Dave's toy box!

observer

Back to Dave's toy box: seems he's just itching to get us involved in Libya; pushing the idea of a "no fly zone" like a regular salesman. Errm, just how are we going to get "our" aircraft (those we still have) over there Dave, on the back of a French Carrier? mind you, it could save 2,400 RAF redundancies and the waste of newly trained pilots! However, as the use of the Libyan Airforce appears quite limited anyway and their pilots don't appear to be committed to hitting their targets, a "no fly" zone already appears as redundant as most of Dave's toys. :roll:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should stay out of it altogether, surely we've had enough of crusading and antagonising the Muslim world into a resentment of us? However - in modern warfare, in order to safely overfly an area, all anti-aircraft & radar assetts need to be taken out first. Whilst in Libya's case these may be fairly antiquated, they would probably be sited near schools and hospitals, to provide a human shield. Such military action would no doubt justify Gadafi's claim, that the West's involvment is further proof of their interest in oil supply - rather than any altruistic concern for Libyans. The effect of the Libyan Airforce todate appears minimal in any case, as their pilots appear reluctant to fire on or bomb their own people; and progress todate has occured due to his Army assets (tanks & artillery). :shock:

I'm sorry to have to admit it but on this occasion I have to agree with both Obs and LtKije. Not for the same reason but I do agree we should leave them to sort it out for themselves. I saw the ridiculous General Dannatt on Newsnight tonight saying we had an interest in the region because we supported King Idris in the fifties. Leave it!! They aren't worth the worry. We only get 9% of our oil from Libya anyway. :wink::wink:

We only get 9% of our oil from Libya anyway. :wink::wink:

I wonder what the percentage of immigrants in the UK are Libyan.

I heard today that even with all the contractors working in the oil industry out in Libya, there are still more Libyans in the UK than there were Britains in Libya before the problems.... if there is all that work doing oil related stuff in their own country, why are so many over here!!

Well, we may have backed the wrong horse on this one. IF Gadafi takes control of the oil, he may not be inclined to let us have any, but sell it to the Russians and Chinese instead, who will no doubt veto any (legal) military action against him by the UN. :wink:

I wondered why Gadafi hadn't used the full weight of his military; seems he was nervous of pre-emptive strikes by the West. Now that threat appears to be receding, the rebels can look forward to a good dose of repression; and we can look forward to receiving their assylum seekers. :roll:

So what are you proposing Kije? That we invade every Country with a repressive regime? Well it could be a long list - starting with Zimbawe, Burma, N/Korea and of course the biggy - China. The West hasn't the troops or the will to sacrifice them on some "liberal" ideal, especially when more pragmatic economic considerations are involved. :shock:

Just as Dave was getting the remaining RAF fighter planes out of his toy box, ready to bomb the hell out of Libya; with at least (unlike Bliar) a cover note of legality from the UN; Gadafi neutralises their intent by declaring a ceasefire (in order to safeguard civilians!). So Dave's little macho attempt at a neo-colonialist intervention would appear to be punching the air. So it's clearly not OK for Despots to kill their own people with the weapons we've been selling them for years, but (as in Iraq) it's OK for us to do it. It's OK for us to insist on regime change in Countries with oil resources, but the principle doesn't hold for those without oil or that possess a nuclear capability - Macheavelli would be proud of the hypocracy and inconsistency of it all! :roll: