so does anyone have problems with ungritted roads in their area that any councillor's reading may take note on and may be able to help us with sooner rather than when is too late or the grit has run out

This was questioned in a committee I was on this this week. One new method being proposed this year is to provide grit, shovels etc to Parish Councils for them to use as they see fit if they accept the challenge. I think that at least it would provide an extra resource that can be used locally. I think I'll take a small bag of grit with me when I go out on ice morning afterall it took me a couple of months to recover from a fall this year - at least I think I recovered my ribs seemed to have knitted back into shape. I amy also have to modify my litter collection duties but hopefully the stick will give me extra support in my old age.

I have also heard like you of the doom gloom reports of a tough winter :twisted: ahead but please enjoy the predicted 'Indian Summer' of next week :oops: