Spitfire in Golden Square

algy

I have been informed that there will be a Spitfire on display in Golden square tomorrow, Weds 3rd July,anyone know if this true, if so it should be interesting watching them assemble it. :unsure:

images.jpg

This another Steve Pickering (Mkt Mngr) extravaganza and I think it's linked to a play theme. I'll try and find out more but it should be a special day - I thought it was on a Saturday or a weekend.

Not sure if there will be a spitfire on display but there is mention in the g******n that there will be a spitfire display amongst other things.

Would have interested the father in law as he was an electrician in the RAF during the war and worked on all types off aircraft and such during his service.

This another Steve Pickering (Mkt Mngr) extravaganza and I think it's linked to a play theme. I'll try and find out more but it should be a special day - I thought it was on a Saturday or a weekend.

Ok a Google search revealed the following

The replica aircraft will be exhibited in the town centre today Wednesday, August 3, 70 years after Warrington residents funded the purchase of two Spitfire warplanes in 1941 to aid the RAF war effort

Go and enjoy hopefully it will be very well worth the trip :mrgreen:

Geoff.... on the 20th July you posted on an item on the news pages....http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/articles/11071/1/Iconic-warplane-to-visit-town/Page1.html

Did you forget already???

I'll be there with my boy.

It's also on the forum calendar Algy :wink:

Go on the calendar or clcik the 'upcoming events' link at the bottom of the main forum page (National Playday and Fancy Dress Mile.... ) There's other stuff on too such as a Medieval Market re-enactment in Horsemarket Street too (cooprdinated by Mark Olly local historian and TV archeaologist bloke)

Infact I might change the title of the calendar event on here as I don't think the event name they have given it makes it very enticing :wink:

I had an email off Steve Pickering this morning about the Spitfire.... apparently it turns up at about 7am in the morning in Times Square at the side of the market and then takes about 2 hours to bolt the wings on etc. Fancy dress etc. happening at around lunchtime apparently

I will be there with my lad and camera!

Can you go at 7am and take pics of them putting it together please :D ... I won't be allowed out that early.

What time is it there until before they start dismantling it again ?

I took some at 7:30am - the Spifire was waiting patiently whilst the road crew grappled with the bollards next to Time Square - when I passed by an hour or so later job done and the Spitfire was infront of the Market Clock and shadowed by a massive helter skelter which was being stalked by a Darlek which looked like it wanted to have a go on the climbing wall - all looks great and loads of market stalls with things for kids.

Have a great National Play Day.

I presume you mean this Darlek Geoff..... it scared the life out of me as it came round the corner, turned to look at me then directed it's flashing blue 'gun' at my face. :oops:

IMG_3218.jpg

and here's the helter skelter ... it was huge

IMG_3223.jpg

Sorry...I was uploading randomly and appear to have some which are quite similar. I'll sort later :oops:

It's the first time in ages that I've actually enjoyed going to Warrington town centre.

Well done to ALL the people involved today... it was Great :D .... more pics later :D

Excellent photos Dizzy.... A real eye opener to see the Spitfire there....

I took a load of pics with my proper camera but I also did some with the Iphone which then were stitched as a panorama because the thing was too big to get into one shot!

IMG_3025.jpg

IMG_3012.jpg

IMG_3006.jpg

pip pip..... chocs away!!

That must have been a bit tricky and I wonder how many times they got it wrong <_<

Baz you confused me there as I've just spent ages looking at the numbers and they are the same on both sides on my pics... then I realise what you meant F'O'FY on one side and FF'O'Y on the other...intentional or just a mistake? Well spotted.

I recon it's intentional as there is only enough space for two letters next to the cockpit and the big 'target' wouldn't :wink: fit

Great pics and I never thought of doing a panorama shot, damn ! Don't know about you but I found all the people there a complete pain and I never did manage to get the front on full shot that I wanted :lol::lol: