Are you middle class?

observer

According to Mrs sid I am in a class of my own. not quite sure though if she meant it as a compliment or and insult.OH well :lol::?:twisted:

I started off working class (despite a grammar school education), worked myself up to an office job, which would put me as middle class, then back down to working class after suffering a nervous breakdown. Now consider myself as a classic case of don't know or really care. :roll:

For some reason, the British have always clung to a sense of "class", so everyone knows their place in a deferential society. However, new money has somewhat blurred traditional boundaries, even so, one's class is usually announced when one opens one's mouth. As Asp says, if one works for a living, imo one is assumed to be "working class"; this then leaves two other groups - those who have never had to work but have money and breeding; and those who have never worked but have no money and breed like rabbits! :wink:

I go to work for Mr Hardacre in the mill, that makes me Working class

I am the Mill Manager at Mr Hardacre?s mill therefore I must be Middle class

I am Mr Hardacre and have the name Hardacre?s Mill over the gate of the mill, I AM UPPERCLASS!.

Obs, those that you describe as having breeding, don't think of themselves as upper class they believe they are superior to that and would describe themselves as nobility or privileged to me they are hangers on and as you say most have never contributed a days work in their life.

Come the revolution comrades :wink:

Everyone "working" at the mill is working class; the Upper Class will have shares in the mill, while the new "lower" class will think working at the mill to be too menial, so will continue to rely on benefits! :lol:

Not quite accurate obs, methinks being a shareholder of the mill does not alter your status in society. :wink:

As we know from current "revolutions", the key player is the Army - all recruits into the Army swear an oath to the Queen, not to the Parliament, the Country or the People. The Queen represents the pinnacle of our class structure, with everyone below scrambling for their niche on the slippery pyramid! :wink: PS. If you have sufficient capital, your money works in your stead, thus your no longer working class. :?

Under the original definitiion, the "middle class" consisted of professional people - and there were very few recognised professions in those days - doctors, lawyers, perhaps architects, accoundants.

Anyone below them were working class. The landed gentry above them were upper class.

I think the point is this: You can't help what class you were born into. You have no say in the matter.

Unfortunately you do get some people who think they are better than most other people, and some people who, through some sort of inverted snobbery, despise those who happen to have been born more fortunate than they.

However, in my view, in the present day, "class", while it still exists, has nothing whatsover to do with money. If it did, Posh, Becks, Wayne Rooney, Elton John, etc, etc, would all be aristocracy.

Ye Gods - I think I would sooner tug my forelock to the original artistocracy!