Warren Hill Maternity Home, Woolston Road

Eddie Newall

Me and my sister were born at the Warren Hill Maternity Home, Woolston Road, in the 1940s in the sub-district of Winwick which was in the registration district of Newton. I suspect that Woolston Road was in Woolston and that Woolston came under Winwick at that time. However, I can?t find any trace of Woolston Road in Woolston, or in Winwick.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Hi I just did a quick search and I couldn't find it either but I did find a record on the 1911 census on 'find my past' for

schedule 11 - Road Warren Hill - Civil Parsih Woolston with Martinscroft Registration District Warrington County Lancashire

I can't view it though as I only have 5 credits and it takes 10 credits :oops:

Probably not much help to you as you are looking for 'Woolston Road' and in the 1940's but maybe it has a connection or became that a few years later ?? I'll keep looking anyway.

And just for some more probably totally uselss info

I found the same Road (ie Warren Hill Lane) on 'ancestry' for 1911 too but more detail as I could view the actual hand written census and it shows it to be in

Civil Parish Woolston with Martinscroft Ecclesiastical Parish Padgate Registration District Warrington County Newton Lancashire

To give you a rough idea where it was the schedule records for the page go

Long Barn Lane

Dam Lane

Warren Hill Lane

Holes Lane

Manchester Road (part of)

Rope & Anchor

You propbably think I'm bonkers but I do think it is relevant in some way :oops: Just a pity there is no access to the later census records eh.

Hi Dizzy, thanks for those replies. Regarding the 1911 census that you found using FindMyPast, schedule 11 gives 8 people living at that address:

GORTON, Edward Head Married M 46 1865 Glue Manufacturer Lanc Dalton Nr Wigan VIEW

GORTON, Elizabeth Wife Married

22 years F 48 1863 Lanc Shevington Nr Wigan VIEW

GORTON, Sybil Daughter Single F 18 1893 Clerk Lanc Shevington Nr Wigan VIEW

GORTON, Charlotte Margaret Daughter Single F 16 1895 Clerk Lanc Westhoughton Nr Bolton VIEW

GORTON, Elizabeth Alice Daughter F 14 1897 School Girl Lanc Holcombe Brook Nr Myer VIEW

GORTON, Clara Bimson Daughter F 12 1899 School Girl Lanc Holcombe Brook Nr Myer VIEW

GORTON, Edward William Son M 10 1901 School Boy Lanc Holcombe Brook Nr Myer VIEW

NARAH, Mary Servant Single F 28 1883 General Servant Lanc Hollinfare Nr Warrington VIEW

Registration District:

Warrington Sub District:

Rixton Enumeration District:

2 Parish:

Woolston with Martinscroft

Address:

Warren Hill Woolston Near Warrington County:

Lancashire

Regarding your second reply, I recognise the names of those lanes from my childhood and suspect that the maternity home was in that area. I did wonder whether my mother or father had got the address wrong but surely the Registrar would have been familiar with the correct address of a maternity home!

Thanks again for trying to help.

Hiya Eddie

The 1911 Census Summary on Ancestry for Warren Hill Lane show the following Heads of Household and males/females living in Warren Hill Lane

Mr Ryder 1 male 3 female

Mr Gorton 2 male 6 female

Mr Owen 5 male 2 female

Mr Platt 1 male 2 female

Mr Houghton 1 male 3 female

Mr Kilmartin 3 male 0 female

Mr Jump 1 male 4 female

Mr Houghton 2 male 4 female

No idea why I am telling you that other than I had it :lol:

As for your mother and father / registrar possibly getting the address wrong I really don't know.

Just clutching at straws here but maybe the maternity home you and your sister were born at was not like say the Old Warps at Victoria Park but more like a private house, offering midwiferry care etc (do you spell it like that?)

Perhaps it was home to/owned/run by a nurse or doctor as a small business or something and those who could afford to go there did rather than giving birth at home.

Like I say just a wild guess though. Sorry I can't be of more help

Hi everyone, an update, Woolston RD on my birth certificate is an abbreviation for Woolston Rural District, not Woolston Road, sorry for the confusion! Warrington Library hasn't got any record of a maternity home in Woolston so if anyone comes across any information I would be interested.

• 9 years later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/7/2011 at 12:09 PM, Eddie Newall said:

Me and my sister were born at the Warren Hill Maternity Home, Woolston Road, in the 1940s in the sub-district of Winwick which was in the registration district of Newton. I suspect that Woolston Road was in Woolston and that Woolston came under Winwick at that time. However, I can?t find any trace of Woolston Road in Woolston, or in Winwick.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?