Walton Locks

Wireboy

Whilst out for a walk last week I came across the derelict Walton Locks. It got me interested to find out more about the locks on-line.

After finding there purpose would it not be a good idea to reinstate them?

The lock was used to access the river Mersey into the town centre. The locks became surplus to requirements when industry closed in the town centre. (Thames Board, Bishops Warf etc)

After seeing how well other towns and cities have utilised town centre water space, Warrington could really be on to something here. The River Mersey is now the cleanest it has been since the start of industrial revolution. Seals and fish are now quite common.

If we re-open Walton locks boats can come into the town centre. I do not know if there is a demand for this but other towns seem to do quite well. Chester, Salford etc

How nice would it be to go over Warrington bridge and see boats lined up and people coming into the town? The boats would even be able to go as far as Victoria park.

I know Warrington and the River Mersey are not the most scenic off places but if there were regular boats in town it might attract other businesses that work in the marine trade.

Just a thought :)

Wireboy,

Walton Locks was going to have money spent on it 20 years ago, but faces changed and moved on. The new development on the timber yard are supposed to be spending money doing the area up, and don't forget this is Warrington that you are talking about. they destroy things rather than improve them like other towns.

Although Bridgefoot was supposed to become a river front with cafe's etc, until the money bubble burst.

Nice idea Wireboy but it will never happen now.

You obviously will have seen the big new housing development taking place and if you were at the old locks (trans pennine trail side) you would have also been facing the little 'sticky out bit' on the same side of the MSC as the hosuing development but other side of the lock entrance/exit to MSC. I didn't explain that very well did I but I'm sure you know where I mean.

The 'sticky out bit' also has planning permission for a load of houses/flats, although how on earth they will build all those on there is beyond me :?

So basically people have already bought homes with the promise that the old lock area will be turned into some sort of wildlife haven and tranquil trans pennine place (or whatever) so there is no way they could now say 'oooh sorry we are now reopening all the old water ways and locks.... look out of your window and watch the boats go by.... Atlantic Gateway Phase 2".

Not that many are queuing up to buy on there it seems and as awful as it sounds maybe it would help if the new residents at the Chester Road end of the development didn't sit outside their front doors on sunny days drinking beer with their trackies on smoking whatever it is they smoke on full view to passers buy and people visiting the sales department :oops::? Not really a good advert and sorry if I just offended anyone :?

Not that many are queuing up to buy on there it seems and as awful as it sounds maybe it would help if the new residents at the Chester Road end of the development didn't sit outside their front doors on sunny days drinking beer with their trackies on smoking whatever it is they smoke on full view to passers buy and people visiting the sales department :oops::? Not really a good advert and sorry if I just offended anyone :?

I know what you mean Dizzy! It does seem poor planning to put the 'Social housing' in full view of everyone passing when they are trying to sell the others! The problem seems to be that whatever is at the back of those houses doesn't get any sun in the afternoon, hence the display on the roadside. If that was my first view of a housing development where I was considering buying, I would turn round and go, without looking at any properties.

I honestly don't think it will happen as the Mersey channel leading to the lock is heavily silted and overgrown with vegitation, a simple dredging operation would be difficult and costly to carry out and to be honest the river flow can be very fast and not safe for small craft to navigate plus why would pleasure boats want to come to Warrington there are no moorings available, aint' going to happen folks!. Visit here for pictures.

http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=15544

Great link Algy and some good pics on there eh. Looks a bit worse for wear though eh.

When we bought our house the solicitors land search showed plans for the demolition of the cement works and the old inlet of the locks etc to become some sort of a boat haven. I don't know if that included the reopening of the old river but I guess it must have as leisure boats aren't allowed on the MSC (are they ??).

Anyway it never happeded... (obviously)

Dizz, leisure craft are allowed on the MSC but only by booking with the authority, there is usual a flotilla of narrowboats sail up every year. I don't think the restriction is due to safety but rather the water and labour usage in operating the locks as it would not be feasable for one or two small boats passing through a lock that is why the MSC allow them up or down in large numbers.

Dizz, what are you like, below I have copied & pasted a reply to a post that appeared on this forum 8th June 2009, and you participated with a reply, and I thought my memory was bad!.

Click on the link and you will see a photo of the boats in a MSC lock.

vic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:10 am Reply with quote

Victor wrote:

Dismayed wrote.....

They apparently need to be certified, have insurance, a mobile phone and give 48 hours notice to the harbour master

You certainly would need to be certified to go on the Manchester Ship Canal in a private boat

It's a doddle. http://www.johndavies.org/pic-shipcanal06-narrowboats.jpg

http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/Tour_02/Tour02_27.html

Get on to the canal at Salford Quays off the Bridgewater Canal, or off the Weaver Navigation (via Anderton Lift), or at Ellesmere Port off the Shropshire Union, or at Eastham Locks onto the Mersey - and then into Liverpool and into the docks (used to be past the Pier Head to Stanley Dock) and then via the new link to the Leeds & Liverpool Canal.

"Port Warrington" would be west of the swing bridges in Warrington, and I doubt there's much commercial advantage in putting freight on a barge between Warrington and Salford (through several sets of locks). So it's unlikely to be a problem for the existing swing bridges, and any major development of the site will need the infrastructure to cope. The main issue would be road traffic to the site; if they build a new bridge over the Ship Canal it could form part of a west Warrington bypass, if they rely on Moore swingbridge for access that would surely need a new road to the A56 (or A558).

• 1 year later...

scrublandnearWaltonLocks_zpsfd3a5e96.jpg

This is the scrubland that the new residents living near Walton Locks look at, and it is no surprise that the plans are to fill this in and build houses too!  There's a lot of building going on around here, some right next to the ship canal, and the (almost) dried up bed of the river lends itself to even more space for development. Good or bad? I would have liked the area to have been put to some good recreational use, not housing. But let's face it, in this day and age that is hardly likely to happen. I'd be all in favour of a waterway, but that would cost millions so unlikely to be favoured by private enterprise, and Warrington council don't go in for "visions of the future" for the town, do they?

I agree with everything you have said middlec. like yourself it would be wonderfull to have the lock reinstated but apart from the expense who would use it?. the river at that point is tidal and flows very fast on the ebb making it dangerous for small craft to negotiate, it's just not a starter!.

Hiya bobbrakes and welcome to the forum. :)

I googled but cant find anything about the Peels 'Water Meeting' plan you mention.  Do you have a link please as I would like to read that.

When the Walton Locks (and also the now newly named 'Stockton Pointe') housing plans were all approved the old locks and surrounding land/waters including the trans pennine trail were ALL supposed to be being enhanced and developed as nature/water 'features' as part of the plans and application etc.  Has this all changed now then ?

There will  be an awful lot of rather annoyed people if it has been

The "Waters meet linear park" report is by an outfit called Randall Thorp.There is also an archaeological survey.I almost wept when I realised just how decent Peel are.I hope they receive a crust for their public benevolence.And after infilling the locks and driving sheet piles at the entrance to the first pair of gates they casually state "the navigation could be restored if need be".And my plans for a BS powered space vehicle are going well.

The "Waters meet linear park" report is by an outfit called Randall Thorp.There is also an archaeological survey.I almost wept when I realised just how decent Peel are.I hope they receive a crust for their public benevolence.And after infilling the locks and driving sheet piles at the entrance to the first pair of gates they casually state "the navigation could be restored if need be".And my plans for a BS powered space vehicle are going well.

You forgot to add the sarc\

I'd think that, apart from losing the navigation rights, there would be issues over flood relief. If the Mersey is high, does it still flood this area, and wouldn't water then go into the canal and down to the Weaver sluices (which would go back into the Mersey, but far enough downstream not to have an impact back at Warrington)?