Abandon nuclear energy?

observer

Where would we get all the extra energy we need from Obs...and where are the Germans going to get their's from, which in turn could lessen the supply for everyone else ?

I believe the French will be building more of their nuclear power stations over here... I wonder why they aren't buidling them in France :?

French companies - with recent experience and knowledge of building nuclear reactors in France - are bidding for the contracts to build OUR next generation of nuclear plants because successive UK governments effectively dismantled our own, previously world leading, nuclear industry.

Now that we need those skills again, we have to go overseas for them.

I'm sure I was recently told they are buiding THEIR nuclear reactors over here.. not 'ours'.

Companies over here have already been bidding to be involved and a local one has been shortlisted. France are also looking for UK workers with nuclear experience to be part of the team :wink:

It's EDF (French) which is one of the main bidders to build new reactors in the UK. They will, of course, be sub-contracting chunks of the work to UK based firms - and will have to at least promise to recruit UK labour for the build in order to stand a chance of winning such a politically charged deal.

We already import electricity from France via cables under the English Channel, thanks to nuclear France has a surplus in generating capacity. Plus, France has a much more nuclear sympathetic regulatory and environmental regime, EDF don't need to build reactors here to supply their home market.

At the end of the day, no UK company has been the prime contractor in a major nuclear design and build for a generation. We have capabilities - particularly on the reprocessing side - but nowhere near enough to carry out such a project solo.

But why are the French building their reactors over here Inky?

Why don't they just build them over there and we and other countries will import the elec through the cables under the channel as we do now. Seems safer to me :wink:

Apart from which thanks to Blair and Dave we are now sitting ducks when it comes to the threat of terrorism and we don't even have as many defence capabilities thanks to the never ending bloody cuts and scrappage of our ships and planes.. and more to follow no doubt.

Are the UK capable of nuclear power... no, we are not capable of anything anymore it would seem... we are becoming a laughing stock.. we sold our gold reserves, we can't even control our own bankers or grow our own veggies and fruit :evil:

Did something just rattle me :evil::oops::lol:

But why are the French building their reactors over here Inky?

They're not. They're bidding to build OUR reactors for us over here - coz we can no longer do it for ourselves. The power generated will feed directly into the UK national grid.

EDF are also planning to ramp up nuclear generating capacity in France so that they've got more surplus they can sell to Germany now that the German Greens have forced the decision to shut down their own nuclear. (apparently, importing nuclear generated electricity from France - and wasting up to 30% of it in losses from long distance power lines - is Greener than generating it for themselves :roll::roll: )

Are the UK capable of nuclear power... no, we are not capable of anything anymore it would seem... we are becoming a laughing stock.. we sold our gold reserves, we can't even control our own bankers or grow our own veggies and fruit :evil:

That's why I said some time ago, we are rapidly becoming a 4th World country.

Perhaps in 50 years time India, China and these other countries that we give millions to, will be returning the favour. (I don't think) :roll:

Neither do I Peter... amd like we both seem to agree (that's a first :lol: ) the UK is becoming a laughing stock and a soft touch.

Need a dictator removing? "Ask the UK",

Need someone to blame? "Blame the UK",

Need some money? "ask the UK",

Need some work "go to the UK and they will even give you benefits, houses and schooling for free" ...

Why? "....because their leaders are so desperate to look good and have cocked so many things up internally that their only hope of slight recognition or a second of positive fame to save what little bit of face they have left is to agree to anything outside of their own country... so get asking chaps we are on a winner here... they are losers "

Who said that :shock::oops:8)

• 2 weeks later...

Im not too keen on nuclear power, as it produces waste with hideous half lifes. What would be better is to restart the coal industry, and generate power via coal (the technology is there to scrub out the nasties, carbon dioxide is nothing more than plant food)

there is alot of talk on Thorium reactors (no harmful waste), who knows

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorium#Thorium_as_a_nuclear_fuel

National news today and I quote :blink:

"The Government has pushed ahead with plans for new nuclear power plants in the UK as it confirmed a list of eight sites where the next generation of reactors can be built.

In the first major announcement on the future of nuclear in the UK since the Fukushima disaster in Japan, the Government outlined the locations deemed suitable for new power stations by 2025, all of which are adjacent to existing nuclear sites.

The eight sites are: Bradwell, Essex; Hartlepool; Heysham, Lancashire; Hinkley Point, Somerset; Oldbury, South Gloucestershire; Sellafield, Cumbria; Sizewell, Suffolk; and Wylfa, Anglesey."

more here......

http://latestnews.virginmedia.com/news/uk/2011/06/23/sites_for_new_nuclear_plants_named