St Thomas's 1919 to 1921

algy

Great old pics Algy and it always makes me smile when I see old school photo's like these. Stern little faces...or are they scared as the teacher's always look very scarey indeed. Maybe we need to bring back teachers like that these days.

Another thing I notice is that the kids are always 'smartly' dressed but in a very grubby looking way, bless them.

I have no idea which schools my relatives went to, I wonder if there is any way of finding out ?

I've got some old ones of Stockton Heath Primary probably from a similar time. I'll upload those too if I remember as someone's family member might be on those too. I might put them on a new topic though to stop confusion.

It's nice looking back on past memories and local times eh :D

Dizz, believe me the lady teacher in the first photo was a little horror her name was Miss Charles, she taught my father in law (middle, front row) and taught me in 1951, as small as she was you did exactly what she told you to do, or you received a good smack at the side of your head.

• 1 month later...

Dizz, believe me the lady teacher in the first photo was a little horror her name was Miss Charles, she taught my father in law (middle, front row) and taught me in 1951, as small as she was you did exactly what she told you to do, or you received a good smack at the side of your head.

Algy. If that was Miss Charles she was still there when I started at Tomcats in 1960. She retired when I had been there for about 3 years.

Algy. If that was Miss Charles she was still there when I started at Tomcats in 1960. She retired when I had been there for about 3 years.

'Tomcats' , now that brings it all flooding back.

TSW yes that was Miss Charles, she had silver hair when she taught me and she really was a little horror, the headmaster was 'Teddy' Reddish now he was a smashing bloke, another teacher there was Joe Brookhouse.

I left there in 1952 to go in the first intake to Broomfields.

Back in the days when I was a pupil at secondary school, we had some teachers who were right so and so's, the worse one being Mrs Wilkes, or Ma Wilkes as she was called behind her back. Never once saw her smile or hear her speak a gentle word. Her favourite,and most often used, expletive was WOE BETIDE YOU! Often she would scream at a pupil "That handwriting is terrible and it's an insult to me if you expect me to read it"! But hey, I am so glad I never had a teacher like the one in that first picture. She looks positively evil! :blink: