We're not a world power anymore...

Don't know anything about Matthew Norman, but read this tonight and found myself nodding in agreement:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/45bk8fl (Independent)

Here's a quote:

"For a while after Suez, with Harold Wilson defying intense pressure from LBJ to send combat troops to Vietnam, Britain seemed ready to outgrow the imperial pacifier and move on. Then the last historically important Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher, who wanted to be Churchill, resurrected it in the Falklands. Blair, who wanted to be Thatcher, sustained it, and now Cameron, who wants to be Blair, seems determined to do the same."

About time we let other nations have a go, eh?

It must be a power thing.

I would have thought that we had enough problems over here without trying to save the world.

Another thing that I don't understand is why we give all this money to Foreign countries. I understand the idea behind it, but if India spent their space program money on their poorer people instead, we wouldn't need to give them any (or as much).

I don't think it's anything to do with trying to 'save the world' or any other philanthropic aims it's basically about nothing other than greed and power.

So far as India is concerned, I agree the Indian Government should not be wasting money which could be better used to improve the lives of the poor, but how could the British Government criticise them for what they do themselves?

I don't think it's anything to do with trying to 'save the world' or any other philanthropic aims it's basically about nothing other than greed and power.

So far as India is concerned, I agree the Indian Government should not be wasting money which could be better used to improve the lives of the poor, but how could the British Government criticise them for what they do themselves?

Save the world was tongue in cheek.

But I disagree with your last paragraph. Maybe not criticise, but tell it how it is. :wink:

...it's basically about nothing other than greed and power...

I refer my learned friend to the use of the phrase "willy-waving" in the linked to article.

Regardless of what they do with it, and, perhaps, in contradiction to commonly held beliefs, Eastern economies have a bigger, er, "wave", than we do.