Which day for a Bank Holiday?

observer

This Gov want to get rid of the May Day BH and replace it with something else - so Which day would you prefer? Aside from the obvious Tory ideological fixation with May Day - the Comrades don't march anymore anyway - at least it's closer to the warmer weather. Why don't they work out which week summer is, and just slot it in there, and we can all look forward to grid lock as we escape to the seaside!? :roll:

Couldn't see the point of the Union's May Day. They should cancel all Bank Holidays and add the BH to annual leave so that all the Lemmings aren't on the road or shopping at the same time. I worked continental shifts and rarely got BH's off but had them as lieu days when I wanted them. Much better idea.

I think an "Employers Day" would be great. One day a year when employees work for nothing in recognition of their employers loyalty in continuing to keep them in work :D:D:D

I guess you'll only get me agreeing with you there PJ.......

What, with bank holidays, normal holidays, weekends, sick days and the compensation culture we seem to live in, it is hardly worthwhile employing anyone these days :cry:

You could always employ self employed people or contractors as you don't have to pay them then for all that :?

I rather like bank holidays for this reason as it forces my other half to have a day off as he has no choice in the matter :wink:

Don't we get less bank holidays than everyone else :?:

who is everyone else?

How many paid bank holidays do you think they get in China? or Taiwan? or Indonesia?

why do you think they do so well in the world these days? because their employers aren't throwing money at people to do nothing that's why :wink:

All employees are entitled to a statutory holiday allowance, which is the term given to the amount of paid leave that companies must, by law, offer their staff.

Employees in Finland, Brazil and France are entitled to receive as many as 30 days? statutory holiday a year, with those in Lithuania, Russia and the UK being entitled to 28 days. Poland (26) follows closely behind, with employees in Greece, Austria, Denmark, Sweden and Norway entitled to 25 days? statutory holiday.

By comparison, Asia-Pacific countries fare poorly with Australian, New Zealand and Japanese employees receiving the highest levels of statutory holidays (20) followed by Taiwan (15), Hong Kong and Singapore (14), India (12) and China (10). Employees in Canada are amongst those with the lowest entitlement with only 10 days and while there is no statutory minimum in the US, employees typically receive 15 days a year.

In addition to statutory holidays, public holidays can markedly increase the amount of time employees have off work. Japan and India top the global list with 16 days? public holiday a year, closely followed by Cyprus, Slovakia and South Korea with 15. Malta and Spain both have 14 while Portugal, Austria, Lithuania, Slovenia and Taiwan all have 13 days? public holiday. The UK, Australia and the Netherlands have the lowest number of public holidays (8) followed by Denmark, Ireland, Switzerland, Canada and Romania (9)and China (11).

I got Taiwan wrong :wink: