What's That Smell?

Sheila_P

• 3 weeks later...

I remember the bone works with it's chimneys and the smell when the wind blew towards Orford. As a kid, the worst smell of all used to be on the road running past Gaskells slaughter house at Woolston, thank goodness these places are gone.

On the subject of smells, last year we were in the garden when someone in the area must have lit a coal fire. We couldn't see any smoke and it wasn't that strong but none the less, my daughter thought it was disgusting and expressed concern about her kids having to breath the stuff. Course she could never comprehend just how it was back in the fifties when every house was burning coal but we just got used to it.

Bill :)

Probably the fact that you said "thank goodness these places are gone" Bill :lol::wink:

I'm with you on this one though and I'm trying no to think about it :( but I wouldn't like to be able to smell what you describe and although Peter is right that 'it' still happens I would imagine that the smell would not be as free to roam these days as it was back in your days... (errrm did I just infer that you were old there.. sorry :P )

I must admit though I love the smell of a coal fire burning and when the nights get chilly it's really nice to take the dog out for an evening walk because of the aromas in the air. OK so most are probably log burners but it's still nice, next doors is a open fire though... lovely :D

My poor ancestors as on one side of the family they all seemed to have been tanners round here :shock: I wonder if it affected their sense of smell having to work in it every day. If not I guess they must have just become used to it.

Did they just scrape and treat the raw hides or was there more too it than that ?

How does saying such places stink make me a nimby?

Probably the fact that you said "thank goodness these places are gone" Bill

But these places were in Woolston and as I said, I lived in Orford so at best that would make me a “NISEBY” (Not in someone else’s back yard). :rolleyes:

The only good thing about the Woolston bone works was that the two chimneys were so high they were visible over most of the town and as long as you could see the smoke going some other direction then everything was fine.

Bill :)