Old people

Stallard12

I hope that y'all will forgive me (I'm sure that Harry will), but an old thought just passed through my mind. I wonder how many of us are left, especially on the forum. I mean the ones who lived through 'the war', listened to Dick Barton- Special Agent on the radio. Sat on cold linoleum and listened to Lord Haw Haw and the allied prisoner reports right after the six o'clock news. Survived rationing and remember the confusion of de-rationing candy, loved Doris Day. My bet is that we are getting pretty thin on the ground.

Flippin' heck Stallard12 thats a bit deep for this time of the night. It's just gone 11 PM here and some poor 'old' souls may just be about to go to bed and may feel like they are past it and on the way out now :lol:

Anyway you more mature people certainly aren't getting that thin on the ground as far as the forum is concerned as there seems to be more of your age on here than mine :wink:.

Actually talking about oldies.... where has Victor disappeared too these days :unsure:

I was born towards the end of the war so was still a toddler when it ended but I do remember Dick Barton, Special Agent, on the radio. Me and my siblings had to be quiet while my dad listened to it.

Too young to remember the Lord Haw Haw broadcasts but have memories of people talking about him.

Rationing, I still remember having to take the ration book everytime I was sent to get something from the shop and the end of ration books I remember and how good it was to be able to go to the corner sweet shop and buy 2ounces of sweets or a lollypop anytime without the old ration book.

Doris Day! a legend in her own lifetime. What a pity there are few if any actresses/singers like her today.

Que Sera Sera and all that!

Young pups. Valentine Dyall - the man in black; Tommy Handley; Monday night at 8 is n the air; In town tonight ("once again we stop the orar of London traffic") Paul Temple. Workers Play-time. And yes, laughing at Lord Haw Haw. How long have you got?

Loved Doris Day and that sweet homely manner. How sad to see her being vilified - I just don't want to know.

Happy days

Thank God I never read this last night or my imagination would have run riot. I would never have gone to sleep!. Dick Barton and Snowy & Jock, ITMA, and all the other radio program's they were the days when you had to use your imagination, I think I may have posed this question before - do any of you 'wrinklies' out there remember a kiddies radio program aired early evening called 'The Glub Dub of Slub' I seem to remember it being about creatures that lived under ground, or am I finally loosing it, Iv'e searched the net and asked others of my era and can't find any information about it, HELP! maybe I am finally loosing it. :blink:

Getting back on topic - the original comics such as Beano and Dandy, Roy of the Rovers, Dan Dare in the Eagle. Going to the ABC (Ritz, Mr Smiths or whatever else it has been over the years) on a Saturday morning to watch The Three Stooge, Abbott & Costello, Old Mother Riley and Laurel & Hardy, flying into space with Flash Gordan and riding the range with Tom Mix and Roy Rogers, they were brilliant times that the kids of today with all their electronic wizardry (say's he typing away on his laptop keyboard) can never experience.

They were wonderful times and give me as an old codger some delightful memories, can you wonder why I am reluctant to let go of our history!. :wink:

I am a relative youngster as far as those things go, being born in 1957. I do remember listening to the clitheroe kid on radio and queing to get into the abc or odeon depending on what they were showing on the saturday morning( and how long the queue was. If there was a long queue at the odeon it was a swift walk down bridge street to see how big the queue was at the abc)

Whilst sorting through my late father in laws paperwork I did come across this which belonged to his brother who was a steward at the time.

laconiamenu1924b.jpg

Probably off it's second round the world cruise.

Harry, did you miss the report from Sidi Barani last night? "Can I do you now sir?" How about Albert Modley and Norman Evans in Blackpool and Much-Binding-In-The-Marsh. Desparate Dan and Korky the Cat. Wow, I bet we're driving the youngsters crazy - better stop.

To highlight the popularity of the movies then: Did you ever go with a date and had to take two separate single seats, 'cos that's all that was left?

My memory poem posted a couple of days ago might throw some light on the subject. Yes, wonderful? memories.

Albert Modley constantly repeated the number "92" and everyone roared with laughter. Try that kind of thing these days. He did tell a funny joke though, re the motor cyclist wearing his protective clothing backwards to keep the wind out. He had an accident and a bystander asked another "is he alright?". "He was till I turned his neck round the right way.". Albert was a funny looking man and that helped him. Frank Randle was another. Remember "this is Funf speaking" and "don't forget the diver" - ITMA

Now is a good time for me to shut up. In the words of the song "you don't have to tell me, I know"

Happy days

Knowing Victor he probably is there and also organising it, playing at it, watching it, comparing prices aswell as logging all the occurances of girlies in shorts and wellies and blokes wearing bling on an excel spreadsheet.

Infact he's probably got his very own amnesty bin set up for blokes who wear jewellery (did I spell that right?). If they don't remove it he'll zap them in the buttock with his pellet gun and then make them listen to Slim Whitman at full volume.

I'm so glad he's not my grandad !

Thanks Victor. That gave me a real belly laugh.

Yes, as Harry says. Happy Days. I can't recall any more.

We then moved on via Alma Cogan to Radio Caroline and Keynsham Bristol.

One I do remember from the 50's was listening to the boxing on the radio, in the days of the Light Program before the Beeb refused to go trendy and Caroline et al started up.

That's why we listened to Radio Luxembourg on 208m. Even Top of the Pops was on steam radio in the late 50's on a Sunday at 2pm?.

Thanks Victor. That gave me a real belly laugh.

Yes, as Harry says. Happy Days. I can't recall any more.

We then moved on via Alma Cogan to Radio Caroline and Keynsham Bristol.

One I do remember from the 50's was listening to the boxing on the radio, in the days of the Light Program before the Beeb refused to go trendy and Caroline et al started up.

That's why we listened to Radio Luxembourg on 208m. Even Top of the Pops was on steam radio in the late 50's on a Sunday at 2pm?.

Everyone in the country could spell K E Y N S H A M but could they spell Bristol?