Alziemers screening?

observer

• 1 month later...

I have worked in elderly/dementia residential for over 17 yrs and I wouldn't scoff as it quite possibly could happen to you.These days more and more people are succombing to this dreadful disease due to stressful jobs and increased alcohol intake amongst other things.

I am at present helping look after my mother-in -law which is very distressing for me as she's one of 'my own'.At work sometimes I can distance myself but to look after your own is very debilitating.It has been found that Vit B12 can help stave off the onset of Alzheimers..I think all over 60's should take this.Dementia tends to miss a generation...so think on!!

Long time no hear young lady and hope like me your keeping well. Sorry to hear about your mum in law but on the bright side if you're already there to look after her that's gota be a godsend.

I understand what people are saying here about having to laugh about it or crack up, I found much the same when I was helping to care for my mother in law but I think there's a line somewhere here that some just aren't seeing.

If people are living longer, then it stands to reason that any sort of disease that's age related is going to come to the forefront. We all have to die sometime but while some say that if they ever end up with Alzheimer's then put a gun to their heads but I don't see it that way. I watched my mother in law slowly degrade until her body basically couldn't even remember how to work but through all this time she didn't suffer. I then contrast this with my father who died of lung cancer after an equally long period during which his suffering was constant and intolerable.

Maybe I'm a coward but if it came to a choice, I'll take the Alzheimer's every time.

Bill :)

Hi Bill,glad you're well too :D

Can't say I agree with you about preffering to have Alzheimers..I understand it's debilitating for the families but what about the sufferers?I did the dementia training several years ago and only then can you understand where each individual is 'stuck'.....

# some still think their on an early shift.

#some still think they have to get to school to pick up their children

#some still think they live with their parents

#some think their parents are still alive

#some divorcees only remember their first spouses..the list is endless

I totally agree about their bodies totally forgetting how to function,and you know why they are living longer?Because they have no stress,no worries..it's not very often you see a tormented look on their faces.

It's a good job there are people who really care about the job that they do and I thank them for the wonderful job that they do,as I now realise how hard it is when it is your own..

When my time comes..hand me the gun.......

That's ok everyone to their own opinion I suppose and as I said, having seen two parents both suffer long terminal illnesses, I know what I'd chose.

I know it's is difficult for the relatives, but provided they try and prepare themselves and accept the inevitable, then I think it can be a bit less painful.

As I remember, my mother in law had no pain to deal with and for the most of the time she was just very confused. We had pretty much everything you mentioned on your list but we all got through it ok. I know in the early days, I used to have a devil of a job taking here home after Sunday lunch. She was always adamant that she didn't live at her house and would insist I take her to her home which is now Sainsbury's car park. When it came time for her to go, we were all prepared and she left this world peacefully with a smile on her face.

It's not something I'd wish on anyone but at least from my experience there's no pain involved and the person can be blissfully unaware of what's happening.

Anyway good to see you popping in again. Take care and give my regards to any of the girls who might remember me.

Bill :)

Niether have I, just picked up on Omega3(?) in oily fish, which supposed to ease arthritis too. :? Terminal diseases at least provide the sufferer the oportunity to die with dignity and not suffer a lingering painfull death or indeed burden loved ones and the State. Dementia affects loved ones more, by taking away the person they knew and just leaving a shell - and they'd keep forgetting to top themselves anyway. :?