Binocular Info Wanted.

Wingnut

I'm looking to buy a new pair of binoculars. Possibly the Olympus 8x40 DPS I, or Olympus 8-16x40-zoom. Both are in the price bracket of £50 - £65. At the moment it looks like the 8-16x40 that I may be going for. The zoom gives me that little bit extra for what it costs.

I have had 8x40's in the past and find them "quick" and easy to focus on a small object like a bird. They are also good for general countryside viewing. Network reviews seem to be favourable.

Has anybody used a pair of these? or know of a better pair in the same price range or slightly higher?

Finally,

There is somewhere in Cheshire, not far from Warrington, one of these countryside shopping places that have a good viewing area so you can compare, and try before you buy. has anybody got the address please?

Any info/advice on Binoculars appreciated.

Have you tried the shop at the back of Warrington Market as I'm sure they sell binoculars.

Maybe if you left the amount of cash with them (as security) they would let you go to the top of the car park to try them out. Just a thought as they are very helfull there.

I have a pair of 10x - 40x 50 binoculars. OK at the low end but hard to focus on anything at the higher zoom levels unless you can rest them on something solid and on 40x you really need a tripod and even then it can be tricky getting anything in view as the slightest wobble will make you feel seasick as the view swings around wildly.

A lot depends on what you want to use them for as always.

Wingy I bought a pair of ladies Bins' for 'her who shall be obeyed' from Focal Point at Stretton they have a massive range of stock, and the shop is on the top floor of a barn complex on the edge of a field and brilliant for trying different models, they have a massive range to suit all pockets and are very helpful, a couple of years ago I bought a pair of high power zoom bins' off the internet and found that they were too heavy and too strong for my eyes with the disadvantage that when you focused them then zoomed in they went out of focus, they finished up in the sons apartment in Spain, bought myself another pair, 'Vanguard' 8x42 absolutely cracking and brilliant field of view, sharp and hold the focus. The link is below.

http://www.fpoint.co.uk/index.asp

map.jpg

I got me old binoculars out yesterday, and stood on the pavement to see how far I could read a car registaration from. At approx 300 yds it was a little blurry. So I spread me legs and leant against the hedge to steady myself up. However, every now and then when an aproaching car passed me, they beeped their horn. At first I thought it might be someone who knows me. Then I thought, maybe they are annoyed and that I shouldn't be doing it.

Then I had another thought, and sure enough when I looked down, me flys were open. 8)

Went down to the place in question this afternoon, and tried a few pairs out for comparison. I would really recomend anybody looking for bins to do this as the difference in quality between makes is astonishing.

The ones I finally decided on were cheaper in this shop than anywhere on the net that I could find.

Amazon were £40 dearer. One bargain binocular warehouse were £80 more expencive.

The sales team answered any and all questions that I asked, and gave what I thought was good unbiasssed advice with all the pros and cons.

Have you ever tried the image-stabilised ones? My son bought a pair and although I don’t know exactly how much he paid for them (think about £300) but I can tell you the results are amazing. Having used both, if I were to ever go out and buy a pair then it’d have to include this magical technology.

Bill :)

A bit out of my budget Bill, but I did try some in the larger sizes. They were excellent also.

Although I did go a tad over budget for what I wanted. I thought the difference was well worth the extra.

Pleased you got sorted Wingey, always better to go over your budget (as long as you can afford it and as long as 'you know who doesn't find out') than going under budget and never be completely satisfied with your purchase. :wink: