Causes & Solutions?

observer

Baz - I think we'd agree that sentencing guidelines in the UK aren't sensible, though we may disagree on the whys and wherefores around that. Yesterday this lad was an internet pillock, now he's an internet hero, despite nobody (including himself) turning up to his, er, "riot". Now he's got a sentence that'll never be spent, all for messing about on Facebook.

He's a pillock, not a malicious criminal.

I liked this:

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/matthew-norman/matthew-norman-even-a-benign-dictator-would-struggle-to-tackle-this-sickness-2338608.html

How do we get these kids to aspire?

When, from an early age, a person's worth is based on the type of trainers s/he wears to school and the image of "success" is based on the lifestyles of pop-singers and footballers - little wonder that the extent of aspiration is limited to an X-factor opportunity to hit the big time, and the more mundane, though essential, trades/professions that make society and the economy tick, offer little attraction. Even those who do attain usefull qualifications, such as a Degree in Physics, can be lured away by the financial incentives of Canary Wharf. Perhaps we're not taxing some folk enough and paying others too little? :mellow:

The four year sentence is a nonsensical vindictive sentence.

The judge should have used some sense and made the culprit spend the next six months helping the victims clear up the mess left by the rioters. he should then be brought back to present his findings about the reasons for and consequences of the rioting. Not stuck in jail.

I agree wahl :wink:

You would because you are a toga wearing liberal forgiving type..... maybe if you had been on the end of a riot or had your home burned down by the mindless thugs, you would think differently.....

Mind you, them Ivory Towers take some burning eh Kije!?

Yea, but the question is, WHY can't they see it?

They don't see it Peter because they are all trapped in their little rose tinted bubbles where the likes of Al Magrahi are victims and people like him are to be pitied.....

they will trawl out the nonsense about him being innocent (because they want to believe he is because it then fits their ideals)....unfortunately he was convicted in a Scottish court and has never been exonerated and so he IS a mass murderer..... in spite of what the toga wearers would have you believe....

He is a definate one that should have dangled from the end of a rope..... no question.... or better still he should have been extradited to the USA; they would have dealt with him properly.... and put it this way, he certainly wouldn't be swanning around in a fancy villa in Tripoli!

Mind you, if the rebels have got any thanks to give to Britain for our help in getting rid of Gadaffi; they will slit Magrahis throat and throw him in the garbage where he belongs

Think Tory Bliar has a nerve commenting on the riots - isn't he the bloke who presided over the decade where the wealth gap increased to it's greatest extent since the 19th C; when Gov were sucking up to the City, while industrial decline continued; when kids were given more rights and problems were always someone else's responsibility; where benefit dependency was bolstered by open door immigration to produce a client state of electors for "new" Labour - etc etc. :angry:

• Upvote 1

I've no idea if I'm in the right topic as things tend to spead across a few at the moment...

But regarding the now 'tougher approach' how come the facebook lad got charged and sentenced with 4 years straight away, but in the same week a Warrington man who battered his mate to death only got 7 years and now I read that the three who were arrested regarding the death of a Warrinton man in Orford on Saturday have already been bailed and will appear before police again in December ?

Doesn't seem right somehow and seems there are still different rules and a need to show 'tougher approaches' in some respects (where it suits) but not necessarily where it should be.

Af for Blair... well he turned out to be just another self centered idiot with his own agenda :roll:

As I understand it, the legislature (politicians) set minimum tariffs (which are arguably too lenient in most cases); the Courts then sentence based on the circumstances of each case. However, there does appear to be a wide disparity between some murders and others, from 6 to 30 years. :shock: