Food miles?

observer

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Algy, surely farmers are hard working paragons of good health and custodions of the countryside and champions of quality food, not money grubbing whingers who'll do owt for a quid :wink::wink::D

I've never met a happy or rich farmer to be honest, well if you believe them that is.

Algy, surely farmers are hard working paragons of good health and custodions of the countryside and champions of quality food, not money grubbing whingers who'll do owt for a quid :wink::wink::D

I've never met a happy or rich farmer to be honest, well if you believe them that is.

Correct. They are to busy wondering how they are going to get shafted by the Super stores to find time for anything else. :roll:

Correct. They are to busy wondering how they are going to get shafted by the Super stores to find time for anything else. :roll:

Still never met a rich one Peter. Loads with brand new Land rovers and huge houses, horses for the kids etc. but no money. :wink:

Seriously though. the villain of the piece is the supermarkets and their control of prices but thats still no excuse for them driving a tractor on the roads at 10 mph. They have wheels specially designed for fields and they drive next to fields on the roads. Drive on the bloody fields :wink:

A little homage to McIntyre

Peter, newsflash, The banks "own" most businesses and houses and cars too. What makes a farmer so special. Check the prices of plant used in ALL industry. Also don't the E.U. pay them to plant nowt??? and they get cheaper fuel.

PJ......Why do our farmers get paid to leave their fields fallow :?

Its to do with keeping the artificially high prices which are governed from the top down I think.. I'm sure somebody with more time and patience than me will come along with a perfectly googled explanation for us both Dizzy

One of the things I do not like about the EU is the farming subsidy, It was a French invention, as they are very proud of their peasant farmers. Its basic premise is to give money to uneconomic farms, ie French farms :wink: British hill farms do benefit from it as well, also the EU pay farmers to grow nothing, it used to be called set a side. farmers from all over the EU benefit from that.

Ouch PJ... I hope your wife isn't reading :shock: Infact what does your wife think you are doing at the moment or is she just enjoying the peace and quiet herself :wink:

Anyway before we digress further... back to food, e-coli, miles, farmers, the EU and poop :D

Remember the butter mountain etc Dizzy, of a few years ago? that's why they pay them to keep the ground fallow as there would be an "over" surplus of food and drink. I have a feeling that it wasn't done sensibly as the better farmers had tonnage cuts, rather than the less efficient.

PJ why attack me as it was "you" who were on about the hard times they have? :shock::D

I don't remember the butter mountain... when was that then :?

(post edited by me 6 hours after posting it as I put 'market' instead of 'mountain'.... yesterday it was 'boat' instead of 'car' I need help and medication) :oops:

PJ Apology accepted. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: oooooh you Naughty boy. Sarcasm? :shock: The reason I didn't pick up on that, is that I wouldn't know how to be sarcastic. :D (I can just visualise the convo's with your sidekick) lol :wink:

No worries Peter. He's told me about your meeting and described you to me but I feel sure he must be exaggerating. :wink: