?2.9 million -

observer

Well there used to be a roundabout - then they "improved" it with pedestrian crossings, introducing a time delay on traffic movement. Then they carried out further "improvements" by introducing traffic lights on the roundabout, thus causing traffic back-up and consequent congestion. Now that these appear to be deemed a failiure - presumably they want to take the roundabout out altogether - a further "improvement"? It would seem our highway Czars have money to burn on "improvements" - perhaps some of it could be used for the more mundane task of "improving" our road surfaces and utilising road space to it's full potential? :?

The junction of Holes Lane and Manchester road is just about finished.

This is right by me so I speak from first hand experience both as a motorist and a pedestrian and from my perspective, this makeover isn?t just a waste of money, it?s made this junction dangerous. :shock:

As a pedestrian, I?ve used this crossing daily for the last 15 years and I?ve never had any issues. The lights here have three distinct phases giving ample time to cross, aided by two pedestrian islands. Now though, they?ve removed one of the islands and fitted a fenced off zigzag section to the other. Now we have to cross three lanes in one go and can?t benefit from the phase of the lights.

The bottom line is that since this has been implemented, it?s become infinitely harder to cross the road so they?ve actually created a need for a pedestrian controlled crossing that wasn?t needed in the first place; what sort of logic is that? :roll:

Worst of all, the removal of the islands between the filter lanes causes many drivers to confuse the filter lights with those for the main road with the result that I?ve now had FOUR near misses in as many weeks where drivers have gone right through on red! I?ve never seen that happen so many times in the whole fifteen years I?ve been here. :shock:

Seems nobody looked how this junction was working and they just applied a standard solution and cocked it all up.

Bill :)

I am unsure of what area you refer to when talking of improvements..

If it is the Maqnchester Road changes, then the traffic lights at Gorsey Lane / Padgate Lane seem to be slower than before and there is a lot of traffic congestion in all directions. Is this part of the improvements?

The list is endless, ccokhedge roundabout, westbrook centre, calver road. I've seen the plans for this and the improvement is nominal. I expect this will bring Winwick road to a halt in due course as its already queing back to the M62 most days at rush hour.

I think I know what is happening

The pedestrians (visible or invisible) and cyclists (visible or invisible) are taking over the roads and will have to pay road taxes.

Vehicles will be using the mile wide cycle paths and will not have to pay any road taxes.

After all it is our human rights to use whatever route is available. isn't it?

conspiracy time, but maybe these "improvements" is so motorists burn more fuel, therefore paying more fuel duty to the govt?

the DfT has been known to prevent councils from implementing fuel saving devices such as "green wave" in the past for this very reason.

Would a one way system around the centre of Warrington make sense? I think it would. It would solve the bottle neck over the Mersey for a start

A one way system around Manchester Rd, Church St, Funnel St would in my view be a goo idea also. By using filter lanes you could get rid of the traffic lights at Church St, Manchester Rd and the roundabout at Church St and Funnel Lane.

Or am I wrong?

I?ve just had one of my staff come in this morning absolutely livid about what they?ve done to the lights here on Manchester Road. He say?s it?s happened to him twice now where cars have come steaming through the lights while he was turning across the carriageway.

He?s lucky, it?s happened to me four times now so statistically, there?s a high probability it?s happening to most others.

I?ll put money on there being a significant accident at this junction with possible loss of life well before the end of the year.

Wonder if anyone in the planning department?s ready to take up my offer? :roll:

Bill :)

They might think the are Peter but I'm going down there tomorrow morning to demand to speak with the pillock that did this. There's no way that some idiot in planning is going to put my life at risk this way. :evil::evil::evil:

It's just happened again this evening! That's five times now in just a few weeks, while before this change, I think I've had it's happen to me once in the last 15 years.

It's got to be changed urgently or at the very least bloody big sign put up to warn people of the danger they've created.

Bill :evil::evil::evil:

Oooh confused again....

Obs were you originally asking about the Winwick Road 'improvement' scheme that has just been approved as you do keep us guessing as to what you are on about :P

...... or were you talking about Manchester Road and other recent road changes that have clearly been a waste of time and from what Bill has said rather dangerous too it seems ?

Not looking forward to the Winwick Road changes though.... yes the island is needs sorting as it's pretty bad if you go up Winwick Road wanting to go right towards long lane as you have to lane swap half way round to be in the right lane at the lights but 8+ months of road works is going to be a complete and utter nightmare and will it all be better or worse in the end :?

Perhaps they should only have the lights on at rush hours. Bet the traffic would flow a lot better without them.

WEll of course it would, and on all the other roundabouts in Warrington

Said this on here before, OK the lights are needed peak times but take the light down on the actual rounabout and delay the lights so the traffic clears off the roundabout.

No need to spend millions changing the layout

Perhaps they should only have the lights on at rush hours. Bet the traffic would flow a lot better without them.

Agreed! roundabouts are fantastic things, they give equal priority at all points of entry to the roundabout, why have lights on them at 11PM? :lol::lol: