Why the'Blue Back Inn'. Heathside, Warrington ?.

algy

Some interesting facts regarding the little known 'Warrington Army'.

I obtained the information which is out of copyright, from the "Internet Archive".

sorry about the quality as I had difficulty in obtaining copies from the pdf document.

The original book may be obtained and downloaded as a pdf file from this link (the title page is of my own making and obviously not included in the original publication):

http://www.archive.org/details/proceedingspaper06hist

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Continued..............

I'm surprised, Nay! shocked :shock: that this topic regarding the very first Regiment raised in Warrington by our stalwart forebears to defend our town and ancestors against the anticipated aggression of Napoleon Bonaparte has raised hardly any interest, perhaps the title has let it down. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

They were principly raised to keep the peasants in order and maintain the status quo - following the scare that the French revolution caused the ruling elite. Such militia, wouldn't have lasted two minutes against regular troops anyway. :roll:

No obs I don't suppose they would but there again neither would our Home Guard against the might of the German army in WWII, but they would have 'had a go'! :roll:

"Having a go" isn't a particularly sound military strategy! :D

May have been of nuisance value or used as delaying tactics, remember if we had been in a situation where these men would have been 'called to arms' Britain would almost certainly have been in dire straights, Hitler's last stand in Berlin involved the arming of old men and youths as a last resort, I agree it did not work however better than lying down and instantly capitulating. :wink:

But getting back to your "blue backs"; fighting the enemy wasn't their prime purpose; it was suppressing internal insurrection - as the militia did later in Manchester at Perterloo. :shock: :shock:

First page (paged numbered 22.) of the above paper at the beginning of this topic in the second paragraph:

Quote]

But in the spring of the year 1998, it was no fancied, no even distant invasion, which roused the martial spirit of the loyal men of England, to embody themselves, as their name implies, in Volunteer Regiments, for the defence of this country against foreign aggression,and for the suppression of internal disloyalty,no worse a foe.[unquote.

In the Spring of 1798 England were having problems with Ireland so I would suggest that the government of the day weren't expecting trouble from within the English populace but with the Irish workers who were here in large numbers and prepared to create problems in a shadowed support of the French.

So obs not quite as you said, I would say there prime purpose was to defend the country against foreign aggression with a secondary role of suppressing internal disloyalty. :roll:

• 3 months later...

May have been of nuisance value or used as delaying tactics, remember if we had been in a situation where these men would have been 'called to arms' Britain would almost certainly have been in dire straights, Hitler's last stand in Berlin involved the arming of old men and youths as a last resort, I agree it did not work however better than lying down and instantly capitulating. :wink:

I remember in the early/mid 50's playing in the Anti Tank Bunkers that were placed either side of the Cantilever and Swing Bridges.

I wonder if the Panzers had reached Latchford whether a couple of bunkers would have stemmed the Third Reich in full steam ahead mode.I imagine Churchill would already have been forming his new government in Canada :huh:

Does anyone have photos of these emplacements or know where I could obtain copies?