THANKS -

observer

Are you suggesting that we "trade" with other countries soley for goods that we can't produce here? IF "all electric" cars were all that was available, I'd guess I'd have to. But we do/will have somethings that others won't have - which can be traded for those we don't have - that's real trade. :roll: :roll:

Thought you were in the Al Gore club Kije; who are telling us to cut down on "oil" consumption to save the planet? My arguement, is to cut down on "dependency" in an increasingly volatile world, where supplies can be interfered with and prices escalated for a host of reasons. It's about looking after OUR "national interests", but I shouldn't expect you to think that far ahead. :wink:

Since when did "a generation" have a say on these matters? I don't recall having a vote on any of Bliar's wars for starters - which have cost us £billions, plus the dead and maimed. Don't recall having a vote on any of the EU Treaties that sucked us ever further into the EU Super-State, and undermined our integrity as a sovereign nation. Don't recall having a vote on selling off our gold reserves on the cheap, sucking up to the City to bet our future at the stock exchange, and finally see it all collapse and require baling out. And I don't recall any of the main Parties offering anything radically different throughout either. :roll:

I bet you were not complaining 35 years ago when you were driving around in your gas guzzler, You cannot blame my generation for wanting all that yours had, and your generations lack of foresight. Are you one of those people who do as I say not as I do people, There has been no investment in power stations for over 40 years any government could have seen if they had wanted what was going to happen., We are dependant on the Russians not turning the gas on and off, It was your generation that benefitted from North Sea gas and failed to plan for afterwards. It was people of your generation that used the money to keep taxes down, something you benefitted from instead of using it to reinvest in other power sources and continuation of supply.

You benefitted though lower taxes Obs, gas and oil revenue were both used to keep taxes down, when they should have been used for reinvestment, It put more money in your pocket :!: :!: to do with what you liked, Save or Spend. My generation are the ones who have to pay for it, I am paying for schools that your generation failed to build I am paying for your old age pension, something your generation could see coming and failed to act on :wink: :!:

I don't get this "generation" thing, as if ordinary folk have anything to do with these matters - politicians made all these calls, not Joe Public; and you talk as if they've (politicians) suddenly got smart; when they're probably getting dumber. I will agree though, you've certainly inherited a s**t sandwich and your just going to have to take a bite! :D

Fair point Peter, It would have been correct to say politicians, It would be correct to say my generation and the ones that follow will pay dearly for what has past. Another thing that the recently retired generation had is the full benefit of the house prices boom. If you were lucky enough to own a house in the early 80's and play the field you could have made a lot of money, its not the same now. :wink:

You lot had all the advantages, and non of the pain :wink: