News of the World Closes Down

Bazj

Thanks Obs.. I have corrected my typo :unsure:

Yes I feel do sorry for some of the staff in a way but that is massively outweighed by the hacking scandal. Celebs I couldn't give two hoots about but the other cases that have now come to light make me sick.

'Some' people clearly knew it was going on and they weren't botherd in the slightest :evil:

So all in all... the NoTW bods are 'all' tarnished with pretty much the same dirty brush in my opinion by way of association.

Problem is, that some celebs and politicians court the press, and arguably, those who live by the pen die by the pen. However, increased competition in the media (and perhaps in politics), might produce a healthier balance of views in the public domain, that may stimulate and better inform public debate and a renewed interest in politics generally. :shock:

As a journalist, I have been very interested in this saga but I wonder if the media have got it wrong about the public interest in it. I note no-one has contributed to this thread for several days and this strengthens my view that the reason it is dominating the news at the moment is that the news is provided by journalists who, like me, are very interested in it themselves and don't realise that the rest of the population has lost interest.

I have never bought a copy of the News of the World in my life but I am aware that it was, in the distant past, an honourable newspaper. In fact, my first editor told me that the two best newspapers of the day were The Guardian (then the Manchester Guardian) and the News of the World. When I asked him why, he said because they were the most accurate. The Guardian because it wanted to be and the News of the World because it had to be!

I tend to agree with Matthew Paris, the Times columnist, who on Question Time last week said it was a tragedy the News of the World was closing down because it was the biggest selling paper in the country and was read almost 100 per cent by working class people who, presumably, like what it provides.

By all means change its ownership, change its content - but close it? I don't think this Aussie with American citizenship should be allowed to!

As to phone hacking, it is obviously deplorable if the phones of the families of murder victims and soldiers killed in action have been hacked. I can't see the purpose of it, quite frankly, because I can't see it adding anything significant to a news story.

As to hacking the phones of politicians, corporate organisations, the criminal fraternity, I am not sure. There is an argument for saying that the press (and I include the other media in this as well) would be failing in its public duty if it did not use the latest technology to expose wrong-doing. The press is, traditionally the adversary of authority. Although you wouldn't think so from the antics of the News of the World and other red tops, that is one of their main functions.

The very fact that more people bought the News of the World and still buy The Sun than any other paper suggests that most people want that type of paper.

In other words we get the press we deserve.

• Upvote 1

It seems to me, from reading this topic, that the press are not doing a very good job on reporting this issue. Either that, or it is over the heads of a good number of the people on this forum. Some people clearly don't know what they are talking about!

What's the going rate a spark gets paid then?

JIB rates for an approved electrician is about £14.50 an hour plus £32.00 a night lodging allownce for working away.

That's why so many contracting electricians own camper vans!!