Mobile network.

Peter T

It really does depend on what you want. If you are looking for a cheap network with good coverage (on O2 network) you could do worse than look at GiffGaff with all it options. Non contract but you can set up DDs' so it could work like a contract if you wanted it that way.

I will be changing my provider in the new year from Vodafone, not because of network issues but try and get some positive support when you need it, night on impossible and if you have a look at consumer forums and the Vodafone eforum I am not on my own. Local shops slightly better than online for info.

I used to be on T Mobile and had no problems with them and now their network has been extended it should be even better. My wife is still with them. Now merged with Orange.

Had a brief flirtation with 3, no issues other than very poor 3G coverage good online support if you need it, not so good in local shop.

No experience with Orange but they have "merged" with T Mobile.

In the analogue days we were with O2 and had no problems and it is them I am thinking of moving to having tested their 3g coverage for a few months and I could also save some cash on my landline costs if I moved a mobile to them.

Customer support seems ok

I am on orange but with a pay as you go phone. pretty good coverage apart from some areas around the back roads heading for winsford. seems to be on the edge of the coverage bands on some off the back roads but overall pretty happy with them, not sure about the 3g thing as i only ever use my mobile for text messages and the odd phone call.

If i need the internet I use my pc/laptop or at a push my DSi. :rolleyes:

If your only looking for a phone to call and text on Peter then it doesn’t really make a lot of difference where you go or which network you use. In general Orange / Tmobile tend to be the cheapest and O2 the most expensive but there really isn’t a lot of difference between any of them. The mobile networks are growing constantly but most people just go by their experiences of the past, which often bears not comparisons with the present.

I doubt your looking for mobile internet but if you are its much the same and what you end up paying has more to do with the choice of handset rather than the air time that you use. As for getting technical advice, all the service providers use that we dismissive as just script monkeys, i.e. they don’t really know anything and just read from a prepared script.

In short Peter, you pays your money and takes your chances.

Bill :)

If your only looking for a phone to call and text on Peter then it doesn’t really make a lot of difference where you go or which network you use. In general Orange / Tmobile tend to be the cheapest and O2 the most expensive but there really isn’t a lot of difference between any of them. The mobile networks are growing constantly but most people just go by their experiences of the past, which often bears not comparisons with the present.

I doubt your looking for mobile internet but if you are its much the same and what you end up paying has more to do with the choice of handset rather than the air time that you use. As for getting technical advice, all the service providers use that we dismissive as just script monkeys, i.e. they don’t really know anything and just read from a prepared script.

In short Peter, you pays your money and takes your chances.

Thanks Bill. Sums it up well. By the time I had looked at coverage for when I am at my Mother's to getting a SIM free off Amazon, to working out who to buy a SIM card from, I am more confused than ever.

Buying anything these days needs an ology. You go into the supermarket for soap powder or tooth paste and instead of having 1 or 2 to pick from, there are hundreds!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Peter.... Are you just buying a new phone then getting a seperate sim to put in it ?

Are you after a pay as you go tarrif or contract ?

If it's pay as you go you can get FREE sims from most mobile phone network providors these days and some even come with free minutes/text too.

I'm a bit confused what you are actually after now.. sorry :oops:

Dizzy, not half as confused as I am.

I have seen a phone I fancy, and checked on the web as to prices etc.

There was one on Amazon nearly £100 cheaper. It was SIM free, so being ignorant of such technical things (in my world it means you don't need a SIM card) I put it to the Forum for advice.

2 options. Buy the whole caboodle from Carphone WH or the like or buy the one on Amazon and get a SIM for the phone.

At present I am with Virgin mobile, but they don't do this particular phone hence I wondered what people thought.

PS Pay as you go.

Ahh I get it now.... and I have no idea :lol:

To be honest though unless you only use a mobile occasionally then 'pay as you go' sims and buying your phone yourself first sometimes works out to be more expensive especially on call charges etc.

If you go onto various service providers webpages eg 3, Vodaphone etc they usually have network coverage maps which show you what coverage you can expect to get in certain areas.

What is the actual phone you fancy getting and how much do you use your current mobile a month and for what?

Let me know (by pm if you prefer) and I'll have a look online etc for you. I always like to compare things so it will give me somthing to do tomorrow :blink:

• 5 weeks later...

I didn’t follow up on this Peter but by now, I suspect you’ve got this sorted. But just FYI, all mobile phones use a simm card and the phone can often be locked to one particular mobile network. For example, if you buy a phone from Orange, you cant use anything but an Orange simm in it. It’s their way of making it hard for you to change. The term simm free doesn’t mean there’s no simm, it means you’re free to use whatever simm you like.

Phones that are locked to just one network can be unlocked by most phone shops for a small fee.