Stockton Heath,Stretton & Walton.

algy

Many of these photograph?s may be available

from the Warrington Museum/Library and will

be of far superior quality to those viewed here.

Anyone having any issue with the displaying

of these photographs due to copyright or

ownership infringement please contact me either by PM.

or through the Moderators and I shall

remove them immediately.

StrettonVillage.jpg

Stretton Village.

WaltonVillage.jpg

Walton Village.

WaltontheStagInn.jpg

The Stag Inn, Lower walton.

WaltonRoadinthe1800s.jpg

Walton Road in the 1800s.

WaltonPostOffice.jpg

Walton Village Post Office.

WaltonOldHall.jpg

Walton Old Hall.

WaltonOldHallreargarden.jpg

Walton Old Hall rear garden.

Waltonlockconstructionc1890.jpg

The construction of Walton Lock c1890.

WaltonHall.jpg

Walton Hall.

WaltonHalltheHeadGardenersCottage.jpg

Walton Hall the Head Gardeners Cottage.

Waltonhallgardens2.jpg

Walton Hall gardens & lily pond.

WaltonHallGardens1.jpg

Walton Hall Gardens in the early years.

WaltonHallGardens.jpg

Walton Hall & Gardens.

TraminStocktonHeath-1906.jpg

1906. The tram terminus in Stockton Heath square, the old 'Mullberry tree' just before demolishing.

TraminStocktonHeath-1914.jpg

1914. A Tram travelling up London Road, Stockton Heath.

Stretton1910aboutTheStrettontoWhitleymotorbus.jpg

The Stretton to Whitley motorbus.

StrettonHall.jpg

Stretton Hall.

Strangesbreadvanprethe1914-18wardriverWilliamBridgewaskilledinthiswar.jpg

Strange's bread van before the1914-18 war, the driver William Bridge was lost his life in this war.

StocktonHeath1909SkatingonAckersPit.jpg

Stockton Heath 1909, a sign of a hard winter, Skating on Ackers Pit.

StocktonHeath1911loadingnarrowboatsatLondonBridge.jpg

1911. Loading narrowboats at London Bridge wharf.

StocktonHeath1904Wilderspooltramwaybeingextended.jpg

1904.Wilderspool tramway being extended into the village.

StocktonHeath1900searlyThejunctionwithGrappenhallRdChesterRdLumbBrooke.jpg

1900. The junction with Grappenhall Rd. & Chester Rd. Lumb Brook.

StocktonHeath1900searlyThejunctionofLumbBrookChesterRdGrappenhallRd.jpg

1900. Same area different aspect of the junction with Grappenhall Rd. & Chester Rd. at Lumb Brook.

StocktonHeath1894LondonRoadwasrealignedtopassoverthenewSwingbridge.jpg

1894. London Road has been realigned to pass over the new Swingbridge.

StocktonHeathWaltonRoad.jpg

Walton Road, not really changes much in a 100 years or so.

StocktonHeathWaltonRdsignposttoLowerWaltonHigherWaltonStretton.jpg

Stockton Heath, Walton Rd. fingerpost shows the way to Lower Walton, Higher Walton & Stretton.

StocktonHeathVictoriaSquaretheoldPoliceStation.jpg

Victoria Square, the old Police Station.

StocktonHeaththeWarMemorial.jpg

Stockton Heath War Memorial.

StocktonheaththeoriginalChesterRdnowWhitefieldRd.jpg

Stockton Heath the original Chester Rd. now Whitefield Rd.

Peter, not sure if the photo was taken in Whitley it may have been in Stretton, I am unable to identify the buildings, or it is more likely that the service ran from both villages transporting people to Stockton Heath & Warrington or even Northwich. I shall make some enquiries.

I may be wrong, but the fourth photograph looks like the junction of Walton Road and Whitefield Road and it appears to be taken from where the roundabout is now. If that is the case, then we owned the shop in the forefront of the picture. it was number 78 Walton Road and was eventually subject of a Compulsary Purchase Order along with number 1 Whitefield Road to make the bend onto Whitefield Road more safe. We bought the shop and flat above from a family called Brown and we were there until about 1968.

You are right Teeside. I uploaded the same picture onto the other Stockton Heath photo thread of Algys a week or so ago but it was no where near as clear as the one Algy has uploaded here.

Anyway here's the info I put with it ...

"Walton Road looking towards the village c1890.

On the left are Toll Bar Cottages (names after the Toll Gate which was once on the road). On the right is the shop that used to stand on the corner of Whitefield Road prior to road widening. In the distance is the builders yard where the garage now is.

An just visible is the roof of Ebenezer the original Wesleyan Methodist Church. "

What did you used to sell in your shop ?

Algy...

On the "Stockton Heath War Memorial" photo have you any idea what the white structure is to the left of the war memorial. I zoomed in and it looks to have a glass ? panel in the front.. I thought it might have been a phone box but did they have phone boxes then :oops:

You are right Teeside. I uploaded the same picture onto the other Stockton Heath photo thread of Algys a week or so ago but it was no where near as clear as the one Algy has uploaded here.

Anyway here's the info I put with it ...

"Walton Road looking towards the village c1890.

On the left are Toll Bar Cottages (names after the Toll Gate which was once on the road). On the right is the shop that used to stand on the corner of Whitefield Road prior to road widening. In the distance is the builders yard where the garage now is.

An just visible is the roof of Ebenezer the original Wesleyan Methodist Church. "

What did you used to sell in your shop ?

We were Grocers. My Dad was a manager for Percy Mountfield at the Beehive Stores at Stretton (we lived first at 6, Red Gables, Pepper St, Appleton, then 73 Ellesmere Rd, Stockton Heath), then my parents bought the shop sometime in the early sixties and we lived above it.

Dizz, you are 'spot on' it is a telephone box, I dont know the exact date but I would say the War Memorial would have been erected somewhere between 1922 & 26, plenty of phones around by then although not for the working class folks. :wink:

Oooh I remember us chatting on here some time ago now Teeside as there were some other local photo's on and it turned out that you actually lived in what is now my sisters house many years ago... :D Still a small world eh :wink:

Do you know, widening the road actually made very little difference in the end. Somewhere at home I've got a photograph of me outside the front window of the shop in my 'Jimmy Clitheroe' St Thomas' School uniform. If I can find it I'll put it on here. It gives a good view of some of the old style advertising boards around the shop.