History of Warrington Police Force, (One for Harry)

algy

Now those really were Happy days. Pre the amalgmationof1969 Warrington borough police really was an efficient police force cos we had all the equipment and all the man power. Add to that the town was half the size it is now and there was 50% less paperwork. The courts were streamlined by todays standards. Morale was high cos we were all fighting.for Warrington's best interests and had the time and inclination to do it.

The museum is a labour of love and if you get the chance of a guided tour it is well worth taking. See the escape cell which had to be re-enacted in front of the chief constable because he refused to believe the sergeant hadn't left the door open

Should you go and have a close look, you will find the only Warrington borough police warrant card in existence - mine, together with my handsome features thereon, plus one or two other of my bits and pieces, and sporting police photos when I was faster and trickier than currently is the case.

Pardon my enthusiasm, but I loved Waqrrington Borough Police and am saddenned to see the morass into which the police service has descended ( i.e almost no service remains.) The last paragraph of the article, for me, was most emotional.

Happy days

Only read half of it so far but what a fascinating read it is and you must have so many memories Harry especially as you mention yours is the only warrant card on display. Worth going just to see your 'mugshot' as you put it :lol::wink:

I had the 1881 census open at the same time as reading it and was flicking back and too so it wouldn't time me out so I typed in 'Watchman' and 'Warrington' and it only came up with two watchmen at the time those being Thomas CHAMBERLAIN age 50 and Richard MONKS age 69 .

I'm sure there must have been many more though.

I'd love to go on the tour of the police museum as it sounds really interesting but I'm sure I read a while ago that it by prior booking only so I guess they wouldn't open it just for one visitor.

Any idea how many they need for the tour Harry :?

It's slightly outgrown the excellent one-man (Peter Wroe) but he is perhaps the prime mover.

Someone connected with the museum told me that it was a bit irksome to be called in to run a tour and find it was for just one person. He was thinking more like 6, but i am sure that if anyone was say, from America, they would be accommodated. And of course, they have the very occasionl "open day"

Happy days

Deep down in the cells at Warrington police station, mainly in what used to be the female block.

Should you be in a hurry to view the museum and soak up the

atmosphere, go out and break your neighbours window.

No Cortinas or Angelas,as one detective used to call them.

Happy days