Blood for Sale?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea that my blood is being stored by the blood transfusion service before it goes to save lives :wink:

1. It's not YOUR blood any more, you donated it (donated means gave).

2. It doesn't matter who stores it as long as it is kept in a fit for purpose condition. If this can be done better and cheaper by a private company then you have no complaint.

3. Saying you will no longer donate if private companies are involved is plain childish.

I remember the first time that I gave blood at the cantteen of Lucas Electrical. I just been learning yoga and wanted to read my Athletics Weekly. I slowed my heart beat down and nearly managed to read my magazine before I had to go back to work.

The nurse gave me a wooden block to squeeze so that my pulse would increase the blood flow. Prior to that it had only been trickling out. Not to worry the tea and biscuits gave me another ten minutes :lol: of reading time and I think that I managed to solve a computer problem into the bargain.

The first time I donated blood was in Hong Kong (the mate told us cadets we would only be allowed shore leave if we did - no pressure there then :lol::lol: ). There was no tea afterwards, but an ice cold bottle of San Miguel instead. Much more civilised in Hong Kong :wink::wink:

It seems that some on here think that no profit making companies should ever be allowed to supply the public sector?

Taken to it's logical conclusion in the case of the blood transfusion service this would mean:-

no needles, tubes or packs to collect blood into - all manufactured by profit making companies,

no staff to collect blood - they're either supplied by profit making agencies or permanent vacancies are advertised in profit making newspapers and trade periodicals,

no vehicles to transport staff and blood - again, manufactured by profit making companies,

no storage for blood - fridge manufacturers and maintenance companies make money too

no testing or screening of blood - all the equipment and materials needed to do this come from profit making companies

no distribution of blood to hospitals - no vehicles, remember?, oh, and no fuel from profit making oil companies either!

no communication between blood transfusion staff and donors, hospitals or anyone else - phones, computers, e-mail services, letter printers and even postal services are all provided by profit making companies.

So by all means, lets not let private companies make profits out of blood donations - and lets see what sort of blood transfusion service that leaves us with!

Asp you were joking when you said the Telegraph was balanced weren't you, It freely admits to supporting the Tory party :wink:

Inky

I completely disagree with companies making money on what I gave freely. And your way to cut costs is to cut pay and conditions, and when they have bled their misfortunate employees dry they might cut costs by not storing it properly. Look what happened when they privatised hospital cleaners, the job was not done properly. :!:

What I said was the report in the Telegraph was balanced i.e. it gave views from both sides of the argument rather than just the pro union rants in the left wing rags who share your strange hatred for the private sector companies who actually produce the revenue to allow us to have a public sector in the first place. :roll::roll::roll:

What I said was the report in the Telegraph was balanced i.e. it gave views from both sides of the argument rather than just the pro union rants in the left wing rags who share your strange hatred for the private sector companies who actually produce the revenue to allow us to have a public sector in the first place. :roll::roll::roll:

That's below the belt Asperity. his world is bound to crumble.

It always amuses me when people say this paper is Tory and this paper is Labour. What they are really doing is saying that people cannot assimilate information and that is an insult.

Given the contrived news instead of reporting the facts, I was always guided by what crossword I liked to do. I think that would be non-political.

your way to cut costs is to cut pay and conditions

And staffing levels too!!! In my extensive experience of the public sector - any areas which are not overpaid or over feather-bedded are most certainly overstaffed!!!

they might cut costs by not storing it properly.

Never bought anything chilled or frozen from a shop or supermarket??? You trusted a nasty, evil, capitalist oppressor of it staff to store that correctly - didn't you.

Look what happened when they privatised hospital cleaners, the job was not done properly. :!:

Privatised cleaners maybe, but NHS (mis)managers responsible for - and extremely well paid for - awarding the contracts, specifying the frequency and quality to which the job was to be done, supervising the staff actually doing the job, and holding the cleaning companies to their contractual obligations.

And, of course, public sector staff never, ever get anything wrong.

They would never leave mothers to give birth in hospital waiting rooms assisted only by a passing stranger, never keep babies organs in jars for decades after the parents thought they'd buried them, never ignore a childs injuries for the 16th time because Mum's new boyfriend says the kid "is clumsy", never refuse to answer a 999 call from someone having a heart attack 200 yards away because "they're on their tea-break".

For God's sake, stop taking the fantasy pills and join us in the real world. It's not as nice a place as your workers paradise, but at least it actually exists!

It always amuses me when people say this paper is Tory and this paper is Labour. What they are really doing is saying that people cannot assimilate information and that is an insult.

The Telegraph themselves say they support the Tory Party Peter, so there is no need to assimilate, just take them at their word. :wink: and are you trying to say the Telegraph is not a right leaning paper, a yes or no will do, though I don't expect to here from you :wink: you could always look it up :wink:

So inky you are admitting that the privatisation of hospital cleaners did not work :?:

It always amuses me when people read a newspaper and don't know when they are being taken in. Newspapers offer opinion, opinion always comes with a bias. :!:

So inky you are admitting that the privatisation of hospital cleaners did not work :?:

Yes, mainly because it was managed by public sector managers who obviously knew nothing about the procurement and performance monitoring of contracts to provide and organisation with services - but that's a long way from saying that privatisation as a whole does not work.

There are very few things which the public sector does which could not be done better and cheaper by the private sector - if only they were given the opportunity. Collecting, storing and distributing blood is not on that short list.

Any idea that the Private sector is more efficient than the Public sector is a myth.

The public sector has far higher sickness, absentee-ism and paid holiday rates than the private.

The public sector has far higher pension costs as a proportion of total labour costs than the private.

The public sector is FAR more dominated by unions than the private.

Public sector staff generally receive collectively bargained for payrises every year - whether or not each individual deserves a rise at all.

Public sector staff are paid less than their private sector counterparts (or so they constantly tell us!). If true, this means that any public sector worker with an ounce of ambition and more brain cells than fingers will have already left to work in the private sector.

.....and you still think public sector staff can come anywhere near those in the private sector in terms of efficiency and productivity?????

The public sector has far higher sickness, absentee-ism and paid holiday rates than the private.

Public sector staff are paid less than their private sector counterparts (or so they constantly tell us!). If true, this means that any public sector worker with an ounce of ambition and more brain cells than fingers will have already left to work in the private sector.

The private and public sector workforces are different. As the private sector employs more unskilled workers on the minimum wage than the public sector, and the public sector has a high proportion of professional workers (such as teachers and doctors) it is not surprising that average pay is higher in the public sector.

The public sector has far higher pension costs as a proportion of total labour costs than the private.

Many in the private sector cannot afford to be in a pension scheme :!:

The public sector is FAR more dominated by unions than the private

So what

Public sector staff generally receive collectively bargained for pay rises every year - whether or not each individual deserves a rise at all.

Could mention bank bonuses, does not see to make a difference if they are in profit or not they get them

That statement tells you all you need to know about you:!: Congratulations you have just written off, Nurses, Fireman, Policemen and Teachers too name but a few :!: