Pupils lay first bricks of new school

Victor

some pupils are to lay the first bricks for the new Stockton Heath Primary School. I am sure that they will be very proud and exited when they are performing this ceremony. Of course, they are too young to realise that the new "state of the art" school (quote by councilor Sheila Woodyatt) is an insult to the fine building in which they are currently taught. The new building is a bog standard, off the shelf design with box-like classrooms, long narrow corridors which, I doubt, will do anything to improve educational standards. This is a new building which very few people wanted which was steamrolled ahead against the wishes of the majority of parents and the local comunity. I do hope that the children have been informed of this !!!!

I regularly look at the school, and whilst it is clearly one of period character, I'm not sure I would put it in the category of a "fine building". I'm also not sure indoctrinating children regarding the pros and cons of what is happening with the school is the right thing to do. The important thing is that they get a good education that will set them up for the rest of their lives.

Things have moved on even though some would wish to re-fight past battles, the decision, rightly or wrongly has been made, and now the costs have to be strictly monitored against budget.

Laying bricks.......might help encourage some young people to be our professional tradesmen of the future...we need them. :wink:

Originally posted by Paul Kennedy:

I regularly look at the school, and whilst it is clearly one of period character, I'm not sure I would put it in the category of a "fine building". I'm also not sure indoctrinating children regarding the pros and cons of what is happening with the school is the right thing to do. The important thing is that they get a good education that will set them up for the rest of their lives.

Things have moved on even though some would wish to re-fight past battles, the decision, rightly or wrongly has been made, and now the costs have to be strictly monitored against budget.

Laying bricks.......might help encourage some young people to be our professional tradesmen of the future...we need them. :wink:

Said like a true politician! :wink:

Originally posted by Paul Kennedy:

.......The important thing is that they get a good education that will set them up for the rest of their lives.

Sorry Paul (and McBain who seems to agree with you :wink: )

And also have you actually looked at the new building now that the structure and overall layout is visible?

Surely you are both basing your comments on what you perceive the building to be like, based on 3d images, pretty pictures, hard sell and other such twaddle rather than the reality of what is real :o

Well said, Dismayed. There are a lot of ill informed officials who have commented without finding out the actual facts for themselves, as you obviously have. And yes, I have looked at the girder and breezeblock skeleton (I bet Joseph Holt is turning in his grave) and I can't see where all this extra space is. In fact I doubt that the classrooms will be any more spacious than the present ones.

The old school is coming down, the new one is going up - this is the reality. Dwell on past glories if you need to, but I'm not condemning a new school before it's even finished (plenty of time to do that when it's been up and running for a few years!).

The big test will be the first Ofsted report about the new school. If it is better than those that preceded it (i.e. when the old building was in use) then I guess there'll be egg on the nay-sayers faces, if it goes the other way, I guess Woodyatt et. al. will be looking for a deep hole to hide in :D

Originally posted by McBain:

The old school is coming down, the new one is going up - this is the reality. Dwell on past glories if you need to, but I'm not condemning a new school before it's even finished (plenty of time to do that when it's been up and running for a few years!).

The big test will be the first Ofsted report about the new school. If it is better than those that preceded it (i.e. when the old building was in use) then I guess there'll be egg on the nay-sayers faces, if it goes the other way, I guess Woodyatt et. al. will be looking for a deep hole to hide in :D

Hiya McBain thought you'd vanished, I was starting to miss you :D I'd be asking some questions, stamping my feet and getting some modifications made pretty dam quick !!! If a 21st C school is what they were supposed to get then they should make sure they actually get it.

As for Ofsted reports.. they've always been very good indeed so there's a lot to live up to :wink:

Hey there Dismayed! Of course I had seen the "old school" from the outside (never been in) and we've all seen the computer generated images of what the "new school" could conceivably look like without errors by the builders, budget problems, design changes, short-cuts etc., but I stand by my view that this decision will be judged on the Ofsted reports. If these have always been positive (as I suspect they have) then anything less will be seen as a failure of the project - and this will (quite rightly) reflect poorly on those Council officers and Council members who fought for the demolition. Woodyatt etc. will be mighty nervous as they have nil influence with the Ofsted inspectors :D

Still, it would be expecting entirely too much of a Councillor or Council officer to be brave enough to admit that they got it wrong...

[ 02.11.2007, 10:08: Message edited by: Peter ]

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by McBain:

Hey there Dismayed! Of course I had seen the "old school" from the outside (never been in) and we've all seen the computer generated images of what the "new school" could conceivably look like without errors by the builders, budget problems, design changes, short-cuts etc., but I stand by my view that this decision will be judged on the Ofsted reports. If these have always been positive (as I suspect they have) then anything less will be seen as a failure of the project - and this will (quite rightly) reflect poorly on those Council officers and Council members who fought for the demolition. Woodyatt etc. will be mighty nervous as they have nil influence with the Ofsted inspectors

Still, it would be expecting entirely too much of a Councillor or Council officer to be brave enough to admit that they got it wrong...

Hi McBain... how come Peter edited your post :D

Pity you've never seen the school from the inside. I've got some cool pics that show it in it's true light ie spaceous, light, airy, well maintained, extremely well built etc etc but couldn't find a way to upload them into my posting for you. Oh well no doubt I'll find a use for them along with all the other info I have collated over the past few months :D

....but if the report matches the high levels already achieved in the past reports then is the new school ?6 million well spent or ?6 million wasted in providing a brand new school that matches the capabilities and success of the old school :wink:

As for any councillor/office ever admitting that they may have got it wrong? NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS. In fact some were asked the very same question very recently but the chair of the council meeting refused to let them answer the question :roll:

By the way if you have been past recently you may have noticed the new school build is coming on leaps and bounds. The single layer of external breezeblock now has a one/two inch layer of insulation and a single 'skim' layer of 'redish' brick to finish it off. Wonder if it would stand the force of the gales that we had last year? Here's hoping for bad weather soon ha ha !!

OLD vs NEW ????

• 2 weeks later...