Closure of Woolston Community High School

lotts

Hello all

A quick reminder to say that ALL responses for this stage of the consultation process, via paper or email, need to be submitted to New Town House no later than Friday 9th November. email to amt@warrington.gov.uk

Alternatively you are welcome to drop any responses/letters into Woolston Community High School by the end of the day Thursday, or email save-woolston-chs@hotmail.co.uk and we will forward comments for you.

Please don't assume that everyone else is responding and one more wont make a difference. It could be your response that tips the balance!

I would ask that as many people as possible respond to this consultation. This is not just a 'Woolston' issue, the effects will be much more far reaching if the Executive Board are allowed to get away with this!

Hi Charlotte, I'll be there Friday with you to hand over the comments to Cllr Woodyatt at 1.30pm at New Town House. Just a note with regards to the fact that I thought we lived in a democratic society - not in Warrington - I attended the full council meeting last Monday, you'll recall after Cllr Marks said we were out of order making all of that noise etc they 'voted' on a few issues and you could see the divide - it was a vote on anything and everything to the party line in all they discussed - not just the Woolston issue. Every email response I have had and I've had hundreds the official line from Lib Dem/Tories say's ' it's not political' my **** - and I don't normally vent off but what can I say, they are sat on each side of the fence. I hope that at least one of the Exec Committee has some, can I say Balls? you catch my drift I hope that they do and will represent the Town as they were elected to do so and not just pay us lip service as they appear to be doing.

Kind regards

Paul

All you out there who think it is political - try looking back over the past three years and check out which party started the process!

The only thing I would say is that it is a done deal and no matter how much protesting takes place it will happen - because of the directives/funding provided by the LABOUR government! :roll:

Well I've got hundreds of leaflets from Hilda to post by Friday the day before the next March.

If anyone wants to help I'll be doing the Padgate area inside Padgate Lane, Manchester Rd and King Edwards Street. And if you live around there please put the kettle on because I'm going to be very thirsty. :D

On Sarurday everyone is meeting at Woolston Community High School at 10am to March to Warrington.

It's just as well that I've started running again, plus I need the exercise to get the old blood pressure down :D

I'm currently getting an application for a new job completed by 5pm but after that I'm all yours and will head off to southern Padgate. :D

Mind you I did visit your school this morning to ask if they'd diplay a Woolston Rovers u/17 Rugby League for my son. I hope he gets some interest. Plus I think I recruited an ex-Army work colleague so JP will be there with you as well. He's done plenty of marching. He live in Woolston.

:D

Originally posted by Eagle:

Not at all Geoff I have very little knowledge of the area, but isn't one of the objections to the closure the fact that Woolston residents have a fear of venturing into Padgate? :spin:

No I lived in Padgate and my children went to Woolston, its about choice and I choose not to send them to Padgate, I know live in Sankey and they still go to Woolston its a great school and my son loves it.

There is no reason to close any school.

Originally posted by willywonka:

Pity nobody ever listens to the teachers:

Schools face a downsizing revolution

Observer

I must read this tomorrow if I get my specs back, its been a nighmare completing a form when you can't see clearly.

When I heard about the optimum size on the telly I thought of Woolston as well as Padgate. Will this be a lifeline?

Like many others have done this week I finally had time to deliver leaflets for WCHS.

My round took only 2 hours and was the area bordered by Padgate Lane, Manchester Road and Edward Street. I'd never been down any of the roads before and thought it was too far away for any pupils to make the journey.

How wrong I was as lots do, even more surprising some of the shop owners are former pupils. In the sports shop there is the ex-head boy and his wife. Next door in the estate agents is another ex-pupil.

All three have found memories and feel sad about its proposed demise.

Originally posted by Geoff Settle:

My round took only 2 hours and was the area bordered by Padgate Lane, Manchester Road and Edward Street. I'd never been down any of the roads before and thought it was too far away for any pupils to make the journey.

I used to live on Marsh House Lane when I started at Woolston, though my parents subsequently moved to Paddington. Walked there and back most days. Before that I went to Oakwood Avenue Junior School as was then (now Primary) - a lot of my fellow classmates went to Woolston, a few went to Padgate, the remainder went to Boteler.

How many kids are currently on the roll at Woolston High School and how many children SHOULD it cater for (based on it's size and the council's AMP etc etc) any idea?

What are the approximate current 'pupil per class' numbers?

What have the yearly inatake figures been over the past 5 years and what are the council's 'projected' figures for the next 10 years (or 5 if that's easier.)

thanks

Originally posted by Dismayed:

Q - How many kids are currently on the roll at Woolston High School and how many children SHOULD it cater for (based on it's size and the council's AMP etc etc) any idea?

Ans - I'm sure but it's in the high 900's just like Padgate High and they are matching what they should be catering for.

Q - What are the approximate current 'pupil per class' numbers?

Ans - Not sure but it's in the published report I'll have to try and find my copy but Gary should have one.

Q - What have the yearly intake figures been over the past 5 years and what are the council's 'projected' figures for the next 10 years (or 5 if that's easier.)

Ans - Again as above, but the projected figure did show that numbers are falling

thanks

However when the figures were calculated there were no plans for the redevelopment of the old Police training centre or Peel Hall :o

If and when these two go ahead and there maybe more given the current planners weak ability to control such matters then this will have a huge knock on effect.

Changes are already taking place as some primary school that feed into Birchwood High for example have started to experience an unexpected influx of new pupils.

The joined up thinking and planning is not necessarily holding up.

So put your walking boots on and get down to Woolston on Saturday at 10am for the march to Town. :D

[ 16.11.2007, 06:00: Message edited by: Geoff Settle ]