Being Manipulated by the USA Again.

algy

NATO is a cypher for the US, so they'll still be pulling the strings. While Dave and Sarky delight in playing wargames and supporting "the rebels" for regime change in Libya, some unintended consequences are already appearing. Seems the authoritarian dictatorships in N/Africa have been usefull gate keepers in preventing a tsunami of immigration into Europe from southern Africa. Well, not anymore, the current anarchy has resulted in thousands of Tunisians (the one's that are now "free") and Libyans (soon to be "free") making their way into Italy, via the Sicilian Island of Lampedusa, where they are being held in detention camps. Such are the numbers, that sanitation is at risk and epidemics are now feared. Overwhelmed, the Italians are asking other EU Countries to take "their share" of the burden. So perhaps our warships would be better employed taking these "searchers for a better life" straight back to Africa, and start preventing anymore coming across - or would that contravene their human rights?! :roll:

Nope, I would hope I would have sufficient patriotism to fight to change my country from within - not go cap in hand on a global scrounge. As for these "tyrants" - the traditional view has always been, that they are tolerated, as long as they are OUR puppets and act in OUR National interest. :shock:

So you would have died, rather than left.

Nope, I would hope I would have sufficient patriotism to fight to change my country from within - not go cap in hand on a global scrounge

Somehow I don't beleive your quote Obs, Its easy to say that with NATO planes flying above :wink:

Your meandering around assumptions to try and justify migration - and on such a basis, there'd be no one living in Gaza, S/Lebonon or Sri Lanka for example - some folk actually believe in their own Countries of origin (for good or bad) - otherwise, most Brits would have left for Oz by now! :lol:

Meandering :shock:

I don't think so, I to believe Obs, but I also think people have a right to freedom and not be oppressed, Its a shame you do not feel the same way :wink:

Kije.... can you define freedom?

My idea of freedom is freedom from EU domination, yours may well differ?

What is freedom?

Even parliamentary democracies represent the dictatorship of the majority, so limit the "freedom" of the minority - fraid nothings perfect in an inperfect world. Most folk settle for three meals a day and the right to breed. The problem with argueing for a moral and ethical future for this world, is that, such a policy would need to 1) have unanimous support within the UN - which will never happen. 2) Be consistently and fairly applied to all - can you imagine trying to dictate human rights to the Chinese, with a no fly zone - clearly a non starter. Which basically leaves us with the current self interest and hypocracy - and as long as OUR Government pursues OUR self interest - we can just be thankfull for our good fortune. :cry:

Freedom of speech is only tolerated here, as it's generally ineffective and countered by the establishment through their monopoly of the press and political class. :roll: These "revolts" owe their origins more to economic discontent (rising food prices and reduced buying power) than to any notion of "freedom" - folk get desperate when they begin to starve. :shock: If someone is effective in the West - they'll close ranks to discredit them and even put them away - like Julian Assange. :shock: