Medical Farce?

Peter T

This can't be right, surely?

A woman rang up today wanting the phone no. of our local MP.

It seems that she has been told by her ex Doctor that (allegedly) he will no longer deal with her and her two young children because she lives in Latchford and the surgery is on O'Leary St.

As I understand the situation, there was no notice of this.

The woman has been unable to get into another surgery. Latchford has had no spare capacity for a couple of years, and I believe that St. Heath is the same.

Just what is she supposed to do?

The ironic thing being, that this Doctor is playing into the hands of the plan for modern Medical Centres, that Doctors don't want.

IS this because of the new developments springing up everywhere? thus creating shortages.

2008 in civilised Britain? It's a joke. :x

Originally posted by Peter:

The ironic thing being, that this Doctor is playing into the hands of the plan for modern Medical Centres, that Doctors don't want.

From recent discussions I've had, it seems quite a number of them do now. I sense the change of heart has been brought about by them becoming involved in the process.

Wasting her time with contacting the MP.

Maybe best to get onto the PCT.

Although the process has changed I guess since I was involved with the NHS, doctors can't just chuck somebody off their list...maybe there is more to this story than meets the eye.

we obviously dont have the population here but when we emigrated 16 years ago you could just rock up at any doctors surgery...today you have to make an appointment[we dont our gp just tells us if there are no apps just call him or turn up..however we can go anywhere we like i remember when i wanted an appointment at honiton way we use to have to wait for a week for an appointment..tell the receptionist what your symptoms were and they would leave a script how dangerous is that !!!that isnt legally allowed to happen here...im appalled by the british health system and the waits and ill stop there... :x

Originally posted by Paul Kennedy:

Wasting her time with contacting the MP.

Maybe best to get onto the PCT.

Although the process has changed I guess since I was involved with the NHS, doctors can't just chuck somebody off their list...maybe there is more to this story than meets the eye.

Paul has a point the PCT will cucify a doctor if he or she is out of line in Warrington. The are believed to be trying to get rid of out moded practice or so the rumour mill wouldhave us believe.

[ 16.02.2008, 20:57: Message edited by: Geoff Settle ]

From personal experience the PCT are a terrible organisation to deal with, far worse than MP or the council. They don?t answer letters and when you push them for an a reply the question is not answered.

It is a total waste of time complaining, they take no notice. They are supposed to reply an acknowledgement within a few days thats a joke. If you are really pasionate about a complaint and have the money get a solicitor to do it.

They run the worst clinic in the North West ( Halliwell Jones) it is far from disabled friendly, they have been told and told by their user group yet refuse to do anything about it. They have telephone appointment answer phones that are never ever answered or listened to.

The standard of proffessional work has dropped because staff are not interested.

The staff who work ( the nursing and therapy not the clerks) for the PCT are trained in basic ?I don?t give a dam attitude? The clerks and receptionists are even worse.

Now the PCT will not pay if you have your eyes tested outside the Warrington area?? What difference does that make? Because I go the Northwich I have to pay private yet the scans still have to be sent to Warrington PCT.

They are determined to destroy the doctor patient relationship, they are involving doctors in their new idea, and although the doctors seem to have a say in what may happen it is what the PCT wants which will happen because they have the money.

The PCT is determined to have a new super surgery at Garvin place where all the town centre doctors will have to go or be frozen out.

Yes, it will be a new building with lots and lots of doctors and nurses, but I don?t see it providing a better service.

Originally posted by little fella:

The PCT is determined to have a new super surgery at Garvin place where all the town centre doctors will have to go or be frozen out.

Yes, it will be a new building with lots and lots of doctors and nurses, but I don?t see it providing a better service.

But it has the potential to. In the case of Garvin Place and Orford Park, with proper management and structure they could greatly benefit patients and talking to doctors, my understanding is that they are on board. My concern currently is that given the proximity to local elections, one party in particular will opose the idea......for electoral campaigning purposes, with no interest at all for the patients and doctors.....just to win another seat in Bewsey! Happened last year. :wink:

The PCT demonstrates the politicians dream, as with all Quangos; of power without accountability. :roll: ); are brought under some form of local democratic control; folk will continue to be ignored. :o As for organisation and structure, the Government has absolutely messed things up with pay rises to GPs for doing less and a good idea (ie super clinics) being cynically corrupted to reduce services. :o The Area Clinics should be an "as well as" not an "instead of" - so Paul, local Parties have every right to make it an election issue (though nationally not locally). :x

Paul ~ Doctors are being consulted (told) what is happening with the new surgeries. But at the moment details are scant. The only good thing at the moment in it is a new building.

From what I can see, there are going to be an awful lot of doctors, nurses, consultants, and health care professionals x-ray, physio, foot clinic, dieticians, breast screening, Dentist., each have their own admin staff. There was mention of taking some of the load off A+E as well.

Just how many people are they going to put into this new building? Is there going to be car parking? How are people going to get from the bus station to there?

The PCT I am sure have an agenda, but they do not share very much. If it is not what the people want there will certainly be trouble again. I hope that it does become a political time bomb again, it will keep the PCT on their toe?s, the last PCT farce only had a couple of councillors involved in the rest could not be bothered.

From my recent dealings with the PCT I don?t think that they are fit to run the health service, I would not pay them in washers. What is really sad thing is that they do not care what people think. They have set themselves up in a little empire and hold no regard for the service they provide.

It happend to my mum. Four years ago my mum was suffering with chest pains and my Dad called her Doctor or what she thought was her Doctor, she had been going to him for over 40yrs. She was informed that she was no longer on their list and that they had sent a letter out to inform her but they had never recieved any such letter. They would not send a GP out so my Dad took her to the ER.

When my Mum started going to her GP she was living of Orford Lane, then we moved to Great Sankey of Park Road and we all had the same GP for 25yrs there but my parents moved not too far from Asda but still in Great Sankey and it must of been at that time they removed her without notice. My brother who lives in Ladywood also not too far from Asda was not removed. What we couldn't understand is that the house they moved to was closer.

My mum had a heart attack but she recovered and has a new Docter now but when your going through something like that you like to go to a Doctor you know.

The GP is the one of Manchester road, they use to have a house but moved to a new building across the road.

The problem historically with GP services, is that they have evolved without any central planning or co-ordination; the result being clusters of surgeries in some areas, none in others. In other words, they are not geographically dispersed in a way that evenly spreads them across the Town where a "catchment" system could be better applied. :roll: We also have the historic nonesense of "choice" (as with schools); where many go to a GP because, "he's always been my Doctor" or " I believe he's the best in Town" - thus we have folk travelling across Town, passing other surgeries to see their family Doctor; instead of attending the nearest. :roll: So perhaps there is a case for a geographical review of GP locations, and the employment of a catchment system? Now we also have the spectre of "Super-Clinics", which, as a halfway house between GPs surgeries and Hospital; for the screening programmes and other devolved treatments is a fine ambition in increasing preventative health care. The problem is; instead of viewing them as an addition to a comprehensive health care network; PCTs and Gov are using the concept to terminate GPs surgeries in order (in my view) to save money. :o The money has been made avilable; but sadly wasted; on hair brained PFI schemes, a botched unproductive pay deal for GPs; the training of more Doctors that they found they couldn't employ etc etc. :o Perhaps it's time for an arms length NHS, free from Government interference and micro-management, free from half baked notions of competition; and with an inspectorate to ensure standards and provide redress for complaints? :confused: One thing is for certain, a blank page is required and some planning and vision required to get things organised.

That is because nearly all GPs are self employed contractors.

It is probably a generational thing, but most younger people don't care which doctor they see provided that they can get to see one within a reasonable period of time and they are competent.

I sense the days of the so called "family" doctor are coming to an end....personally I don't have a problem with that. If what is being planned enables more people to be treated more locally with a broad range of treatments there and then, then I'm all for it. Waiting to go to a hospital...worrying about it and then going is stressful. The concern for many people is that the proposed and the reality end up being two different things...and of course we humans don't particularly like change given that of course our experience of change is not always good.

Interestingly, by and large you don't get a choice of doctors when you go to hospital...especially in an emergency situation.