Old Photos of Warrington - Stockton Heath. 1.

algy

Many of these photograph?s may be available

from the Warrington Museum/Library and will

be of far superior quality to those viewed here.

Anyone having any issue with the displaying

of these photographs due to copyright or

ownership infringement please contact me either by PM.

or through the Moderators and I shall

remove them immediately.

TheoldPoliceStationStocktonHeath.jpg

The old Police Station (left).

StocktonheathMountSandyLane.jpg

Stockton Heath Mount Sandy Lane.

StocktonHeathMillPoolCottages.jpg

Mill Pool Cottages.

StocktonHeathLumbBrook.jpg

Travellers Rest, Lumb Brook.

StocktonHeathlookingtowardsLondonBridge.jpg

London Road looking towards London Bridge.

StocktonHeathLondonRoadlookingtowardsLondonBridgetheLondonBridgePubfarcentreright.jpg

London Road looking towards London Bridge, the London Bridge Pub is far centre right.

StocktonHeathLondonRoadHillCliffe.jpg

London Road, by the Hill Cliffe Hydro.

StocktonheathLondonRoadfromVictoriaSquare1897.jpg

Stockton Heath Village, 1897. This year, Stockton Heath became a Parish in it's own right when it seperated from Appleton.

StocktonHeathLakeOpenAirBaths.jpg

Stockton Heath Lake Open Air Baths.

StocktonHeathLake3.jpg

Stockton Heath Lake.1.

StocktonHeathLake2.jpg

Stockton Heath Lake.2.

StocktonHeathLake1.jpg

Stockton Heath Lake.3.

StocktonHeathGrappenhallRoad.jpg

Grappenhall Road.

StocktonheathFairfieldRoad.jpg

Fairfield Road.

StocktonHeathEllesmereRoad.jpg

Ellesmere Road.

StocktonHeathc1860VictoriaSquarewithJimmySwintonsCottages.jpg

1860. Victoria Square with Jimmy Swinton's Cottages.

StocktonHeathBridgeMay1905Tramtestrun001.jpg

Stockton Heath Bridge, May 1905, Tram test run.

StocktonHeathbeforethetrams.jpg

Stockton Heath before the trams.

StocktonHeath1910.jpg

Stockton Heath 1910.

Stocktonheath1909.jpg

Stockton Heath1909. was this the first Chippie' in the village.

StocktonHeath1904layingnewTramlinesinLondonRoad.jpg

1904. Laying new tram lines in London Road.

StocktonHeath-TheVillageMilkmaninLondonRoad.jpg

The Village Milkman in London Road, the young lad doesn't look old enough to smoke a pipe!.

StocktonHeath-Birchdale.jpg

Birchdale Road.

StocktonHeath-BirchdaleCottages.jpg

Birchdale Cottages.

StocktonHeath-21stFeb1907001.jpg

1907. Feb, 21st. New tram and a new Mull' for the village.

Anyone interested in old photos of Warrington could do worse than visit the Gallery at Bank Quay House tomorrow (Wednesday) where there will be a free exhibition of some 600 old lantern slides put on by Warrington Photographic Society. Some date from as early as 1891.

Not sure how long the exhibition is on.

Great photo's as usual Algy :D

Question... re: the one of "Stockton Heath Village in 1897 when it became a Parish" ....... any idea where that is as I can't place the bend in the road etc ?

Also on the one looking towards London Bridge you can see part of the old cycle shop on the left which is now the Fish and Chip shop...

Here's another picture of it although not from the same year as yours as it looks bigger and the signs are different on the front. Not a very good photo I'm afraid but I may try and enhance it later :oops:

KnightsCycleDepot1898nowharryschip.jpg

The Opening of Knight's Stockton Heath Cycle Depot in 1898. The kids and bikes in the photo are all 'dressed up' to represent nursery rhymes apparently.

Here's a few more of Stockton Heath I have too.. again not great photos but no time to tweak them.

Robert Hamblett's Forge at the bottom of Walton Road which opended in 1772. Photo dated about 1870. Hamblett sold out to the Caldwells in 1885 (their Forge was further down in the centre of the the village)

HamblettsForge1772photo18701.jpg

Hamblett's old building then became the Grand Clothing Hall on just on the right in this photo is Mark Cross's Bootmakers

HamblettsForgecwdavenportcrop.jpg

The building then became derelict and was rebuilt as a house and workshop by Charles W Davenport, a local builder.

And Charles W Davenport & Sons built this... the old Stockton Heath Primary School which opened in May 1910. In the front of the photo you can see the old allotments on West Avenue which years later was acquired became the schools all weather pitch. There were a number of air raid shelters found on this bit of land a few years ago.

picturesfromoldPC599.jpg

Arial View merely to show the size of the building. Not bad for a local builder who actually lived and worked in the village eh :wink:

oldschoolariel-1.jpg

a painting of inside Caldwells Forge showing the workers...

CaldwellsForgeinside.jpg

The old cottages opposite St Thomas's Church. Built in 1838 and some were later converted into shops. The front gardens were lost in 1906 to make room for the tramway.

Cottagesoppositechurchbuilt1838nowshops.jpg

and finally Walton Road looking towards the village c1890.

On the left are Toll Bar Cottages (names after the Toll Gate which was once on the road). On the right is the shop that used to stand on the corner of Whitefield Road prior to road widening. In the distance is the builders yard where the garage now is.

An just visible is the roof of Ebenezer the original Wesleyan Methodist Church.

WaltonRoadandTollBarRow1898nowharryschip.jpg

Too much information maybe... :lol: Appologies about the quality of the pics :oops:

I found a couple more on my PC

The original old Victoria Square Building

StocktonHeathHilalBuildingbuiltc190.jpg

and after it's complete demolition replaced with the new modern day building... the metal 'dome' was retained from the original building

DSCF3488.jpg

I'll stop now as I am hijacking Algy's wonderful post by putting modern day photos and too much talk :oops:

Question... re: the one of "Stockton Heath Village in 1897 when it became a Parish" ....... any idea where that is as I can't place the bend in the road etc ?

Dizz, I'm sure that was taken from outside the 'Red lion' looking down towards the lower end of the village.

Dizz, I'm sure that was taken from outside the 'Red lion' looking down towards the lower end of the village.

You are probably right there Algy but the buildings in the forefront on the right are confusing me. The three storey one on the left could well be what is now Clarks Shoe Shop (formerly Robert's Shoes and prior to that Carters Bakers and Confectioners.)

When was the old Mull demolished and the new one built?

I trust your word though as you know more than me as you are older and far wiser :wink::lol:

Is the Ellesmere rd picture taken from outside the grave yard?

I had them the other way round until I noticed the Cantilever in the background, even though it had the names on the pictures. :roll:

You muppet :lol::lol: It's people like you who lighten my day Peter and make me seem bright :lol::P

....and yes the Ellesmere Road one was taken from where the graveyard now is :wink:

Is the Ellesmere rd picture taken from outside the grave yard?

I had them the other way round until I noticed the Cantilever in the background, even though it had the names on the pictures. :roll:

You muppet :lol::lol: It's people like you who lighten my day Peter and make me seem bright :lol::P

....and yes the Ellesmere Road one was taken from where the graveyard now is :wink:

Takes one to know one. :wink:

If you stand under the Cantilever and look towards ST.Heath, the houses look identical with an expanse of grass next to them.

It was where Mill Lane playing field is now.

The lake is named "Mill Pond" on the map of 1875 and was part of Latchford Flour Mill.

You can see where I mean of you go on the Cheshire Council Victorian E-mapping site Tithe Map site here

http://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithemaps/Default.aspx

and type in the postcode WA4 2AW

then select whatever map you want ie Tithe map, 1875, 1910, 1975 or current day or land ownership etc and you can compare them side by side. Quite good fun and you can do it for most areas in Warrington if you are 'odd' like me :lol::wink:

No idea when it was actually filled in but wouldn't have thought it was filled with the earth from the MSC construction as the MSC was built about 1887 to 1894 and the Mill Pond is still shown on the 1910 maps. You could be right though as maybe the nearby land was raised with the soil from the digging and then 'redistributed' and leveled out at a later date.

I haven't got any maps between 1910 and 1970 to see when it disapeared but maybe someone else has.

I would like to know though and maybe Stockton Heath Parish Council or the library have more info... I may try and find out for no other reason that ticking one of my 'I Wonder' boxes :lol:

Interesting. Could be something for me to look at on my next visit to Warrington Library. I'm already doing something on Warrington players who died in the Great War, but due to circumstances (work) haven't been able to get over too much this season. next time 'm home 'll make some enqs.

Some more info that may be useful to you re that Mill Pond/Stockton Heath Lake if you go library searching.

At the time of the Mill

The lower end of the 'Mill Pool' (near the scout hut) was in the Township of Appleton, Parish of Great Budworth

The upper end was in the Township of Grappenhall, Parish of Grappenhall... later called 'Latchford Without'. How confusing is that.

The occupier was a Joseph Blinstone and reference elsewhere shows a Joseph Blinston being a miller and farmer at Latchford Corn Mill although it does say 'Flour' Mill on the 1875 old map.. same difference I suppose

The rest of Mill Lane playing field as it's called now was called 'The Windmill Field'.

Might point you in the right direction for finding out why and when it was filled in :wink:

Would be nice if it was still there though 8)