More money for schools?

Have heard several broadcasting people today say that the government should put more money into schools to help overcome the poor literacy standards.

Would have thought there was a better argument for less money. Basics first, computers later.

Happy days

The past is a foreign country - they do things differently there.

I agree Harry, money won't solve that particular problem. It was interesting to read several comments made after the TV programme shown this week about children's behaviour in a Primary school. Rather than making comments about the children, the comments were focused on the children being sat around small tables and the teacher not doing any teaching, only attending to individual pupils which allowed others to do what they wished, which appeared to be anything but learning! I'm sure this isn't the case everywhere but a return to whole class teaching might help!

I agree with you too Harry.. another load of nonsense and surely ploughing more money into schools will not solve the problem of poor literacy standards.

Maybe the teaching (or ways of teaching) are at fault rather than the funds associated with schooling.

The way I see it is that a class has a teacher and if the teacher can't teach the whole class what they need to know (ie standard literacy/maths for example) which they are employed to do then they shouldn't be teaching. At lot has to do with parental 'teaching' too though.

It amazes me that some children can leave school at the age of 16 without a reasonable level of education ... what have they been learning for 12 years ???

Saying that kids these days seem to spend so much time texting and using facebook 'speak' then no wonder they are illiterate :blink:

... says me who can't even spell these days... it's clearly a glitch in the new forum

<I now await Gary's wrath>

Just to play devils advocate :wink:

In the 30s,40s,50s and 60s there was normally only one parent working, so their was more time with the children, Now both parents have to work long hours to keep a roof over the heads of the children, and so less time with the children. It could be bad teaching or it could be bra burning in the 60s :wink:

"Both" parents don't "have" to work; they "want" to work, both for extras and cos being a housewife isn't PC. Apart from some of the drips who couldn't control a class even if they had the legal ability to exercise dicipline. We've got kids without any homegrown culture or desire for learning, who's only contribution to a class would be to disrupt it, knowing that the ultimate sanction would be expulsion, which is probably what they want anyway. With no ambition or hope, it's not surprising that they succumb to parent and peer group pressures. The key is, to break this cycle of ignorance - question is how and would a solution be acceptable? So more money for schools isn't necessarilly the answer. :unsure:

House prices have always been outside the range of such folk, whether they both work or not, and in cases of benefit dependency, the lack of hope and ambition, and self esteem will tend to undermine both a work and learning ethic. Just imagine if, such kids were sent to boarding schools - would they turn out different? :mellow:

Obs..... much as it pains me, I have to agree with Kije on this one. In a lot of cases, both parents do have to work just to run their household. Apart from the mortgage, just the cost of gas, electric, mobile phone, car insurance, fuel, food and if you can afford one; a holiday is getting out of the reach of single income families.

I run my car mainly for business and have put over 20,000 miles on it since August last year...... that is partly a business cost, but with a drop in work load and an increase in just about everything else, I have funded that out of my money.....

if you want to stay as a wife at home type of family, you will not be able to afford even the basics let alone any kind of luxuries.... and as for the "average wage" nonsense, how many people do you know driving a bus or working at Tescos who are on £26,000 a year? The true average working class type wage will be below £20,000