Choice?

observer

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that all stages of building work was inspected by the council who agreed to let it go on or some reputable inspection service.

Footings in correctly?

Yes, tick the box carry on to the next stage.

No, put right the fault and get the inspector back before any more work is done.

I used to buy apples from Bents garden centre, not sure if the fruit shop is still their, They were all British varieties very nice, not one of them had been near nitrogen. They did not look as nice and shiny as the supermarket ones but taste is everything :!:

Very difficult to get apples that haven't been near nitrogen, given that the atmosphere is 78% nitrogen. Perhaps they grow them on the moon? :?:?:?:?

Apples are also stored in Nitrogen atmosphere so they stay fresh asperity, I would have thought you would have known that, but then again :wink:

I think you will find that they are stored in an oxygen deficient atmosphere. It isn't the nitrogen that keeps them fresh but the lack of oxygen which stops them oxydising (oxydise - oxygen, see the link? But then again :wink: ) :roll::roll:

The ideal way to store apples is to cool them to around zero degrees Celsius as soon as possible after picking them and store them in a well ventilated area with humidity in the range of 85-95%. If apples are frozen they will spoil quickly after thawing.

Very large apple producers also have controlled atmospheres where they replace the oxygen in the storage chamber with nitrogen gas to reduce cellular respiration.

They were all British varieties very nice, not one of them had been near nitrogen.

This is what you said LtKije. And all I'm doing is trying to educate you as to the reality that, as 78% of the air we breathe is actually nitrogen, it would be very difficult to find an apple that hadn't been near nitrogen. Is that concept a bit difficult for you to get your grey matter around? :roll::roll::roll::roll:

I thought the people I was talking to were educated and new apples were stored in a nitrogen atmosphere, obviously I was wrong :!::wink:

When you go to these stores you will find their are Nitrogen generators. They pump Nitrogen in which pushes the air out. They do not remove the oxygen as you were insinuating.