What the ........??

The police probably got involved because;-

1) It appeared to be an unreported death and not to report a death is illegal.

2) The death had been said to have been due to an overdose of mephedrone and vodka, both substances the supplying of which to teenagers is illegal.

From the details given in the article it appears as though 'Jaydon' probably doesn't exist and his face-book page was set up by two teenage girls to dupe another teenage girl into 'befriending' him who they could then upset by posting that he had died.

It wasn't just a joke, it was set up by two sicko bullies with malicious intent to deeply upset their victim, which they succeeded in doing the poor girl was said to be 'devastated'.

I don't think what they did was funny at all, I think they are two evil little bitches who should have been punished for what they've done. It doesn't give their ages just that they are 'teenagers' so anything between 13-19yrs old. Children a lot younger than 13yrs should know the difference between right and wrong, good and evil, so their ages are no excuse at all.

I think it was right that the police were involved, I would also have pulled in social services to /assess/monitor those two bullies......and their parents.

The only thing 'funny' about this incident is the 'extensive' efforts made by the police. A couple of phone calls/e-mails, a visit to the victim and interview with each of the bullies would have sorted it,....hardly what I would call 'extensive'.

So Sha, do all police forces have a department tasked with finding "criminal acts" being comitted on Facebook? Okay it was nasty, but that is what teenagers, especially female teens, do to each other, and hardly worthy of police time surely. :roll::roll::roll:

In the article it didn't state whether the police had had face-book under surveillance or whether they had just been informed of what was going on. But whatever, I wouldn't be surprised in this day and age of increasing public surveillance if the police were tuning in regularly to face-book. Criminals have been known to, to pick up info that kids unwittingly put on their sites such as the dates when they are going on a family holiday and their homes will be left unattended and ripe for robbing. In such cases, finding out who knew the house was empty by checking out who logged into the face-book site might save time and effort in catching the thieves. Face-book might also be a good resource for gleaning information on drug use, drug deals and ultimately drug dealers.

Re the bullying incident you say "OK it was nasty" well Asp I'd say it was more than nasty it was pre-meditated, malicious and downright sick and evil.

I also disagree with what you say in that "it is what teenagers, especially female teens, do to each other" Firstly there is probably very little difference with regards to gender when it comes to bullies even where threats/acts of physical violence are used. Secondly, I certainly don't think this type of sick behaviour is the norm for young people, most of whom have more sociable and sensitive inclinations, note that over 2,000 posted condolences on the R.I.P. site.

I think the police involvement in this case was probably due to there being a drug use and thus a drug dealing element. I wonder whether they would have got involved had it been bullying alone.

Bullying incidents don't seem to be taken seriously enough by either schools or the authorities even though there have been increasing numbers of suicides of victims of such offences.

As I said in my previous post I think the police involvement was justified and I would also pull in social services to monitor the bullies and their parents. Without intervention sicko kids grow into sicko adults....though I'm not sure whether any type of intervention could in fact yield any positive improvements in such cases of personality dysfunction....but I suppose trying is better than nothing.

I completely agree with Sha..... what these two girls did is NOT normal behaviour and I found it rather sickening. Yes the police should have been involved and the girls dealt with accordingly.

A joke is a joke but that certainly WASN'T one !

Sha, you have my sympathy. I hope you get better soon.

Asperity, you have my sympathy, as I've previously said some cases of personality dysfunction are impervious to help. So if you choose to carry on deluding yourself that you are the font of all knowledge and that yours is the only opinion worthy of note you can do so. Those of us with more socially sympathetic attitudes also tend to have more tolerance of 'the afflicted' I see no reason why I cannot extend such tolerance to yourself.

Asperity, you're obviously deeply concerned with increasing state intervention with regard to public privacy, a lot of people are. Re this incident you've focused on the police intervention and maybe the surveillance techniques they've used. I have focused on the actual incident and considering the harm done to the victim I think the police intervention was justified, and as face-book was used as a medium to inflict the harm police surveillance of the site in this case was appropriate.

If you started this thread to open up a discussion/criticism of increased state intervention I would have thought you intelligent enough to have chosen a better example than this incident.

I would also have thought you intelligent enough to have chosen a better way of disagreeing with my opinion, your condescending attitude was not appreciated, so be warned, should you address me in such a manner again I will not refrain from retaliating in a forceful and equally impolite manner! :twisted::lol::lol::lol:

I completely agree with Sha..... what these two girls did is NOT normal behaviour and I found it rather sickening. Yes the police should have been involved and the girls dealt with accordingly.

A joke is a joke but that certainly WASN'T one !

I tend to agree.