Regime change.

Well that was short and to the point Algy :wink:

Have to agree with you there but many people support his beliefs so when he's dragged out should he be shot or jailed. :?

Which one (if any) is more likely to end the conflict ?

He should be put on trial as Saddam was subjected to and I am certain the same result would ensue.

On that basis, why bother wasting ?millions (of our money) on air intervention and the attempt at pseudo-legality? Far cheaper and quicker (and more honest), to have the CIA assassinate him in the first place. Then move on to Syria, Yemen, Bahrain, Saudi and China. China? Perhaps not - bit too big to mess with methinks! :wink:

On that basis, why bother wasting ?millions (of our money) on air intervention and the attempt at pseudo-legality? Far cheaper and quicker (and more honest), to have the CIA assassinate him in the first place. Then move on to Syria, Yemen, Bahrain, Saudi and China. China? Perhaps not - bit too big to mess with methinks! :wink:

The first part of your statement to my thinking is spot on obs, we should never have meddled in the first place however as we have become involved let us complete the job and get out of there, as for the rest of them they should be left to sort their own problems out, we are a relatively small nation with limited financial and manpower resources that is struggling to keep our own heads above water, crusades have a habit of finishing in disaster and if we are not careful we shall finish up with a 'bloody nose' yet again, remember Suez?.

Obs, you accuse Bill of falling for the "myth" of precision weapons and yet you believe that the CIA have the ability to somehow infiltrate Gaddafi's security set-up and assisinate him at will?

Remind me, how long did it take the CIA to track down Bin Laden? and how many un-successful attempts have they made on Castro's life over the years?

You've been reading too many Frederick Forsyth novels!

Nope, just keeping up to date with the news - 100s of Pakistan Taliban have been eliminated using drone technology - but my comment was a tongue in cheek reply to the naive notion that the RAF can do the job. The only way "civilians" can be "protected" would be to insert UN troops between the warring factions and physically seperate them with a de-mil zone, thus literally forcing a cease fire - doubt there's much political enthusiasm for "boots on the ground" though; and that's not really the game plan is it?! :wink:

100s of Pakistan Taliban have been eliminated using drone technology

Along with hundreds of the innocent civilians they were hiding behind. I thought you were concerned about civilian casualties?

A drone can't acheive anything which a manned plane cannot. The only differences are that they have a longer endurance so you get more time over the target area waiting for the bad guy to make an appearance, and you don't put an aircrew and their rescuers at risk when one gets shot down. What a drone definitely cannot do is carry the sort of heavy weapons needed to crack open the bunkers Gaddafi is hiding in - they're only really any good against above ground targets.

The UN resolution specifically forbids foreign occupying forces on the ground, so if you're concerned about legality that option is out anyway.

What's left is to either go after Gaddafi directly - even if he's hiding in a bunker under a school or a hospital. Or to conduct a long, drawn out campaign to remove his ability to be a threat to the civilian population - by destroying each and every police, military and mercenary unit loyal to him. That means killing thousands of them, inevitably means many civilian casualties, and will cause huge destruction to the infrastructure and economy of the country.

Personally I'd fund, arm and train the opposition and let them fight their own battle - with direct air support, intelligence and reconnaissance provided by NATO.

Which makes a sick joke of the whole affair - they went in under the guise of "protecting civilians", a process which involves dropping HE on targets surrounded by residential property, plus the mistakes of hitting "friendlies". The reality is they are trying to assasinate Gadafi and thereby secure "regime change", but that isn't what they are saying, nor is their mandate. I guess Mugabe is thankfull that Zimbawe has no oil! :wink: