Help my speakers wont work

Dizzy

I finally just got round to connecting my new monitor which has inbuilt speakers.

Loaded the drivers etc.......

Then decided the inbuilt speakers sounded really naff so plugged my old speakers back in and then wont work now.

Suggesions please as I seem to have a mental block now (not to mention this monitor is blinding me.. a bit too big and bright for my old eyes.. sun glasses definately needed :blink: ) :oops::lol:

I'm guessing that because you have loaded drivers for the new speakers, any previous settings will have been over-ridden.

Uninstall the new speakers and re-install the old ones......

What operating system are you using though, because speakers normally just work without drivers....

Hiya Baz...

They are not new speakers as such Baz as I've used them for years... it's a new monitor.

Windows XP and in the past I've just plugged 'whatever' desk top speakers I've had in and they have worked and have never phsycally installed any speaker drivers.

I knew I shoudn't have bought a new monitor and installed it's drivers, I should just have plugged it in and left it at that :(

My other half's not happy with me cos he can't hear his music now(blessing in disguise actually :wink: )

Cheeky... :P

If you really want me to bore you with all the steps I tried such as looking for conflicts, drivers, sound card dignostics and every thing else I could think of trying I will detail it all step by step just for you.

All I know is that nothing worked and it was at the last point where I banged my head for the 5th time on the corner of the pc workstation (shich is in an alcove and noy movable) whilst trying to get to the damn cables to see if it was those (with a torch in my mouth I hasten to add) ... my head hurt and I got a right strop on, swore rather loudly (you may have heard me) said a few other choice words about stupid technology and how things used to be straightforward....and slammed my pc base down in pain and anger.... and hey presto the sound came on :D

I've never got like that with my pc problems before as it never phases me... until today that is.

Must admit I'm not to keen on this nre HP monitor though as its fat too bright even with the settings turned down and websites all appear down the middle as it's 22 inch and seems to be widescreen.

Even worse when I enlarge youtube videos etc they go all 'iffy' with odd bars across the screen here and there and they keep freezing :( .

I guess you are right Peter :lol::wink:

Problem is I can't use it for more than 10 minutes at a time cos then I start to see spots and my eyes water. Weird and what a waste of money, I might plug my old ancient naff one back in as this ones ruining my pc 'enjoyment' time.

I did try wearing my sunglasses by the way but I looked a bit 'odd' 8)

Just out of interest has anyone else got a 22inch HP W2297h monitor or similar ... if so how do you find yours ? Maybe there is something wrong with this one.

I Have a Hanns-G 24" monitor and it is widescreen. I run Windows 7 and all is well.

Just make sure your display is set to the optimum output of the graphics card. Don't set the resolution too high as this will cause issues with the graphics card trying to deliver resolution it isn't designed to run too well.

that way your picture will fill the screen and you shouldn't have any video issues, unless your current settings are too taxing on your graphics card

Thanks for that Baz (again)

I just looked and my graphics card is a GeForce 7900GS (not exceptional by today's standards I know)

My monitor resolution is set to 1860 x 1050 (native)... it will not let me change it higher than that so I guess thats the max it thinks my pc can handle (maybe?!?)

I'm on here at the moment (obviously) and the forum pages used to fit the width of my screen but with this new monitor a have about 4 inches of white on either side of the forum page... same with other websites too.

It definately doesn't like youtube videos at full screen size (they DO fill the whole monitor by the way).

The monitor could be connected as VGA or via a HDMI cable (mine is VGA)

Are all monitors widescreen these days as maybe I should have got a square flat screen one :unsure:

Maybe I shouldn't have bought a widescreen one... I didnt notice at the time

Dizz try looking on the nvidia website for your video card and if there are any updated drivers for it.

I have a widescreen and have my screen resolution set to 1440 x 900 with a refresh rate of 60Hz.

As for the white section either side off the forum page that is present on mine unless I resize the browser window to get rid of it.

Thanks Evils I'll have a look.

Mines set to a refresh rate of 60Hz too althought there are not other refresh rate options.

Is 1440 x 900 your max resolution or just your own preference? I tried dropping down to a lower one but eyerything looked slightly smudged so I did what Baz said and took it upto it's possible max.

PS... I never thought of resizing the browser window, Durh :oops: I've just done that and now it looks and feels a bit better on the eyes as there's not as much dazzling white.... :D:D

Sorry Evils and Baz but my paranoid head has just woken up......

If I look for updates for my graphics card and install them is there ANY chance that it could mess my PC up in some way. I'd be really buggered as I've no idea where my original disk is to put the old drivers etc back again... and if it messes my pc graphics up how would I see what I was doing anyway :shock:

Time for another cup of decaf I think. I may leave it a week and see if things get better and if I get used to it before I start meddling :blink:

After all I did get used to my sh*te touch screen fancy all singing mobile phone in the end after refusing to use it for 5 months and leaving it in it's box (I got a telling off from my son)....it's quite good actually :oops::lol:

Create a system restore point before you install any drivers that way if there is a problem you should be able to go back to that point.

that is the max resolution that is shown in my nvidia settings panel and is about right for me, but in saying that i do have the large icons on my desktop as without my glasses I am hard pushed to see the keyboard let alone the screen display.B)

I just reveived this by email ..... :lol::lol:

For all of us who feel only the deepest love and affection for the way computers have enhanced our lives, read on.

At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated,

'If Ford had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon.'

In response to Bill Gates's comments, Ford issued a press release, stating:

'If Ford had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash......... twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only five percent of the roads.

6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single 'This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation' warning light.

(I love the next one!!!)

7. The airbag system would ask 'Are you sure?' before deploying.

8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

9. Every time a new car was introduced, car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as in the old car.

10. You'd have to press the 'Start' button to turn the engine off.

PS - I 'd like to add that when all else fails, you could call 'customer service' in some foreign country and be instructed in some foreign language how to fix your car yourself!!!!