Spellin

harry hayes

It reeks to me of scoring cheap points.

Hapy dys

Like Peter says Harry it's only usually a bit of banter but in my case I wish the forum did have a spell checker as I think quikcer than I type and often just hit submit and then notice my 'errors' :oops:

However, as I was possibly the last person to post a reply to someone about spellings (which may have prompted this topic from you) I would just like to say that yes Harry in that instance

I was trying to score a point :D ........ 'Lybia'.... good grief ???

Victor deserved it and I'm sure he wont have taken any offence as he's clearly not that bright :lol::wink:

Eye Halve a Spelling Chequer

Eye halve a spelling chequer

It came with my pea sea

It plainly marques four my revue

Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word

And weight four it two say

Weather eye am wrong oar write

It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid

It nose bee fore two long

And eye can put the error rite

Its rarely ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it

I am shore your pleased two no

Its letter perfect in it's weigh

My chequer tolled me sew.

Not sure what this has to do with Local issues. :wink:

I use firefox and that comes with an option to add different dictionaries for spell checking services so that any errors get highlighted much the same as in any word processor. It allows you to type whatever you want and at any speed you feel comfortable with. All spelling errors are highlighted and a simple right click will supply a list of possible words. Any words that are not in the dictionary but you know are spelled correctly can be added as well so that the next time it comes up spelt incorrectly then it will be highlighted.

Still it does not help with punctuation and grammar but that is another kettle of fish. I would assume that most browsers these days have a spell check facility and should all have a British English dictionary as an add on. :wink:

Peter I have a feeling that it was Norman Stanley Fletcher. Think it was one of the song lines he sang whilst in jail/goal doing porridge. But I am not certain of that. I do remember the one he sang in an episode "Born free. till somebody caught me". :lol:

Harry, I don't think you are really bothered about spelling mistakes being 'picked up on', I think it's perhaps the 'intent' behind the criticism which bothers you? Mostly it's as Peter says, just 'banter'.

You said you?ve noticed it on various topics and that it reeks to you of scoring cheap points. I noticed a criticism re spelling on one particular topic that wasn't anything to do with point scoring or even point making, it's the intent in that type of criticism I'd call cheap!

From your further remarks re 'the heat in the kitchen' I take it that perhaps the topic you were referring to was not the one I mentioned above but a different topic containing a somewhat heated debate. A debate in which I have picked up a spelling error, the intent behind which I feel was clear and was not uncalled for considering some of the remarks that had been posted by the person to whom my post was addressed.

Whatever Harry, as you don?t appear to like the mode in which I have been making my point I will try to refrain from using it. Perhaps a rather more forthright style might be more appropriate - and a hell of a lot more fun! :wink::lol::lol::lol: