Amy Winehouse dead......

Bazj

It's because she has died Obs... why do you think :roll:

It is because people have more money than sense and it is time the exhibitionism that is public grieving is declared illegal. Substitute anything else for the "tributes" and it is called fly tipping.

Dizzy, it seems rather at odds with the recent norm, where donations are requested, rather than flowers.

It seems to be a modern thing. Probably promoted by florists similiar to Mother's Day and Father's Day.

PS. If you do that, you obviously have too much money. :?

One associates the primitive practise of shrine creation with the Cavemen, but alas it was adopted by early christians as a money making racket, hence the nonesense of " the thigh bone of saint", or "a fragment of the true cross" to lure the superstitious peasants into parting with their last Groat. This triumph of ignorance over education still persists, despite the great leaps and bounds in the rational evidence based development of scientific learning and consequent technological advances - thus, in effect, leaving "primitives" in charge of a nuclear capability - scary. So it's basically a continuum - with the added bonus of parading one's so called grief for folk they never even knew, through a modern media to an even wider audience. Stoicism and a sense of dignity have clearly been lossed. :roll:

Sha

I think you might have got hold of the wrong end of the stick there. My comments re silly avatars and names weren’t aimed at you or anyone else in particular but related wholly to your the use of the term “sniping.” In my book, a sniper is someone who conceals themselves, takes a pop shot then disappears.

The problem with forums like this is that relative newcomers with no knowledge of the board’s history or of personal friendships developed here assume the worst. I’d never dream of telling someone I don’t know or have never met that they’re bonkers, but for someone I’ve known for years, well that’s a completely different story. I believe in what I say and use my real name and identity as a way of showing this.

It’s also it’s interesting to note that all the criticism, flack and name calling that I get on this board comes in the main from those individuals who don’t know me personally or those who deliberately stay away from the many posters meetings that we’ve had.

Now clear your bloomin mind of images of snipers (and toads) and start seeing things in a better light because I’m sure if you were to meet me I’d hope you’d find a pretty ordinary person with no anger or extreme views. In fact seeing as you suggested it, why don’t you organise the next meet up? :D

Bill :)

I believe the laying of flowers at a site of tragedy is an american import. Certainly I remember that it was common in america before we brits began to do likewise. Personally, I see no sense in it and believe that many do it in the hope of being recorded by the news media and seen on tv laying their flowers (their 5 minutes of fame).

Ok, so if people MUST indulge in this practice then maybe they should first remove the wrappings so that the flowers are visible. As it is, when a large quantity (or any amount for that matter)of tributes have been left at a site it just looks like one godawful mess, which somebodey will be charged with cleaning up.

Nobody profitting here but the florists who will be shedding tears of sympathy all the way to the bank.

• 2 months later...

Well suprise suprise....... despite all the denials by the family and friends of Miss Wine-o, she was 5 times over the drink drive limit when she died....

Another pile of money wasted on inquests and lawyers and doctors and witnesses all to tell us what we all knew back in July; she died because she was a bag-head, alcoholic junkie.....

Nice to know people have so much compassion for a young person no longer with us :( .

I have no timne for people who abuse themselves and then bleat to others that they are "mis-understood" or whatever.

Winehouse had a talent but she wasted it by taking drink and drugs....

I know of many many people who have died before their time from terminal illness, accidents and murder who would have loved to have the life and opportunities she had...... why on earth would I want to show compassion to a waster like winehouse?

• 4 weeks later...